Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-24-2016, 09:55 PM - 3 Likes   #106
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I take my K-30 to the beach with my 18-135. When I leave I wash it off with the surf gear, same shower. People stare.

The K-30 is an offroad beast.

05-25-2016, 02:19 PM   #107
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It makes no sense to talk about features in a vacuum - features ultimately depend on who the target users are. The K-3ii was a forerunner of the K-1, clearly aimed as primary users at landscape and similar photographers. Now that those users have the K-1 available, the sensible thing would be to aim the top of the APS-C line at those who would benefit more from APS than from FF. One possibility would be to aim more at sports and wildlife photographers {the B&H newsletter I received today talked about using the Nikon D500 while touring Central Park with Audubon leadership}, keeping GPS, and giving higher burst rate, pipeline capacity, and better low-light performance; then perhaps the K-70 would have on-board flash, better video and other things that would be more valued by "general" users.
05-25-2016, 03:31 PM   #108

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
It makes no sense to talk about features in a vacuum - features ultimately depend on who the target users are.
It may not make sense but it can be a lot of fun.
05-25-2016, 03:31 PM   #109
Forum Member

So glad I stumbled across this site. I was about to upgrade my K30 to a K3-ii but will now have to wait and see what the K-70 has to offer. The K3-ii is about £150 more than I would like to pay and about 150g heavier than I would ideally like to carry. It could be that the K-70 is the camera I'm looking for.

05-25-2016, 05:10 PM   #110
Imp
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by planteater Quote
So glad I stumbled across this site. I was about to upgrade my K30 to a K3-ii but will now have to wait and see what the K-70 has to offer. The K3-ii is about £150 more than I would like to pay and about 150g heavier than I would ideally like to carry. It could be that the K-70 is the camera I'm looking for.
welcome, the more pentaxians the merrier!
05-26-2016, 03:59 AM - 2 Likes   #111

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
then perhaps the K-70 would have on-board flash, better video and other things that would be more valued by "general" users.
I love Pentax DSLRs,...they're built like tanks and fun to use.The results are good.However, I'm amazed that they are sooooo far behind even entry level cameras for video. It's almost like they are dumbing down the video intentionally. Personally, I shoot video only occasionally, and never with my Pentax. But I'd sure like to see video in the K70 better than Pentax currently offers.

Jack
05-26-2016, 05:00 AM - 1 Like   #112
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Setter Dog Quote
I love Pentax DSLRs,...they're built like tanks and fun to use.The results are good.However, I'm amazed that they are sooooo far behind even entry level cameras for video. It's almost like they are dumbing down the video intentionally. Personally, I shoot video only occasionally, and never with my Pentax. But I'd sure like to see video in the K70 better than Pentax currently offers.
Completely agree. My old Sony RX100-II destroyed my K-30 for video, and my Panasonic GX-7 is even better. This is an area Pentax really needs to address if they want to broaden their appeal.

05-29-2016, 11:31 AM   #113

I would love to see a mirrorless that takes the K-mount lenses. (The less mechanical moving parts the better.) I am fine with the 24 megapixels APS-C, but I would like to have something with a bit better low-noise low-light capability than my K-3. Wired tethering is a must. GPS, built-in flash and video I could live without. I have no use for an articulating screen. It's just another thing that is likely to get busted. I would also love to see built-in HSS TTL wireless flash control, and a new line of flash units to work with it. And, of course I would like to see wireless flash controllers that would allow us to have the same flash capabilities as Canon and Nikon enjoy with our existing flash units.
05-29-2016, 03:44 PM   #114
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Joe Dusel Quote
I would also love to see built-in HSS TTL wireless flash control
Good point. It's about time for an inbuilt radio trigger system, rather than optical triggering, and requiring a whole HSS capable flash to be mounted to trigger off camera HSS flashes?!

Pentax can't offer everything to everyone at the competitive pricing that they do, so their products (just like all the other companies) have to be a mix that they feel fits their offerings/brand.

Some are going to win when it perfectly aligns, and others wont. There are some things though that should be considered base/core camera content in 2016.

