Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-21-2016, 01:16 PM - 1 Like   #46
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
I have also given a temporary ban to the primary user who created that account."
Well, that is rather wimpy of them.

Steve

05-21-2016, 06:39 PM   #47
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Well, we make jokes here and I liked some of these jokes. I even joked that I would take the heat off Kenspo's back by saying that there will be an APSC and a FF mirrorless with so many things included on it. It was a joke which nobody should take seriously. But when someone make statements using other peoples name to damage the reputation of others, that is not a joke but an offense. I bet you the name of that person is fake and all the data placed in that account are fake. I'm not a technical person and I don't know if they can trace the IP to the maker of the account and match it to any of us here. Because, I'm sure the maker of that account is also a member of this forum.

Whoever you are, how can you be so full of hate and envy?

Last edited by totsmuyco; 05-21-2016 at 09:53 PM. Reason: Added to the message. 2nd edit changed period to ?
05-21-2016, 08:31 PM   #48
mee
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Too bad we don't know who's the primary user.
Can't DPR staff communicate with PF staff and attempt to discover the culprit based off of IP address?

I suspect it is a regular here.. why else would they be so invested to try to tarnish someone who more commonly posts here not at DPR ?
05-22-2016, 02:53 AM   #49
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Can't DPR staff communicate with PF staff and attempt to discover the culprit based off of IP address?

I suspect it is a regular here.. why else would they be so invested to try to tarnish someone who more commonly posts here not at DPR ?
Because they're a paid shill for one of the other companies?

05-22-2016, 08:40 AM   #50
Loyal Site Supporter

With regard to fake IDs, there is a political blog at one of the big name papers where many regulars hang out and have been reading and posting for many years, some since the inception of the blog. Being a political blog, it draws several regular trolls. At least one of the trolls creates fake accounts that mirror regulars non-troll accounts by using 1s instead of the letter L in the user name because they look the same in the font used on the website. It's not really on par with the kenspo troll but there are attention seeking trolls everywhere. Online we must take everything with grains of salt.

Last edited by TomTom; 05-22-2016 at 08:41 AM. Reason: clarity
06-26-2016, 01:01 AM   #51
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote

It seems to me banning based on IP address is difficult. Many computers or phones can share the same address. For example all computer at my company have the same public address. And that by the thousand. Many internet providers just rotate the IPs when you connect to their service to that does match anybody in particular.

As for people that do that, i guess the reasons are various. One could just be bored and want to see all people going crazy looking at it with some popcorn. It might be to attack kenspo but non necessarily so.

This doesn't seems our case there but there always a big interrest to control information. Politics, journalists and lobbies just do that to hopefully get the effect they want out of it. It quite well known that fake account will give nice review of new gear of their company or bad reviews of the competitor as a simple example. We all know that some politics lied about weapons of massive destruction to start a war but it would be naive to think this only apply to big politics. This is everywere, all the time. To the smallest things and for various reasons.
06-26-2016, 02:18 AM   #52
Loyal Site Supporter

No, Nicolas, we do not KNOW this - it is an assertion made by one side of the argument. There is a difference between taking a best guess that turns out to be wrong and telling a deliberate lie.
07-08-2016, 10:44 AM   #53
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
No, Nicolas, we do not KNOW this - it is an assertion made by one side of the argument. There is a difference between taking a best guess that turns out to be wrong and telling a deliberate lie.

We do not know what?