Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-10-2016, 07:58 AM   #91
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
Just assumptions. Sigma does something so Tokina must be making primes for Pentax. Strange kind of reasoning. There is no evidence of a renewed Tokina Pentax cooperation.
Your likely correct.

09-10-2016, 08:18 AM - 1 Like   #92
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Belnan Quote
Interestingly all of Sigma's new Cine lenses are remakes of there current DSLR lenses. Perhaps I shouldn't have been dismissive of Mistral75's thread about Tokina's new Cine lenses. Would it not of made more sense for Tokina to release these lenses as DSLR lenses first where there would be a much higher volume in sales. Maybe they didn't because of some collaboration with another company. Sorry to get side tracked.
This is not specific to Sigma, it's always been the case for cinema lenses under and around $4,000:
  • Canon Cinema EOS lenses derive from their EF lenses
  • Leica M 0.8 (cine) lenses derive from Leica M lenses
  • Mitakon cine lenses derive from their photo lenses
  • Samyang Cine and Xeen lenses derive form their photo lenses
  • SLR Magic cine lenses derive from their photo lenses
  • Tokina Cinema ATX lenses derive from their ATX lenses
  • Zeiss Compact Prime CP.2 lenses derive from their former Classic (now Milvus) ZE/ZF.2 lenses.
Cinema-specific lenses like the Zeiss Ultra Prime and Master Prime lenses are much more expensive: between $12,000 and $20,000 for Ultra Prime lenses and between $20,000 and $30,000 for Master Prime lenses.
09-10-2016, 08:25 AM   #93
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
This is not specific to Sigma, it's always been the case for cinema lenses under and around $4,000:
  • Canon Cinema EOS lenses derive from their EF lenses
  • Leica M 0.8 (cine) lenses derive from Leica M lenses
  • Mitakon cine lenses derive from their photo lenses
  • Samyang Cine and Xeen lenses derive form their photo lenses
  • SLR Magic cine lenses derive from their photo lenses
  • Tokina Cinema ATX lenses derive from their ATX lenses
  • Zeiss Compact Prime CP.2 lenses derive from their former Classic (now Milvus) ZE/ZF.2 lenses.
Cinema-specific lenses like the Zeiss Ultra Prime and Master Prime lenses are much more expensive: between $12,000 and $20,000 for Ultra Prime lenses and between $20,000 and $30,000 for Master Prime lenses.
It's when you read the $$$$$ like this you realise even the "expensive" $2000 lenses we buy are cheap.
09-13-2016, 01:26 PM   #94
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by HopelessTogger Quote
It's when you read the $$$$$ like this you realise even the "expensive" $2000 lenses we buy are cheap.
And I've never paid more than about $400 for any lens.

09-22-2016, 02:30 PM   #95
Veteran Member

Curious, Now that the new 85mm Art has been officially debuted, what do people think?

product page

Tech Specs:

$1,199

QuoteQuote:
Lens Construction 14 Elements in 12 Groups
Angle of View 28.6º
Number of Diaphragm Blades 9 (Rounded Diaphragm)
Mininum Aperture f16
Minimum Focusing Distance 85 cm / 33.5in.
Filter Size (mm) 86mm
Maximum Magnifications 1:8.5
Dimensions
(Diameter x Length) 94.7mmx126.2mm / 3.7in. x 5.0in.
Weight TBD
I'm quite happy with my non art 85mm. But i'm interested in how this new one performs. It's a behemoth. I hope it's more than marginal improvements.
09-22-2016, 02:58 PM   #96
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
I think they are trying to empty deep pockets. It will probably be sharp corner to corner wide open, but who needs that in a portrait lens. It makes it needlessly heavy and expensive
09-22-2016, 03:18 PM   #97

mitakon 2.0 is a 85mm in kmount available dreamy at 2.0

09-22-2016, 09:50 PM   #98
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
I think they are trying to empty deep pockets. It will probably be sharp corner to corner wide open, but who needs that in a portrait lens. It makes it needlessly heavy and expensive
And it actually may force the photog to blur parts later in PS 'cos it ends too sharp (for portraits).
09-23-2016, 12:42 AM   #99
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by serothis Quote
Curious, Now that the new 85mm Art has been officially debuted, what do people think?

product page

Tech Specs:

$1,199

I'm quite happy with my non art 85mm. But i'm interested in how this new one performs. It's a behemoth. I hope it's more than marginal improvements.
I think the only downside of the older 85mm f1.4 HSM was its size and weight, other than that its pretty spot on!
09-23-2016, 06:26 AM   #100
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hoopsontoast Quote
I think the only downside of the older 85mm f1.4 HSM was its size and weight, other than that its pretty spot on!
The new one is even bigger and although the weight hasn't been announced I think it's safe to say it's probably heavier too.

That having been said, I'm quite comfortable with the old 85's weight. It's the lens that basically lives on my k-1, so I've grown accustom to the weight.
09-23-2016, 06:56 AM   #101
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by serothis Quote
The new one is even bigger and although the weight hasn't been announced I think it's safe to say it's probably heavier too.

That having been said, I'm quite comfortable with the old 85's weight. It's the lens that basically lives on my k-1, so I've grown accustom to the weight.
My lenses fall into two categories... those that are small and light, and those that aren't. Once you get past a certain size, then I don't really worry too much about the size/weight, but only what it can do.

The original 85mm is already pretty large, so an improved, but slightly larger, version doesn't bother me. If I want small and light, then I'll grab one of my m43 cameras. Shoot, if you hollowed out my Sigma 85mm, I could probably fit my Olympus E-PM2, as well as a lens or two, inside of it.
09-23-2016, 07:08 AM   #102
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
My lenses fall into two categories... those that are small and light, and those that aren't. Once you get past a certain size, then I don't really worry too much about the size/weight, but only what it can do.

The original 85mm is already pretty large, so an improved, but slightly larger, version doesn't bother me. If I want small and light, then I'll grab one of my m43 cameras.
I don't mind the new one. If they ever make it in a pentax mount I'd take a gander.

Shoot, if you hollowed out my Sigma 85mm, I could probably fit my Olympus E-PM2, as well as a lens or two, inside of it.
Please find a busted sigma 85 and do that. For Science™
09-23-2016, 07:29 AM   #103
Veteran Member

The original 85mm is already pretty large, so an improved, but slightly larger, version doesn't bother me. If I want small and light, then I'll grab one of my m43 cameras. Shoot, if you hollowed out my Sigma 85mm, I could probably fit my Olympus E-PM2, as well as a lens or two, inside of it.
This is kind of like how I think of cameras in only one of three categories

1. Fits in a hip pocket

2. Wearable on a strap or in a bag

3. Transportable in a car
09-23-2016, 08:13 AM - 1 Like   #104
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by unixrevolution Quote
This is kind of like how I think of cameras in only one of three categories

1. Fits in a hip pocket

2. Wearable on a strap or in a bag

3. Transportable in a car
lol...I guess my 85mm fits into the "Lift with your legs, not your back" category!
09-23-2016, 08:22 AM   #105
Veteran Member

lol...I guess my 85mm fits into the "Lift with your legs, not your back" category!
No offense, but any telephoto lens for 35mm cameras that doesn't need its own hard case falls into category 2.

The "Transportable in a car" category for me formerly consisted of my Toyo 4x5 studio camera, and currently consists of my Korona 8x10.

I have lugged it before in its backpack, with a shoulder bag of film holders and a tripod on a sling, but I wouldn't reccomend the experience