Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 43 Likes Search this Thread
06-04-2016, 05:33 AM   #151
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Well, you could ask Sigma. Let us know the response. ☺

They haven't recalled specific ranges of serial numbers.
That's a good suggestion. I'll see if I can do it within this week.

06-04-2016, 06:38 AM   #152
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
Are there only batches manufactured that were affected or are the entire lenses in the list affected? I'm looking forward to a 50-500 in the future.
Reports of lenses working workout problems have surfaced, and some have claimed their lenses that did scratch their k-1 had a slightly oblong (out of round) ring on the lens. Given Sigma's lack of date or serial number range restrictions I'm guessing it is more about subtle manufacturing tolerances and not easy to pin down.

Perhaps someone WITH a k-1 and one of these lenses that doesn't scratch the camera could use a large micrometer on it to verify the dimensional stability and maximum diameter. Then someone with the same lens and a scratch could do likewise.
06-04-2016, 09:00 AM   #153

The affected lens models that did not scratch could still have elliptic rings on them - the major axis (widest part) may just be oriented differently

The offending part has been referred to as a washer. If it is an elliptical washer and not part of the bayonet flange maybe it can just be rotated 60-90°.
06-06-2016, 12:58 PM   #154
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
The affected lens models that did not scratch could still have elliptic rings on them - the major axis (widest part) may just be oriented differently

The offending part has been referred to as a washer. If it is an elliptical washer and not part of the bayonet flange maybe it can just be rotated 60-90°.

In my excitement of my K-1 arriving in time for the weekend, I didn't even think until after I had mounted an ancient Sigma Spiratone 18mm F3.5 onto my shiny new K-1, and that was after being well aware of the problem with some of the modern Sigma's. It suddenly hit me and I remembered after I was looking through the viewfinder and I quickly took the lens off, like that would lessen any damage some how. LOL! We humans are funny creatures.

The good news, no scratch. The bad news, this old lens doesn't appear to be a stellar performer, it vignettes a bit and wasn't super sharp at first try.. I'm going to remove the cheap Hoya skylight filter and try it one more time on a tripod and pay a little more attention to focus. It would be nice if it gets better, because this corrected 18mm is a pretty flat on straight lines, and gives a really unique field of view on FF.

Eric

06-06-2016, 03:53 PM   #155
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
use a large micrometer
If I had a micrometer I'd certainly give that a try on my 'working fine' 35/1.4 and 70-200 HSM II.

While measuring, one should also measure the mount on the body too. Manufacturing variance cuts both ways.
06-06-2016, 03:56 PM   #156
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
If I had a micrometer
Wasn't that an old Peter, Paul & Mary song?
06-06-2016, 04:31 PM   #157
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
Wasn't that an old Peter, Paul & Mary song?
Wow, I can't believe that song was released in 1962. It was still on the radio a lot when I was growing up in the 70's. Thanks for the nostalgia trigger.

06-06-2016, 04:34 PM   #158
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Wow, I can't believe that song was released in 1962. It was still on the radio a lot when I was growing up in the 70's. Thanks for the nostalgia trigger.
Geezer alert! Geezer alert!

06-06-2016, 04:55 PM   #159
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
Geezer alert!
Hope not.
In Googling the 'Hammer' song, it was actually released in 1950. Has a very interesting history I wasn't aware of. Communist Party of America, Paul Robeson, even Leonard Nimoy covered it.
06-07-2016, 06:14 PM   #160
Pentaxian

I inquired from Sigma if there was a database of lenses which could be identified of having a defect when using the K-1. Below is my inquiry and Sigma's reply.

My message:
I have considered purchasing Sigma FF lenses for Pentax. You have listed some models of lenses which have a defective mount. Do you have a database of serial number of lenses which are considered to have an issue with the k-1 or do we consider all to have an issue? I would really appreciate the information so that I can plan when to purchase additional Sigma lenses particularly the 50-500. Thank you.

