Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 42 Likes Search this Thread
06-07-2016, 03:05 PM   #151
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
IMHO it was undeservedly bashed by people too eager to bash Pentax for the sake of it.
Some attempted that for the K-1, before it was available.

Agree, but at the same time, it was a marketing flop by Pentax. They promoted it as bringing something significant to attract new younger buyers, and gave them a camera with LED's in the grip and a mode dial that is a big circle on the back.

It's a very capable DSLR, but Pentax need to stop the gimmicks, as they get bashed by critics in reviews because of it.

I happen to really like my K-S1, but I purchased it for not much money and scored all the capabilities. It is a DSLR, with none of the bits that would actually make it appealing to younger buyers. Unlike the K-1, the K-S1 received most of it's bashing after it was released, where as the K-1 seems to have shut a lot of people up

06-07-2016, 03:08 PM   #152
Pentaxian

Since those critics would only see the LEDs but failed to see the camera behind it, the bashing was undeserved.
And how quickly we forget - the current, now classic SLR shape was formed after countless experiments; not all successful/appreciated.
06-07-2016, 03:25 PM   #153
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
... And how quickly we forget - the current, now classic SLR shape was formed after countless experiments; not all successful/appreciated.
I'm not quite sure what you mean here. I saw a very significant break by the T-90
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_T90
and virtually no experimentation with form since then.
06-07-2016, 04:22 PM   #154
Pentaxian

You think too generic, almost on a conceptual level; yet the experiments were with small features/characteristics (like the maligned LEDs and back controls on the K-S1). Things like where to put the hot shoe, for example; or how to control the aperture from the camera.
The T90 was nowhere near a final design. Oh, yes, the very general shape of the SLR was defined by then, but...

06-07-2016, 04:29 PM   #155
Pentaxian

Since those critics would only see the LEDs but failed to see the camera behind it, the bashing was undeserved.
Yes, but Pentax could have presented a great compact DSLR (on a par size wise with Canon's smallest, the 100d is it?)
Compare camera dimensions side by side

But instead they made a feature of the LED grips and it was all over from there. The constant gimmick per release just isn't helping.

And how quickly we forget - the current, now classic SLR shape was formed after countless experiments; not all successful/appreciated.
Ironically, the current mirrorless camera styles, that DSLR owners mock for having no grip, share more in common with the classic film cameras, say the Pentax K-1000 or MX bodies, and we did alright with them...
06-07-2016, 04:44 PM   #156
Pentaxian

Pentax presented a feature, the likes of DPReview (and the chorus of "we know better than Pentax!" folks) ridiculed it.

By "we" you mean...?
So far I no MILC I tried was as easy to hold&use as a Pentax DSLR.
06-07-2016, 05:13 PM   #157
Pentaxian

By "we" you mean...?
Everyone who has ever used a film Pentax from that era of shape and form.

The Pentax K-1000 or MX bodies for example are a rectangular block shape, with maybe less formal formed grip than many mirrorless bodies of today.

06-07-2016, 11:39 PM   #158
Pentaxian

I used a film Pentax from that era, and still prefer a grip.
06-08-2016, 02:40 AM   #159
Pentaxian

I used a film Pentax from that era, and still prefer a grip.
+1. One of the few original extras I have for my LX is a grip. It's small, but better than nothing.
06-11-2016, 12:36 AM   #160
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

New Stuff on the K-70

Now that the K-70 is finally out, I'm very favorably surprised at what Ricoh has added. And the price point is amazing. The camera is mostly an improved KS-2, with the more sculpted body lines showing a K-50 influence. The retention of the articulated screen on the back from the KS-2 is welcome, although with this came some less-favored KS-2 traits: the add-on, rather than sculpted, thumb-rest, and placement of the Playback button on the right in the middle of the record controls, leaving LV orphaned on the upper left. It seems that the 24 MP sensor with 14 bit color depth comes from the K-3. It even offers pixel shift resolution. But is the higher max ISO just market bloviating or does it signify a real improvement? Is the focus speed really faster? Those would be major. Video? I confess that I don't really care, except insofar as any improvements there translate to stills.

Seriously, if this camera is entry-level, what will next flagship be like? New camera buyers (who don't have the $2k+ for a Nikon D500 and should be buying a K-1 if they did) should be buying this stuff! Me, I'm saving as fast as I can!
06-11-2016, 03:51 AM   #161
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by eyeball Quote
Now that the K-70 is finally out, I'm very favorably surprised at what Ricoh has added. And the price point is amazing.
I strongly agree. This is what brought me to Pentax in the first place...their philosophy of offering more meaningful features in a camera body than their competitors, for a lower price. That was the case with my K-x, my K-30, and is now the case for the K-70.

To quote another member, you could almost say they're selling a thoroughbred race horse for the price of a pony.
06-11-2016, 08:17 PM - 1 Like   #162
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
I strongly agree. This is what brought me to Pentax in the first place...their philosophy of offering more meaningful features in a camera body than their competitors, for a lower price. That was the case with my K-x, my K-30, and is now the case for the K-70.

To quote another member, you could almost say they're selling a thoroughbred race horse for the price of a pony.
No, this is still a mid-tier body. It is just the next gen mid tier body. Pony price is 300 bucks like the K-50 goes for. This is more than twice that amount. This is around the price of a K-3 at the moment. And the K-3 still has dual card slots, mag alloy body, grip support, more AF points, faster shutter and faster burst. ..likely quieter shutter too.
06-11-2016, 09:05 PM   #163
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
No, this is still a mid-tier body. It is just the next gen mid tier body. Pony price is 300 bucks like the K-50 goes for. This is more than twice that amount. This is around the price of a K-3 at the moment. And the K-3 still has dual card slots, mag alloy body, grip support, more AF points, faster shutter and faster burst. ..likely quieter shutter too.
You forgot to mention articulating LCD and WiFi ... and the neat silver/black color scheme - personally I really hate the all-black bodies begun by the Canon T-90.

Over the next few months we'll see how the KAF4 interface works out.
06-12-2016, 04:35 AM - 1 Like   #164
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
A K-3 II is $850 while the K-70 is $650. That's a pretty big difference, and that's comparing the INTRO price of a K-70 to the K-3 II which has been around for quite a while. Obviously the K-70 price will be going down. And given that the K-70 has some very significant features that the K-3 lacks, it's pretty much a toss-up, unless you specifically need something like dual slots or a grip or more than 6fps burst.

The point is, you scoffed at people who had high hopes for the K-70 feature list...things like a 24MP sensor, simulated AA filter, flip screen, pixel shift, WiFi, etc. and it turns out it got all that and much more, such as 14-bit output, PDAF sensors on the image sensor, a mic input and HDMI output, wireless tethering, etc. And it still maintained its low price and smaller size.

So to me, it really is a thoroughbred race horse, for the price of a pony. Especially when you compare it to what the competition offers at this price level.

If I were buying a camera right now, I would choose the K-70 over the K-3 II, even if the prices were identical. That being said, I imagine the successor to the K-3 II will be pretty dang impressive, and will put the K-70 back in its place, but it will also probably be twice the price.

Last edited by Edgar_in_Indy; 06-12-2016 at 05:09 AM.
06-12-2016, 05:19 AM   #165
f22

Well I think the inclusion of the Pixel Shift functionality and the higher ISO raises the stakes over the K-3 in terms of offering greater image quality. So if that is what's most important, then I'd rather have the K-70 over the K-3 at this point in time. I'm also happy they have greatly increased the bursting and included the articulated screen too on the K-70. Maybe one day, Pentax's will have a touch screen.