Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-27-2016, 01:00 AM - 2 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

(Update) Use of Pentax mount SIGMA interchangeable lenses when attached to the K1

(Update) Use of Pentax mount SIGMA interchangeable lenses when attached to the “Pentax K-1”

Thank you for purchasing and using our products.

We would like to inform you of our policy on the repair service that we announced on May 11th,
regarding the use of Pentax mount SIGMA interchangeable lenses when attached to the “Pentax K-1”.

For customers using our interchangeable lenses with aforementioned camera body,
we apologize for the inconvenience.
Please find the following details for the phenomenon and products;

【Phenomenon】
When some SIGMA interchangeable lenses for Pentax mount are attached to the PENTAX K-1,
the upper part of the mount can be scratched.
※This phenomenon is due to the interference with the shape of the upper part of the mount on the PENTAX K-1
camera body and it does not occur to any cameras other than PENTAX K-1.

【Products】
・Current Line-Up
SIGMA 30mm F1.4 DC HSM| Art
SIGMA 35mm F1.4 DG HSM| Art
SIGMA APO 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM

・Discontinued Lenses
SIGMA 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM
SIGMA 85mm F1.4 EX DG HSM
SIGMA 24-70mm F2.8 IF EX DG HSM
SIGMA APO 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM
SIGMA APO 70-200mm F2.8 II EX DG MACRO HSM
SIGMA APO 50-150mm F2.8 II EX DC HSM
SIGMA APO 120-400mm F4.5-5.6 DG OS HSM*
SIGMA APO 150-500mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM*
* it is applicable to the models without OS function, too.

For details of this repair service, please contact your nearest authorized subsidiary/distributor of Sigma.

【In case of scratch on the PENTAX K-1 camera body】
In case your PENTAX K-1 camera body has got a scratch from attaching aforementioned lenses,
we are planning to repair the damaged part of camera body, too.
The detail of repair will be announced later, and we would probably ask customers to send the camera body and lens to us.

* Once we receive the camera body, we would ask RICOH IMAGING or its authorized repair stores to repair it.

We will inform the lead time for repair, and return the body and lens as quick as possible.

We appreciate your continued support for our company and products.

(Update) Use of Pentax mount SIGMA interchangeable lenses when attached to the ?Pentax K-1? - SIGMA CORPORATION

05-27-2016, 02:56 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by OoKU Quote
* Once we receive the camera body, we would ask RICOH IMAGING or its authorized repair stores to repair it.
I can see this line scaring away 99% of US customers...
05-27-2016, 03:42 AM - 1 Like   #3
bxf
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by OoKU Quote
In case your PENTAX K-1 camera body has got a scratch from attaching aforementioned lenses, we are planning to repair the damaged part of camera body, too.
This should put to rest the argument about who is responsible for the incompatibility.
05-27-2016, 04:14 AM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bxf Quote
This should put to rest the argument about who is responsible for the incompatibility.
I'm not sure about that. But it at least puts to rest the argument about which company has better customer service, and wants to keep their customers happy.

Pentax could learn something here. The way they handled, or rather, they way they *didn't handle* the rampant SDM failures was appalling. There's no doubt about who was responsible there, but they never uttered a word of apology or took ownership of the problem, instead letting their loyal customers absorb the cost of premature failures.

This kind of thing right here is one of the reasons why Sigma is my favorite lens company.

Last edited by Edgar_in_Indy; 05-27-2016 at 05:17 AM.
05-27-2016, 04:23 AM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I really don't see what all the hoohaa is about. My sigma 70-200 (or 150-500, cant say which) put a small 3mm scratch on my K-1, which looks like a smaller version of the deliberate rebate Pentax engineered into the housing about 3mm above it. From all I've read this seems typical.

I didn't even notice it until I read some of these threads. It is far less 'damage' than a camera of the K-1's class is designed to withstand, and one of the first signs of use/badges of honour it will receive in a long career. This is a chipped fingernail in the schema of camera injuries.
05-27-2016, 04:25 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wizofoz Quote
I really don't see what all the hoohaa is about. My sigma 70-200 (or 150-500, cant say which) put a small 3mm scratch on my K-1, which looks like a smaller version of the deliberate rebate Pentax engineered into the housing about 3mm above it. From all I've read this seems typical.

I didn't even notice it until I read some of these threads. It is far less 'damage' than a camera of the K-1's class is designed to withstand, and one of the first signs of use/badges of honour it will receive in a long career. This is a chipped fingernail in the schema of camera injuries.
I appreciate their openness and responsiveness, but one wonders whether Sigma would have been better off just letting it go. If that's the extent of the "damage", then it wouldn't even be worth the time and hassle for me to bother shipping my lenses in for the modification.
05-27-2016, 04:27 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Trust me Edgar, it isn't

05-27-2016, 04:32 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wizofoz Quote
Trust me Edgar, it isn't
Good to know!
05-27-2016, 05:02 AM   #9
Veteran Member

No. Its not worth the trouble of shipping.
05-27-2016, 05:09 AM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I suspect Sigma took the view that it was legally safer to address the problem when they became aware of it, rather than pretend it didn't exist. From a certain viewpoint I think that they should be commended for their openness.
05-27-2016, 07:02 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well, if your k-1 got scratched before you found out about the warning, I can see how it would be an emotional bummer for sure. I would hate it, personally.

It's not a gold plated collectable LX, but hey, it's your $$$ spent, and we do like good re-sale values.

Looking at the repair and shipping option would scare me even more than living with it. If it were me, I guess I would learn to live with the scratch and tell myself that the fist scratch was someone else's fault, and now I can enjoy using it without worrying about putting the next scratch on it... and at least it's in an unobtrusive place.

I wonder if it self-clearance's once it's scratched, or if pressure remains and it's not truly gapped? If it transfers any additional down force on the lens mount, in addition to gravity... hmmmm... that wouldn't be good...that would make getting the repair an easier call for me.

Sigma says they send your K-1 to Ricoh as part of the repair... Sigma wouldn't need the lens too if Ricoh was putting back an upgraded part... so I guess Ricoh is just replacing with the same original style part?

If so... I think if it were me, I would ask Sigma for an option B... send them only the lens, and keep my K-1 with scratch.

Still waiting on second wave of US stock... so right now I can't even lament a scratch.

Eric
05-27-2016, 07:08 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Erictator Quote
It's not a gold plated collectable LX,
I think that's one thing we can all be grateful for!

05-27-2016, 07:21 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bxf Quote
No. If you learn one thing in customer service it is that the customer is always right. Even if they are wrong, they are still right. Because it doesn't matter if you are right or not, if you don't help out the customer will always go home and bitch about it to everyone they know, which hurts you in the long term.

So this service is not necessarily an admission of guilt.
05-27-2016, 07:29 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Edgar,

Unlike the over-used LOL on the net, I actually did laugh out loud at your post.
Thanks, I needed that.
Eric

QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
I think that's one thing we can all be grateful for!

05-27-2016, 07:51 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Erictator Quote
Sigma says they send your K-1 to Ricoh as part of the repair... Sigma wouldn't need the lens too if Ricoh was putting back an upgraded part... so I guess Ricoh is just replacing with the same original style part?
Of course. Ricoh wouldn't redesign part of their camera for a non-conforming 3rd-party product...

Anyway, it's nice to see Sigma properly addressing this issue. Now, if they'd only make a compact wide, I might consider getting my first Sigma lens...