It's been interesting to see some concepts tried out on the lower camera models, before being 'approved' if you will to go on the flagship. It wouldn't surprise me if things like a touchscreen were released on a lower model before being rolled out into the premium cameras. If the K-S range is to continue, then that would be the likely candidate for something like a touchscreen though, over the K-70 I would have thought. I think the likes of wifi, a higher res / non AA sensor and AA filter simulator etc are the safe bets for a K-70, maybe with a floppy, but not touch enabled, screen.
05-30-2016, 11:55 AM   #115
Forum Member

I think Pentax now have the opportunity to release a cracking entry/mid range camera resulting from 'parts bin' engineering. Nothing revolutionary - just the best bits from the K3-ii and the KS2 in a light, weatherproof polycarbonate body for around £550. A true successor to the K30/50.

24Mp AA less sensor with pixelshift.
KS2 tilt screen and wifi
Flash rather than gps
IS and AF improvements
Scene modes so I can lend it family without detailed explanations!

If this is what they have in mind I'll pre-order mine now.
05-31-2016, 01:48 AM - 1 Like   #116
Pentaxian

It wouldn't bother me at all if they put the 20MP sensor from the K-S2 in it. That sensor is really special and outperforms the K-3 sensor in some respects, in my experience.
05-31-2016, 04:47 AM   #117
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by shiner Quote
It wouldn't bother me at all if they put the 20MP sensor from the K-S2 in it. That sensor is really special and outperforms the K-3 sensor in some respects, in my experience.
I have the same experience with my k-5II and my k-3II. I like the results of my k-5II better than my k-3II. I don't know if the image quality particularly noise control is being affected by a higher megapixel sensor. Until now I find my K-3II difficult to master. I wonder if the have a more detailed guide to the best settings for the k-3II.
05-31-2016, 05:10 AM   #118
Pentaxian

with a higher megapixel sensor you zoom in further when you pixelpeep. Comparatively with the same crop the K-3 is better than the K-5 II
05-31-2016, 05:23 AM   #119
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
with a higher megapixel sensor you zoom in further when you pixelpeep. Comparatively with the same crop the K-3 is better than the K-5 II
I was expecting my k-3II to be better but I'm having a different outcome particularly with noise and color. I can't seem to understand my results. Like I said, I find my k-3II a little difficult to deal with.
05-31-2016, 08:38 AM - 1 Like   #120

QuoteOriginally posted by richandfleur Quote
Good point. It's about time for an inbuilt radio trigger system, rather than optical triggering, and requiring a whole HSS capable flash to be mounted to trigger off camera HSS flashes?!

Pentax can't offer everything to everyone at the competitive pricing that they do, so their products (just like all the other companies) have to be a mix that they feel fits their offerings/brand.

Some are going to win when it perfectly aligns, and others wont. There are some things though that should be considered base/core camera content in 2016.

It's been interesting to see some concepts tried out on the lower camera models, before being 'approved' if you will to go on the flagship. It wouldn't surprise me if things like a touchscreen were released on a lower model before being rolled out into the premium cameras. If the K-S range is to continue, then that would be the likely candidate for something like a touchscreen though, over the K-70 I would have thought. I think the likes of wifi, a higher res / non AA sensor and AA filter simulator etc are the safe bets for a K-70, maybe with a floppy, but not touch enabled, screen.
The Pentax flash system is one of the reasons I haven't upgraded since purchasing my K30.

14 months ago I picked up a used Canon 60D and 18-135mm (Non STM) lens and it had only 1748 shutter actuations. I bought it from from e-bay for less than $325.00 delivered.
The canon flash system is eons ahead of Pentax. Their on board flash can be set to E-TTL and FEC used for fill flash.

I've purchased 3rd party Flashes with all the bells and whistles including radio receiver for less than a low end flash for Pentax. All the functions of the flash can be controlled from within the camera but I do have an external transmitter that controls all the settings I'd need.

I've settled on manual flash which can be accomplished with my K30 using the same equipment (YN 560 III and YN 560 IV with a 560 TX transmitter-canon version) I use with the 60D.

I find myself using the 60D much more than the K30 just because I have the option of HSS and ETTL if I should need to use them.

I'm waiting for the new Pentax to come out but if it doesn't make some attempt to up it's flash capabilities I'll be leaving the Pentax fold for good.

Flash has become a very important aspect of my photography over the past 2 yrs. I now find photography quite limiting without flash. I enjoy that I can use flash to create beautiful lighting and don't have to rely on "available light" it's so invigorating.