Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-29-2016, 06:18 PM   #91
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I think you are just looking for shadows where none exist.
It just seems noteworthy that the list only includes large/heavy lenses. But I get it...only the anti-Sigma crowd is allowed to speculate, and it's also perfectly fine for them to cast aspersions. But if I make a simple factual observation about the lenses on the list, them I'm "looking for shadows".

05-29-2016, 06:32 PM - 1 Like   #92
Veteran Member

If I was the Sigma CEO ... after reading this thread, I'd be inclined to never, ever make a K-mount lens again.
05-29-2016, 06:40 PM   #93
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
It just seems noteworthy that the list only includes large/heavy lenses. But I get it...only the anti-Sigma crowd is allowed to speculate, and it's also perfectly fine for them to cast aspersions. But if I make a simple factual observation about the lenses on the list, them I'm "looking for shadows".
You suggest that the lenses being larger means the part must be thicker and IGNORE the reports of eccentricity and the fact that this only impacts some of the lenses of these models and then due to the fact that it is not ROUND. how can you ignore that and say it isn't sloppy machining. Did you read my post or just hit reply and pick a few words to object and label me?

Frankly I don't get it - I am not blaming Sigma I'm commending them for fixing a problem. The culprit could easily be a subcontractor and economics. I am a bit pissed off that people blame Pentax for not knowing about out of round lens mount rings on a third party lens...
05-29-2016, 06:56 PM   #94
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
If I was the Sigma CEO ... after reading this thread, I'd be inclined to never, ever make a K-mount lens again.
It actually seems like they've been going in that direction in the last couple years after being the last hold-out to keep supplying K-mount with new lenses. Some of their exciting new lenses, like the improved 50mm 1.4, have not been released in K-mount.

And I don't blame them since some people on this forum will look at something like Sigma's very generous warranty and point that out as proof that their lenses must be sub-par. And now that we finally have a FF Pentax DSLR, the timing couldn't be worse for Pentax users.

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
You suggest that the lenses being larger means the part must be thicker and IGNORE the reports of eccentricity and the fact that this only impacts some of the lenses of these models and then due to the fact that it is not ROUND.
I didn't "IGNORE" anything. If there's been some kind of extensive study demonstrating that Sigma lenses tend to have non-round mounts, while Pentax lenses do not, then I must have missed it. I haven't been spending as much time on the forum since I went to a dual Pentax/m43 system and my m43 camera became my main walk-around.

If you want to send me a link for the reports you are talking about, then I would be happy to take a look at them, and compare my own Sigma lenses.

05-29-2016, 07:04 PM   #95
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
It actually seems like they've been going in that direction in the last couple years after being the last hold-out to keep supplying K-mount with new lenses. Some of their exciting new lenses, like the improved 50mm 1.4, have not been released in K-mount.

And I don't blame them since some people on this forum will look at something like Sigma's very generous warranty and point that out as proof that their lenses must be sub-par. And now that we finally have a FF Pentax DSLR, the timing couldn't be worse for Pentax users.

I didn't "IGNORE" anything. If there's been some kind of extensive study demonstrating that Sigma lenses tend to have non-round mounts, while Pentax lenses do not, then I must have missed it. I haven't been spending as much time on the forum since I went to a dual Pentax/m43 system and my m43 camera became my main walk-around.

If you want to send me a link for the reports you are talking about, then I would be happy to take a look at them, and compare my own Sigma lenses.
Read this thread. The people who say their cameras were scratched reported this. It isn't the mount as I stated it is a ring (probably a spacer) that is out of round.
05-30-2016, 03:17 AM   #96
Pentaxian

+1, some of us don't visibly know what to invent to kill their time.
05-30-2016, 04:09 AM   #97
bxf
Veteran Member

Sadly, this thread has developed into an anti-Sigma thread. My own focus on the subject is due merely to what I saw as total illogic in putting the blame on Pentax.

I own a Sigma lens, and I would never hesitate to buy another merely because it is Sigma. If a lens proves itself, then I would buy it.

It is entirely possible that third party manufacturers cut some corners here and there where it makes sense to do so, but I never felt that the better ones (Sigma, Tamron) make significant compromises in quality. All manufacturers, even the best and most reputable, have failures. There is no need for Sigma bashing here.

