Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-30-2016, 05:53 AM   #106
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Haha indeed. K-1 is not poor design, but it's certainly not perfect. Pentax themselves would probably agree. Designers are always adjusting, refining, evolving what they do.

Allow a little more space around all camera access and interface points (including lenses, but also hotshoe flashes) would be a design tip from me.
Well, there can't be a "perfect" camera design. No matter the cost and no matter how competent the people working on it.
The result of allowing "a little more space around all camera access and interface points" would be a significantly larger camera.

05-30-2016, 05:58 AM   #107
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
would be a significantly larger camera.
Not if it's a Pentax.

---------- Post added 2016-05-30 at 11:06 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Sigma as well as Zeiss
And Tamron (except for those lenses they were paid to make).

Soon it will be just Pentax, SamYang, Laowa, and Mitakon Zhongyi making K-mount.

Last edited by rawr; 05-30-2016 at 06:08 AM.
05-30-2016, 06:06 AM   #108
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
I'd like to bash sigma a bit for hundreds of back focussed pics I thought where the fault of my K10D but it was their 17-70 that was poorly calibrated. My Tamron cheap 70-300 was spot on from the start.
That doesn't seem fair. If you continued to shoot over a long period of time with a lens that was not properly calibrated, then that's on you.

Lenses from all manufactures, even high-end lenses from Canon and Nikon, can often benefit from a calibration. It's a moving target since calibration can vary from body to body, and from lens to lens, so there's no point in blaming the camera maker or lens maker. It's just a bi-product of the necessary tolerances in mass production, and the way autofocus works in a DSLR.

Case in point: When I upgraded from my K-x to my K-30, my lenses with thin DOF were suddenly all out of calibration. There was a significant difference from my K-x to my K-30. I don't know if it was my K-x or my K-30 that was the outlier, but it was one of them. But I didn't shake my fist and curse Pentax's lack of quality control. I just acknowledged that it came with the territory when shooting fast lenses on a high-resolution DSLR.

Now the cool thing about Sigma is that they will calibrate a lens to a body for free, as long as the lens is still under warranty. I've had this done for a couple lenses at the Sigma US headquarters in New York, and the results were perfect, and the turnaround time was only about a day. From what I've heard, Canon charges about $100 for their calibration service. One more example of how Sigma stands out in customer service, and one more reason why I will be inclined continue to give them my business when I have a choice.
05-30-2016, 06:10 AM   #109
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
That doesn't seem fair. If you continued to shoot over a long period of time with a lens that was not properly calibrated, then that's on you.
No Sigma should have warned me that they back engineered the lens and it might need calibration. In your world I am a sigma basher for pointing out their defects. Instead I am an idiot maybe I should be sued for discrediting Sigma.

05-30-2016, 06:11 AM   #110
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Not if it's a Pentax.

---------- Post added 2016-05-30 at 11:06 PM ----------

And Tamron (except for those lenses they were paid to make).

Soon it will be just Pentax, SamYang, Laowa, and Mitakon Zhongyi making K-mount.
True - I forgot to put Tamron there. And while that may be true I hope to see the trend reverse over time but worry that the overall market conditions - declining sales worldwide - will not encourage companies to take risks. The Zeiss option for M42 makes it hard to imagine them making K and M42 in this market and M42 gives them more options for sales overall than K would.
05-30-2016, 06:22 AM   #111
Pentaxian

Not if it's a Pentax.
Even if it's a Pentax.
They're doing those compact bodies by some ingenious engineering, but also by using tighter designs - the trick is in doing so without affecting the product's usability too much (and they're very good at it, IMO). But if you're asking them to increase the space, the physics intervene - and you'd get exactly what you asked for.
05-30-2016, 06:24 AM   #112
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
will not encourage companies to take risks.
At least SamYang will be offering auto-focus lenses soon. If they make those in K-mount, things won't be too bleak in future, I guess.
05-30-2016, 07:04 AM   #113
Pentaxian

No Sigma should have warned me that they back engineered the lens and it might need calibration. In your world I am a sigma basher for pointing out their defects. Instead I am an idiot maybe I should be sued for discrediting Sigma.
First, I never called you a "basher", an "idiot" or anything else. Why is anybody who says anything positive for Sigma painted as a raving madman in this thread?

Secondly, are you actually claiming that Sigma lenses are the only lenses that ever need calibration? With DSLR's, it's always a crapshoot. What do you think about my K-x and my K-30 having vastly different calibrations? It seems like you did not even read my post, except to perceive that I was not agreeing with you.

05-30-2016, 07:10 AM   #114
Pentaxian

First, I never called you a "basher", an "idiot" or anything else. Why is anybody who says anything positive for Sigma painted as a raving madman in this thread?

Secondly, are you actually claiming that Sigma lenses are the only lenses that ever need calibration? With DSLR's, it's always a crapshoot. What do you think about my K-x and my K-30 having vastly different calibrations? It seems like you did not even read my post, except to perceive that I was not agreeing with you.
I am through with you. you are insufferable. /ignore
05-30-2016, 07:19 AM   #115
Pentaxian

I am through with you. you are insufferable. /ignore
Note to self: Never disagree with anything D1N0 says...
05-30-2016, 07:41 AM   #116
Pentaxian

No use Edgar This message is hidden because Edgar_in_Indy is on your ignore list
05-30-2016, 07:54 AM   #117

info

thank you for information!
05-30-2016, 09:23 AM - 1 Like   #118
Loyal Site Supporter

You're wasting your time. Some people are drama queens and you can't have a disagreement with them without a meltdown.
05-30-2016, 09:54 AM   #119
Pentaxian

thanks winder ignoring you too
05-30-2016, 10:04 AM   #120
Pentaxian

No use Edgar This message is hidden because Edgar_in_Indy is on your ignore list
Took you time