Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-28-2016, 06:14 PM - 3 Likes   #196
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
... it doesnt reach the minimum standards of weight-quality for a short prime lens.
The "standards of weight-quality"?
Really?

Would you please care to show us the definition of that "standard" or anyone credible using this notion?

So you prefer small and light gear. Nothing wrong about that. Perhaps try Olympus sometime. Their small cameras and lenses decidedly punch above their weight.

However to suggest that gear that goes all out on quality without compromising on size or weight to do so is "poor", invoking some alleged "standards of weight quality" is
  1. ridiculous, and
  2. far more than just a personal opinion (the way you stated it).
Why don't you write something along the lines of "This lens is not for me as I prefer small and light equipment."?

Then we wouldn't have this discussion.

11-29-2016, 06:57 AM   #197
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I regularly carry a Pentax 6x7 with its 105/2.5 and 168/2.8. That setup is as heavy as a bundle of those Sigmas.

Same with my Bronica setup.

It's *all* preference, and all relative.
11-29-2016, 07:51 AM   #198
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by unixrevolution Quote
I regularly carry a Pentax 6x7 with its 105/2.5 and 168/2.8. That setup is as heavy as a bundle of those Sigmas.

Same with my Bronica setup.

It's *all* preference, and all relative.
Wait until you're 68 and see if you're still saying the.
11-29-2016, 11:54 AM   #199
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Wait until you're 68 and see if you're still saying the.
I'm halfway there!

I do carry a lighter kit than I did when I started. It wasn't uncommon for me to carry several bags. But I've calmed down. I even got a luggage cart for the 8x10.

11-29-2016, 12:13 PM   #200
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
However to suggest that gear that goes all out on quality without compromising on size or weight to do so is "poor", invoking some alleged "standards of weight .
Sigma seem unable to design even medium quality lenses but only crappy design such as this 85 mm freak lens.
If somebody has a high tolerance for low quality weight lenses that is fine just as pinhole lenses have their fans.

Even insinuating that a failed design such as this is not poor is ridiculous outside the realms of mtf chart geekery.

More than 1 kg for a primitive short tele prime. Size as poor.
11-29-2016, 04:57 PM   #201

Sigma seem unable to design even medium quality lenses but only crappy design such as this 85 mm freak lens.
If somebody has a high tolerance for low quality weight lenses that is fine just as pinhole lenses have their fans.

Even insinuating that a failed design such as this is not poor is ridiculous outside the realms of mtf chart geekery.

There is always the alternative of buying old version of this Sigma 85 which is definitely lighter and already excellent.
I am not sure the extra jump in quality is worth both price and weight bumps.
11-29-2016, 05:20 PM   #202
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Sigma has, and has had, many lenses that were of excellent quality and were similar sizes to competing designs. I would put two of my own Sigma lenses, the 85mm 1.4 EX and the 50-150mm f/2.8 EX in that category, as well as some of my past lenses such as the Sigma 8-16mm and 10-20mm. And from what I've heard Sigma also designed my Olympus 75mm f/1.8 m43 which is an incredible and small portrait lens...one of the best for m43.
11-29-2016, 05:25 PM - 4 Likes   #203
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums

LOL! Such vitriol over a bit of vitreous technology -- you seem to really hate this lens.

Or maybe you are looking at a different lens because the Lenstip review seems to conclude that the Sigma is high quality, successful, and well-designed. I guess the crappy Zeiss Otus (which is even heavier than the Sigma) is also a failed low quality design of a primitive short tele prime.

Personally, I judge lenses by the photos they take. I've never once looked at a beautiful photo and thought "boy I bet that was taken with a light-weight lens!"