Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-16-2016, 05:18 AM   #166
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Gray Quote
I had my 50-500 HSM OS Bigma updated in Cape Town by Tudortech, the Sigma agents in South Africa. They collected the lens, cleaned it, replaced the stainless steel mount surround band, and delivered it back to me the same day at no charge.

I bought the lens almost five years ago and am very, very impressed by Sigma's committment to their customers. Other manufacturers could really learn from them. Loyalty deserves loyalty.

Thumbs up Sigma!
Can you see a difference with the old mount?

06-16-2016, 06:13 AM - 1 Like   #167
Pentaxian

Yes, the new mount bevelled deeper.

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
Can you see a difference with the old mount?
Yes, definitely. The bevel on the new mount is much deeper, as you can see on the image below.

(click to enlarge)
The new "K-1 proof" mount on the Sigma 50-500mm DG OS HSM.

Now I need to get a K-1 to not scratch it on
06-16-2016, 06:35 AM   #168
mee
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
But would also allow Sigma to produce lenses only compatible with a couple bodies. We'll see what they do, if they do anything at all.

KS1, KS2, K-3II, and K-1 as well as K-70 when its released soon. I doubt Pentax is going back so all future bodies should have KAF4 as well.

My take is, I don't think this will be an overnight case of Sigma launching new lenses.. it will take time for them to see that Pentax has the numbers to make Sigma's numbers worth it. AT least the seed has been planted for their 'return' to K mount. Whether or not it gets watered is another situation altogether.
06-25-2016, 12:24 PM   #169
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
I bought a K-s2 ... Only the K-1 have problems with some sigma lenses.

06-25-2016, 03:53 PM   #170
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
I don't think this will be an overnight case of Sigma launching new lenses.
I see that Sigma has launched a nice new flash, the EF-630, alongside their new sd Quattro camera. But guess which cameras are supported: 'Corresponding cameras : SIGMA, CANON, NIKON'.

This is the first Sigma flash I've seen that doesn't support Pentax. The Sigma relationship with Pentax doesn't seem to be improving even with the K-1 release.
06-25-2016, 04:02 PM   #171
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
I see that Sigma has launched a nice new flash, the EF-630, alongside their new sd Quattro camera. But guess which cameras are supported: 'Corresponding cameras : SIGMA, CANON, NIKON'.

This is the first Sigma flash I've seen that doesn't support Pentax. The Sigma relationship with Pentax doesn't seem to be improving even with the K-1 release.
That's because Pentax is doooooomed! run I tell ya run!
06-25-2016, 04:16 PM   #172
Forum Member

oh no. i dislike this kind of news.
sigma is definetly a great manufacturer, almost half my FF pentax lenses were/are Sigma. and some of them are amazing in every sense.
the day they decide to finally put a FF dslr on the market, i know i'll get one asap
06-25-2016, 06:37 PM   #173
Pentaxian

There are only a couple of lenses being produced by Sigma for Pentax. I think they're also slowly leaving the Pentax system. It's really sad because the lesser access to third-party accessories, the lesser will be the sales of cameras. Some people look for alternatives.

06-25-2016, 08:47 PM   #174
Site Supporter

Sigma

QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
There are only a couple of lenses being produced by Sigma for Pentax. I think they're also slowly leaving the Pentax system. It's really sad because the lesser access to third-party accessories, the lesser will be the sales of cameras. Some people look for alternatives.
When Olympus was developing the micro 4/3 the number of Sigma lenses dropped which were offered for the 4/3 bodies. The reason I left Olympus was the glass I wanted was no longer available for the 4/3 bodies and then Olympus stopped making 4/3 bodies hmmm. Well I got rid of my Olympus gear and bought Pentax because of the available selection of lenses and now here it goes again.

I would hope Pentax could persuade Sigma to produce a few more lenses in K mount
06-25-2016, 09:57 PM - 2 Likes   #175
Pentaxian

We have the same reason for leaving Olympus. But I think Pentax is going to survive this game. We as users have to do our share if we want the system to survive. Show good pictures, give out the reasons we chose Pentax. We have to capitalize the best features of Pentax if we are to promote it. Probably that's the best we can do. Ricoh on the other hand will have to do a lot of marketing and should invest on R&D to improve their products. As of now, I see they're doing something about it. But as to whether it's right or wrong I can't say much about it.

Last edited by totsmuyco; 06-26-2016 at 04:58 AM.
06-26-2016, 12:36 AM   #176
Pentaxian

The difference was that Olympus was killing the failed 4/3 experiment, in favor of the eventually successful m4/3; while Ricoh Imaging is developing Pentax K, and they made a significant step with the FF.
Unfortunately they don't have any control over what Sigma does... it's Sigma's accountants who will decide if to make Pentax-compatible products.
06-26-2016, 05:50 AM   #177
Pentaxian

Sigma seems to be a fairly nimble company, and they've been known to release K-mount versions of lenses after the initial demand for the more popular mounts have been met. But they've still got to go where the money is, so maybe they no longer feel it is worth the extra expenditure to develop, manufacture, and stock a separate version for such a small player. Perhaps this is partly due to Sigma's improving reputation within the industry in recent years. I bet they're are selling far more lenses to Canon and Nikon owners than they did in the past, so perhaps they are shifting resources to supply more lenses in those mounts.

I can't say I blame them, since I can't even remember the last time I saw a Pentax body in the wild. If I had been keeping a running tally of all the DSLR's I see people using when I'm out and about, it would probably be worse than 1000:1 against Pentax. But who knows, maybe the K-1 can change things a bit. It's been getting a lot of posotive press, and seems to be bringing new Pentax users into the fold, so maybe Sigma will be enticed to release a few of their FF lenses in K-mount.
06-28-2016, 04:29 PM   #178
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
Sigma seems to be a fairly nimble company ... so maybe Sigma will be enticed to release a few of their FF lenses in K-mount.
Unlikely, I would have thought. There's no reason for a smaller, family-owned company to pursue a chunk of such a small market share. They have their own Merrill cameras if they want to be adventurous.

Sad - I have several Sigmas I love - but that's life.

06-28-2016, 06:11 PM   #179
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Unlikely, I would have thought. There's no reason for a smaller, family-owned company to pursue a chunk of such a small market share. They have their own Merrill cameras if they want to be adventurous.

Sad - I have several Sigmas I love - but that's life.
Except they've done exactly that in the past...released a lens in K-mount that initially was not available for Pentax.
06-28-2016, 06:14 PM   #180
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
Except they've done exactly that in the past...released a lens in K-mount that initially was not available for Pentax.
I love your optimism, Edgar, but it's 2016.

They have just released a 630 flash, not available for Pentax.

The Sigma 18-35 Art has a new brother, the 50-100 f1.8, and it's not available in K-mount.

We've had an interview with a Sigma exec making lots of excuses about the lack of releases.

It's a brave man to say that they're coming back.