Reply:
Thank you for contacting Sigma Corporation of America.
Please follow the link to see the information regarding the possible issue with the some of the models:
Use of Pentax mount SIGMA interchangeable lenses when attached to the ?Pentax K-1 | Sigma Corporation of America

If you follow that link, it will forward you to Sigma's announcement. I think I'll pass the 50-500 for now. It's really a hassle to buy a brand new lens and send it for repair.
06-08-2016, 06:20 AM   #161
Veteran Member

Dropped my 70-200/2.8 OS HSM into CRK in Adelaide today.... no issues.... off to Port Melbourne for modification it went. I expect to see it in about 3-4 weeks.
06-15-2016, 06:53 PM   #162

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by OoKU Quote

(Update) Use of Pentax mount SIGMA interchangeable lenses when attached to the “Pentax K-1”

Thank you for purchasing and using our products.

We would like to inform you of our policy on the repair service that we announced on May 11th,
regarding the use of Pentax mount SIGMA interchangeable lenses when attached to the “Pentax K-1”.

For customers using our interchangeable lenses with aforementioned camera body,
we apologize for the inconvenience.
Please find the following details for the phenomenon and products;

【Phenomenon】
When some SIGMA interchangeable lenses for Pentax mount are attached to the PENTAX K-1,
the upper part of the mount can be scratched.
※This phenomenon is due to the interference with the shape of the upper part of the mount on the PENTAX K-1
camera body and it does not occur to any cameras other than PENTAX K-1.

【Products】
・Current Line-Up
SIGMA 30mm F1.4 DC HSM| Art
SIGMA 35mm F1.4 DG HSM| Art
SIGMA APO 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM

・Discontinued Lenses
SIGMA 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM
SIGMA 85mm F1.4 EX DG HSM
SIGMA 24-70mm F2.8 IF EX DG HSM
SIGMA APO 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM
SIGMA APO 70-200mm F2.8 II EX DG MACRO HSM
SIGMA APO 50-150mm F2.8 II EX DC HSM
SIGMA APO 120-400mm F4.5-5.6 DG OS HSM*
SIGMA APO 150-500mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM*
* it is applicable to the models without OS function, too.

For details of this repair service, please contact your nearest authorized subsidiary/distributor of Sigma.

【In case of scratch on the PENTAX K-1 camera body】
In case your PENTAX K-1 camera body has got a scratch from attaching aforementioned lenses,
we are planning to repair the damaged part of camera body, too.
The detail of repair will be announced later, and we would probably ask customers to send the camera body and lens to us.

* Once we receive the camera body, we would ask RICOH IMAGING or its authorized repair stores to repair it.

We will inform the lead time for repair, and return the body and lens as quick as possible.

We appreciate your continued support for our company and products.

(Update) Use of Pentax mount SIGMA interchangeable lenses when attached to the ?Pentax K-1? - SIGMA CORPORATION

It is great the Sigma is wiling to fix the lenses in question but I am concerned as they seem to be leaving the K mount out when producing new lens. I have been a Sigma user for a long time and I wonder what this move signals.
06-15-2016, 07:28 PM   #163
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rr1736 Quote
It is great the Sigma is wiling to fix the lenses in question but I am concerned as they seem to be leaving the K mount out when producing new lens. I have been a Sigma user for a long time and I wonder what this move signals.
Not much I suspect... But with Pentax going to KAF4, I suspect it could mean more Sigma lenses in the future.. provided K-1 gains enough ground for K mount..
06-15-2016, 09:40 PM   #164
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Not much I suspect... But with Pentax going to KAF4, I suspect it could mean more Sigma lenses in the future.. provided K-1 gains enough ground for K mount..
But would also allow Sigma to produce lenses only compatible with a couple bodies. We'll see what they do, if they do anything at all.
06-16-2016, 12:02 AM - 4 Likes   #165
Veteran Member

Sigma lens repaired as promised

I had my 50-500 HSM OS Bigma updated in Cape Town by Tudortech, the Sigma agents in South Africa. They collected the lens, cleaned it, replaced the stainless steel mount surround band, and delivered it back to me the same day at no charge.

I bought the lens almost five years ago and am very, very impressed by Sigma's committment to their customers. Other manufacturers could really learn from them. Loyalty deserves loyalty.

Thumbs up Sigma!