Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 42 Likes Search this Thread
05-19-2016, 07:25 AM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian

Pentax K-70 camera registered by the Korean Radio Research Agency

Ricoh registered a new Pentax K-70 camera with the Korean Radio Research Agency (RRA). My guess is that this new camera will be announced during the Photokina show in September and it will be a replacement for the current K-50 model. Stay tuned for additional details.

Via Digicame-info
?????????PENTAX K-70???? - ????info

05-19-2016, 07:27 AM   #2
Banned

Photos: Gallery
This makes sense. K-50 replacement with 20mp sensor, wifi and af-system from K-3.
05-19-2016, 07:37 AM   #3
Imp
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
So would it be without an articulating screen, same body styling as the K-50? It seems strange to run the K-x0 line simultaneously to the new K-sx line... that wouldn't be good if the entry level camera lineups got confused and messy like the Canon lineup. Do we need 3 APS-C models? Just some thoughts...
05-19-2016, 07:41 AM - 2 Likes   #4

Hasn't Ricoh said numerous times the K-S2 was not a replacement for the K-50? Would would it be stranges - the S series are supposed to independent of of the K series.

05-19-2016, 07:44 AM   #5
Imp
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Hasn't Ricoh said numerous times the K-S2 was not a replacement for the K-50? Would would it be stranges - the S series are supposed to independent of of the K series.
That makes sense... but what are the major differences? They are going to continue the K-x0 line without adding an articulating screen, or headphone inputs, or...

I'm interested with what they're going to do with this camera, just because I have no idea what level camera it'll be at.

Kenspo!! Tell us something!
05-19-2016, 08:12 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Weird, I always thought the K-S2 is the K-50 replacement. How are they going to differentiate between the two feature wise?
05-19-2016, 08:22 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
Weird, I always thought the K-S2 is the K-50 replacement. How are they going to differentiate between the two feature wise?
Pentax stated the kS series was not the same line but everyone ignores this.

The KS-2 lacks s PTTL mastering flash, and it has a lower buffer capacity (effectively due to higher sensor density I assume). I had always hoped a new replacement for the k-50 would rectify this.

05-19-2016, 08:23 AM   #8
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
This is just my guess, but I think the idea of the K-S line is that it is supposed to be for more consumer-oriented, flashy designs. On the other hand, K is for more classic, enthusiast-oriented designs. The other possibility is that they are justretiring the K-S branding because it wasn't received very well.

I notice that the K-50 has now moved off the current products list on this page.
?? | RICOH IMAGING
It was definitely still there at the weekend.
05-19-2016, 08:33 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Pentax, at one time, offered three current APS-C cameras. So it's not impossible for them to do it again. But here's a thought: What if the K-70 is truly beefed up over the K-50 and becomes the K-3 replacement with the K-S line taking over the K-50's position? I'm sure I'm over thinking this. But what are they going to call the next premium APS-C camera? K-1 is taken.
05-19-2016, 08:53 AM   #10
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Biro Quote
Pentax, at one time, offered three current APS-C cameras. So it's not impossible for them to do it again. But here's a thought: What if the K-70 is truly beefed up over the K-50 and becomes the K-3 replacement with the K-S line taking over the K-50's position? I'm sure I'm over thinking this. But what are they going to call the next premium APS-C camera? K-1 is taken.
Well, they have 5 right now (K-50, K-3, K-3 II, K-S1, K-S2) so I wouldn't want to see a downgrade

Since the K-50 is out of production at the moment and is turning 3 years old (base hardware 4 years old), it would make sense for an updated model to replace it.

If they registered it with a radio agency then one thing is for sure: it'll have Wi-Fi.

As for market placement, it would still make sense to have entry-level, upper entry-level, mid-range, and advanced offerings. I do agree, however, that it might be worthwhile for Pentax to make an even higher specced APS-C model than the K-3 primarily for those who want to shoot action.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-19-2016, 09:01 AM   #11
Veteran Member

The K-50 certainly is due for an update! The K-70 could be to the K-3/K3ii what the K-50 was to the K-5/K5ii. Same sensor, same AF, same SR, but lower built quality and without some expert/pro features (double SD slot, battery grip, sync port...).

I hope it will have wireless control from the pop up flash!
05-19-2016, 09:10 AM   #12
Inactive Account

Location: Planet Earth, Sol system, Milky Way galaxy, Universe
QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
This is just my guess, but I think the idea of the K-S line is that it is supposed to be for more consumer-oriented, flashy designs. On the other hand, K is for more classic, enthusiast-oriented designs.
That might be, but I wonder if the design alone is enough of a differentiator.

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
The other possibility is that they are justretiring the K-S branding because it wasn't received very well.
I don't think they have to retire the K-S line. They could just bring out new K-S cameras occasionally, which means they might not even have a K-S camera at all times. For naming, I'd say just count up. They did this with the K-S1 and K-S2, and they have done so with battery grips for ages (D-BG1/2/3/4/5/6...)

The K-S3 could be the "digital ME Super" some have been waiting for (except maybe not make it fullframe).

So whenever a K-S model is about to come out, you know it's something out of the ordinary, like a retro camera.
05-19-2016, 09:33 AM - 3 Likes   #13
Pentaxian

So the K-5 replaced the K-7.

And the K-70 will replace the K-50.

OK, sure. Why not?
05-19-2016, 09:36 AM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Somewhere in all these APS-C choices...with be the camera with advanced video.
05-19-2016, 09:37 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Pentax stated the kS series was not the same line but everyone ignores this.

The KS-2 lacks s PTTL mastering flash, and it has a lower buffer capacity (effectively due to higher sensor density I assume). I had always hoped a new replacement for the k-50 would rectify this.
So where does it sit, above or below the K-X0 series?! Because to me the K-S2 looks slightly better specced (swivel screen etc.), but the difference is so small that I have trouble seeing them as two separate lines