Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-29-2016, 08:55 AM   #1

Carl Zeiss has no plans to reintroduce their ZK lenses

as told on the rumour site: Zeiss has no plans to bring back the ZK mount for Pentax DSLR cameras | Pentax Rumors

QuoteQuote:
Dear Xxxxx,
Thanks for your inquiry and your interest in our products. Unfortunately, we had to discontinue our ZK type lenses in 2011 because the request was too low. We do not plan to offer K-mount lenses again within the next future. If Pentax reaches a similar market share among the full frame bodies like Canon and Nikon, we will reconsider it. For further details, please do not hesitate to contact us!
With best regards, Xxxxxxx
Kundensupport / Customer Support Camera Lens Division Carl Zeiss AG
Carl-Zeiss-Straße 22
73447 Oberkochen, Germany

05-29-2016, 08:59 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Sigma would likely tell you the same thing about their FF lenses. Cosines would probably laugh and ask "Pentax still makes cameras"?
05-29-2016, 09:31 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Does this kind of non-information aim at any target ?
I think yes.
And of course, we know which target.
05-29-2016, 09:54 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Zeiss can't keep up with the production that they already have and K-mount is such a small market share that Zeiss really is uninterested. This is good for Ricoh. As long as Ricoh continues to produce high quality glass like the D-FA* 70-200mm there wont be any need for Zeiss.

05-29-2016, 10:28 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Otus for the K-1 would be great.
05-29-2016, 10:40 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In another communication Zeiss said they are willing to make Kmount lenses if there is a large enough order. For example, if the forum would find 100 people to buy one type of lens.
Same thing with the Russian lens factory in Krasnogorsk.

These companies are wiling to make Kmount if we guarantee them they will sell the whole batch immediately.

But think about it, if PF and Russian and Japansese Pentax forums and communities cannot get that many people willing to put their money up, there is clearly not a big enough market. People whine about Zeiss lenses in K, but how many would you actually buy? Right now, brand new, at full price?

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
Does this kind of non-information aim at any target ? I think yes. And of course, we know which target.
Well said
05-29-2016, 11:12 AM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
People whine about Zeiss lenses in K, but how many would you actually buy? Right now, brand new, at full price?
Exactly. For several years both Zeiss (Z-series) and Voigtlander (SL/SLII-series) manual focus glass was available in Pentax-compatible mount (Zeiss even offered M42). Except for the rare announcement of a purchase on this site, enthusiasm among Pentax owners was, err, somewhat muted. I considered purchase of both, but was put off by both price and lack of obvious performance edge over available Pentax lenses. My only regret is not getting a Voigtlander Macro APO-Lanthar 125/2.5 while it was still available.

Steve

05-29-2016, 11:13 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

In another communication Zeiss said they are willing to make Kmount lenses if there is a large enough order. For example, if the forum would find 100 people to buy one type of lens.
Same thing with the Russian lens factory in Krasnogorsk.

These companies are wiling to make Kmount if we guarantee them they will sell the whole batch immediately.

But think about it, if PF and Russian and Japansese Pentax forums and communities cannot get that many people willing to put their money up, there is clearly not a big enough market. People whine about Zeiss lenses in K, but how many would you actually buy? Right now, brand new, at full price?

Well said
I have no interest in Zeiss ZK lenses but I am interested in keeping up with what is and isn't available as an indirect barometer on the health of the brand.
05-29-2016, 11:29 AM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

Two lenses I have no regrets buying, the Distagon 2/35 ZK and Planar 1.4/85 ZK.

Leitax is working on conversion of the 2/135 APO-Sonnar from Nikon-F to Pentax K at the moment.
05-29-2016, 11:43 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by veraikon Quote
Well, for as long as they make them for Nikon, 5 min of dremel fun can mount them on Pentax with native Nikon use preserved. A half an hour more and we could have a pk preset lens that would have intended focus range.
So, from my angle of view it is no biggie. Anyhow, for as long as I am happy with the results I am getting from my gear, I would not spit the money for those lenses anyway.
05-29-2016, 11:54 AM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I have no interest in Zeiss ZK lenses but I am interested in keeping up with what is and isn't available as an indirect barometer on the health of the brand.
Sure, but why does threads like this "Zeiss still doesn't care about Pentax!" "also Voigtlander!" "Mitakon only cares a little, eh" "Sigma still hasn't released all its lenses in K and never will!" have to show up every couple of weeks? Maybe after some months, so that K-1 sales can be analyzed, so that third party producers make up their new plans, then let's check again. But at this point, it looks more like just another piece of "Pentax is doooomed" mosaic that some seem to be trying so hard to put up
05-29-2016, 12:00 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Sure, but why does threads like this "Zeiss still doesn't care about Pentax!" "also Voigtlander!" "Mitakon only cares a little, eh" "Sigma still hasn't released all its lenses in K and never will!" have to show up every couple of weeks? Maybe after some months, so that K-1 sales can be analyzed, so that third party producers make up their new plans, then let's check again. But at this point, it looks more like just another piece of "Pentax is doooomed" mosaic that some seem to be trying so hard to put up
I understand the sentiment, but I think this is genuinely someone who wants Zeiss lenses for their Pentax. I know I do.
05-29-2016, 12:02 PM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by HopelessTogger Quote
I understand the sentiment, but I think this is genuinely someone who wants Zeiss lenses for their Pentax. I know I do.
Its possible, and I wish no ill to anyone genuinely interested in Zeiss glass, or any other glass that is unavailable in K. And it is good that interested users write to Zeiss and other brands and show their interest.
Before I go, I'll just post a link to this thread. If we get enough interested users, we can still organize something: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/317187-zeis...nt-lenses.html
05-29-2016, 12:09 PM - 1 Like   #14
Veteran Member

Its possible, and I wish no ill to anyone genuinely interested in Zeiss glass, or any other glass that is unavailable in K. And it is good that interested users write to Zeiss and other brands and show their interest.
Before I go, I'll just post a link to this thread. If we get enough interested users, we can still organize something: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/317187-zeis...nt-lenses.html
I enquired with Leitax recently about Zeiss conversion . . .

QuoteQuote:
Hello,

I recently got a Pentax K-1 and managed to pick up a Zeiss Planar 85/1.4 ZK and a Distagon 35/2 ZK. Since Carl Zeiss no longer make ZK's I wondered whether it's possible to convert ZE or ZF's to K-mount? I'm specifically thinking of the Zeiss 135mm f/2 Apo Sonnar T*.

Many thanks

The response . . .

QuoteQuote:
Hello Mike,

I'm working on this conversion currently. The conversion will take a bit of machining on the Zeiss lens, but it will be able to be used later on a Nikon camera with no problem.
I will post it in my site as soon as possible.

Best regards, David
Leica & Pentax & Nikon | Leitax

So all is not lost. Hopefully we'll see conversion of any Zeiss ZF to K-mount in the near future.

---------- Post added 05-29-16 at 12:26 PM ----------

Just to add, this is worth a watch regarding Zeiss lenses . . .

You can still find Distagon 2/35 and Planar 1.4/85 in ZK fairly easily, also the 2/28. But it's very tricky to find the 50mm and 100mm Macro-Planar's and 2.8/21
05-29-2016, 02:11 PM - 1 Like   #15
Forum Member

I'm on board if there is a movement to get together and place an order with Zeiss. Yes please on the Zeiss 21mm f/2.8 ZK Distagon T* Manual Focus Lens for Pentax K-Mount.