05-30-2016, 04:11 AM   #98
Pentaxian

How so? Because we don't all accept your idea that the K-1 is poor design?

Fortunately, you're not the Sigma CEO, otherwise you'd give up on all mounts because some new product "breaking compatibility" with your reverse engineered products; and the company would go bankrupt.
Sigma, actually, admitted their mistake and took corrective actions. They're doing the right thing - because you're not their CEO.
Or perhaps your position is not as extreme as it seems

Last edited by Kunzite; 05-30-2016 at 04:18 AM.
05-30-2016, 04:19 AM   #99
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bxf Quote
Sadly, this thread has developed into an anti-Sigma thread. My own focus on the subject is due merely to what I saw as total illogic in putting the blame on Pentax.

I own a Sigma lens, and I would never hesitate to buy another merely because it is Sigma. If a lens proves itself, then I would buy it.

It is entirely possible that third party manufacturers cut some corners here and there where it makes sense to do so, but I never felt that the better ones (Sigma, Tamron) make significant compromises in quality. All manufacturers, even the best and most reputable, have failures. There is no need for Sigma bashing here.
You didn't see all the posts where Pentax is made out to be the bad guy.
05-30-2016, 04:23 AM   #100
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bxf Quote
Sadly, this thread has developed into an anti-Sigma thread. [...] There is no need for Sigma bashing here.
Except is not so much an anti-Sigma thread, as an anti-anti-Pentax thread.
I'd still like to see some proof for those elliptic mounts, though.
05-30-2016, 04:32 AM   #101
bxf
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
You didn't see all the posts where Pentax is made out to be the bad guy.
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Except is not so much an anti-Sigma thread, as an anti-anti-Pentax thread
Well, I did say "total illogic in putting the blame on Pentax", and that's what I take to be the problem, rather than Sigma products per se.
05-30-2016, 04:44 AM - 1 Like   #102
Pentaxian

Our positions are quite similar on this matter
I keep saying Sigma deliberately took a risk, seemed "safe enough" at that time, it backfired - but they're taking the proper corrective actions. And Pentax simply put a FF viewfinder system in the most compact K-mount SLR body they could make. There's no reason to bash either company.
05-30-2016, 04:54 AM   #103
Pentaxian

I'd like to bash sigma a bit for hundreds of back focussed pics I thought where the fault of my K10D but it was their 17-70 that was poorly calibrated. My Tamron cheap 70-300 was spot on from the start.
05-30-2016, 05:35 AM   #104
Veteran Member

we don't all accept your idea that the K-1 is poor design?
Haha indeed. K-1 is not poor design, but it's certainly not perfect. Pentax themselves would probably agree. Designers are always adjusting, refining, evolving what they do.

Allow a little more space around all camera access and interface points (including lenses, but also hotshoe flashes) would be a design tip from me.
05-30-2016, 05:40 AM   #105
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
I'd like to bash sigma a bit for hundreds of back focussed pics I thought where the fault of my K10D but it was their 17-70 that was poorly calibrated. My Tamron cheap 70-300 was spot on from the start.
From what I have read, and experienced, slight tolerance differences are normal. That exact same pair of lenses could perform the opposite way with a different camera due to that cameras mount distance being slightly off from yours, while all of the lenses and cameras might still meet the manufacturing tolerances. Digital cameras are so precise in their requirements that this type of very slight adjustment is the price we pay for reasonable costs.

---------- Post added 05-30-16 at 08:44 AM ----------

Our positions are quite similar on this matter
I keep saying Sigma deliberately took a risk, seemed "safe enough" at that time, it backfired - but they're taking the proper corrective actions. And Pentax simply put a FF viewfinder system in the most compact K-mount SLR body they could make. There's no reason to bash either company.
I completely agree. The risk was slight, and the fact that they are acknowledging it and addressing it is commendable. I don't own a Sigma lens at this time but it is certain that the good will on their part isn't unnoticed by me.

---------- Post added 05-30-16 at 08:47 AM ----------

I doubt any CEO would allow vocal internet users that much influence. I would suggest it is purely a numbers game. Like it our not Pentax has a very small market and Sigma as well as Zeiss have slowly given up on that market. Lets hope this trend reverses.

Last edited by UncleVanya; 05-30-2016 at 05:48 AM.