Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-28-2016, 11:04 PM - 1 Like   #181
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
During the last quarter of 2014, I ordered a Sigma 10-20 and I was able to get it sometime First week of March 2015. The supplier said they had to order it and production was to start some time January 2015. Can you imagine that, I had to wait for it to be manufactured for the K-mount since it wasn't readily available. We have to have more promotions and other marketing efforts if Pentax wants a bigger user base. As long as third party manufacturers see that the user base cannot buy their products, they'll just stop producing. I find it sad that Pentax is not getting that much attention.

06-29-2016, 01:39 AM   #182
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
I love your optimism, Edgar, but it's 2016.

They have just released a 630 flash, not available for Pentax.

The Sigma 18-35 Art has a new brother, the 50-100 f1.8, and it's not available in K-mount.

We've had an interview with a Sigma exec making lots of excuses about the lack of releases.

It's a brave man to say that they're coming back.

do you have a link for the interview.I would love to read it or listen to it.
06-29-2016, 02:02 AM - 1 Like   #183
Pentaxian

During the last quarter of 2014, I ordered my Sigma 10-20 and had to wait for it to be manufactured sometime January 2015. I think I got the lens sometime first week of March 2015. Can you imagine that? It wasn't readily available. As long as there is now increase in the user base, they will ignore Pentax. It's sad to see Pentax is now being brushed aside.
06-29-2016, 02:36 AM   #184
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by badsykes Quote
do you have a link for the interview.I would love to read it or listen to it.
Bit of Google-Fu produced this, Badsykes:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/news/2014/04/02/sigma-qa-part-i-ceo-kazuto-y...x-mount-lenses

06-30-2016, 12:33 AM   #185
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
During the last quarter of 2014, I ordered my Sigma 10-20 and had to wait for it to be manufactured sometime January 2015. I think I got the lens sometime first week of March 2015. Can you imagine that? It wasn't readily available. As long as there is now increase in the user base, they will ignore Pentax. It's sad to see Pentax is now being brushed aside.
I understand your concern, but quite don't see your point btw Sigma production runs and Ricoh.
As you know, Sigma only relies on market demand re. K-mount lenses.
So basically, it only depends on people like you/us, and pentaxians are more patient photographers than average
06-30-2016, 01:42 AM   #186
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
I wonder if Sigma is really stepping Into the production of cine-lenses to be announced at Photokina if true. I guess at that moment they will stop any k-mount, since they need their work forceren for such new products.
06-30-2016, 01:43 AM   #187

Lenses i tested with no problems on K-1 (no issues whatsoever, and also no AF misalignements, no backfocus , nothing , all perfect)

12-24 EX DG , 15-30 EX DG, 17-35 EX DG, 18-35 DC HSM, 10mm fisheye DC HSM, 20-40 EX DG, 24-70 Maco EX DG, 170-500 APO, 500 APO HSM .

All the other lenses, i have no clue.

06-30-2016, 05:15 AM   #188
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

My 24mm DG f1.8, 35mm f1.8 Art and 150-500mm DG all work fine. I dropped the last two off at the Sigma dealer (who is also the Pentax importer in Australia) yesterday to get the mount changed over anyway, since it's free. Should be ready within two weeks, they say.

06-30-2016, 08:38 AM   #189

get the mount changed over anyway, since it's free. Should be ready within two weeks, they say.
Mount change is really free of charge ? if so, another proof of sigma's great policies. A pity they can't do something similar to old tamron's adaptall mount, that could be really amazing..
06-30-2016, 02:40 PM   #190
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by phat_bog Quote
Mount change is really free of charge ? if so, another proof of sigma's great policies. A pity they can't do something similar to old tamron's adaptall mount, that could be really amazing..
They charge for changing from one system mount to another - I think. What I believe Clackers is talking about is the fix for the Sigma's that could scratch the K-1.
06-30-2016, 06:30 PM   #191
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
They charge for changing from one system mount to another - I think. What I believe Clackers is talking about is the fix for the Sigma's that could scratch the K-1.

Indeed. I got a phone call - they're ready to pick up after two days ... I guess I got lucky.
06-30-2016, 07:53 PM   #192
Veteran Member

I dropped the last two off at the Sigma dealer (who is also the Pentax importer in Australia) yesterday to get the mount changed over anyway, since it's free.
Now I am wondering if I should bother doing the mount replacement on my Sigma 70-200 HSM II, and 35 1.4 Art.

Mine don't come into contact with the K-1 body at all, and work fine, but I wonder if there may be some 'future proofing' benefit in doing so, just in case (for example) Pentax decide to introduce even more pentaprism overhang above the lens mount in future bodies.

I'm also curious, by the way, if the mount replacement makes any difference to AF adjustment for any of the lenses that one gets fixed. Theoretically, it could, if the upgraded mount alters even minutely the distance between the lens and the camera's AF assembly.
06-30-2016, 10:29 PM   #193
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Now I am wondering if I should bother doing the mount replacement on my Sigma 70-200 HSM II, and 35 1.4 Art.

Mine don't come into contact with the K-1 body at all, and work fine, but I wonder if there may be some 'future proofing' benefit in doing so, just in case (for example) Pentax decide to introduce even more pentaprism overhang above the lens mount in future bodies.

I'm also curious, by the way, if the mount replacement makes any difference to AF adjustment for any of the lenses that one gets fixed. Theoretically, it could, if the upgraded mount alters even minutely the distance between the lens and the camera's AF assembly.
Both my lenses needed zero adjustment on my K-1 ... I'll post back here if that's changed.

I do have their USB dock if it comes down to that.

08-31-2016, 01:33 AM   #194
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What I discovered was that there was very little point in getting the mount changed. When placed on my K-1, my newly remounted Sigma 70-200 f2.8 just freezes the camera. This has been reported in other threads. So, rather than praising Sigma for fixing the problem, I think there are still a few criticisms required. I have written to Sigma Australia but am yet to get a response. My 120-400 has been sent in for its mount replacement - can't wait to see what that comes back with.
08-31-2016, 02:02 AM   #195
Pentaxian

It seems there are separate problems the mount/scratch problem and the 70-200 freeze up problem. the 70-200 has both.