Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
05-30-2016, 11:26 AM - 1 Like   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by SMcGuire45 Quote
Interesting, so this is probably a really dumb question, but where are these available for purchase
Not a dumb question at all.

Distribution Partner | ZEISS United States

Five addresses in California.

05-30-2016, 11:28 AM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jlstrawman Quote
I check regularly, on Ebay, and there are always several ZKs available from Japan. So far I haven't wanted one bad enough to pay, what I think, are high prices.

Carl Zeiss ZK in Camera Lenses | eBay
I resisted for a long time, but having taken the plunge on the 2/35 and 1.4/85 (most commonly available) I have no regrets. People seem to avoid because of the lack of AF, yet MF is so easy with these lenses it's not an issue.
05-30-2016, 11:33 AM   #33
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by veraikon Quote
These lenses are not consumer lenses, but for technical use [surveillance, robotics......] You can order them from Carl Zeiss direct. But note they would be a little bit more expensive than the consumer lenses and they a a little bit different from consumer lenses. E.g. you can fix the focus with a screw ....
All the regular ones that come in M42 mount are available without the fixing screws.

---------- Post added 05-30-16 at 01:39 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by HopelessTogger Quote
MF is so easy with these lenses it's not an issue.
With the ZK 50/2 that lives on my K-5, I've found that I can't trust the green hexagon,
and have to use live view magnification for really sharp results at f/2.
Hopefully it's better with the K-1.
05-30-2016, 12:18 PM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
All the regular ones that come in M42 mount are available without the fixing screws.

---------- Post added 05-30-16 at 01:39 PM ----------

With the ZK 50/2 that lives on my K-5, I've found that I can't trust the green hexagon,
and have to use live view magnification for really sharp results at f/2.
Hopefully it's better with the K-1.
What's the 2/50 like?

I've forgotten what AF is since I got the other two. Using them on the K-1 is a delight.

05-30-2016, 01:12 PM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Cuthbert Quote
For those who aren't familiar with esoteric Soviet glass, that's the Volna 50mm f1.2 developed in nine protoypes (it appears) by GOMZ for the Almaz 103 project in K mount and for the Kiev 18 in Nikon mount.
I think KMZ has a 50mm f1.2 in production now, but not in Pentax K. If I remember right, someone wrote to them, and the reply was they would make it in Pentax K if we get somewhere 50-100 legitimate preorders.
I don't know if this current 50mm f1.2 has the same lineage as that Volna, I don't know its optical design.
Honestly, if PF takes part and connects with some other forums, I think this could be done. Zeiss require a little more preorders and have higher prices, so it would be more difficult
05-30-2016, 01:20 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
I think KMZ has a 50mm f1.2 in production now, but not in Pentax K. If I remember right, someone wrote to them, and the reply was they would make it in Pentax K if we get somewhere 50-100 legitimate preorders.
I don't know if this current 50mm f1.2 has the same lineage as that Volna, I don't know its optical design.
Honestly, if PF takes part and connects with some other forums, I think this could be done. Zeiss require a little more preorders and have higher prices, so it would be more difficult
The "current" 50mm f1.2 is nothing like the Volna, it looks like a monster that weights 600 gr and it's not intended to be used on full frame cameras:

https://www.moscowphoto.net/lenses/zenitar/lens-mc-zenitar-f1250mm-for-canon...onet-brand-new

For what I see there it's also a pre-set lens like the old Helios 40, while the Volna was a standard 1.2 with automatic diaphragm, nothing like a Cyclops lensto be used just wide open.
05-31-2016, 03:46 PM   #37

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
If you don't see the need for better products, it doesn't mean there isn't.
I probably should be one of the target markets for a weather sealed fast zoom lens, photographing racing dogs outdoors rain or shine... is the pentax 70-200 the best lens at any price? maybe - I look forward to seeing an objective test. Is there a return on investment for swapping out having multiple copies of the Tamron for one? Not for me. And it's not that I don't see a need, because I certainly would love one. But obviously Pentax did not target me with their strategy in pricing the lens.

06-01-2016, 02:54 AM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SBeck Quote
I probably should be one of the target markets for a weather sealed fast zoom lens, photographing racing dogs outdoors rain or shine... is the pentax 70-200 the best lens at any price? maybe - I look forward to seeing an objective test. Is there a return on investment for swapping out having multiple copies of the Tamron for one? Not for me. And it's not that I don't see a need, because I certainly would love one. But obviously Pentax did not target me with their strategy in pricing the lens.
Keep an eye out for periodic discounting of the D-FA* 2.8/70-200. £1849 in the UK, sometimes offered at £1549.

Mine's on order along with the 2.8/15-30, but no idea when they'll be turning up.
06-01-2016, 11:16 AM   #39
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Many of the Zeiss 35mm lenses,
including the new Distagon 15/2.8 and Apo-Sonnar 135/2,
are available in M42 screw mount.
(The Apo-Distagon 55/1.4 isn't.)

Large Image Format Lenses | ZEISS International
That is very cool! It is good to know that Zeiss continues to support that legacy mount, though the lenses on that page are intended for industrial applications. I suspect that the M42 versions have full-manual aperture.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 06-01-2016 at 11:25 AM.
06-01-2016, 11:29 AM   #40
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Not a dumb question at all.

Distribution Partner | ZEISS United States

Five addresses in California.
By their cameras and they will sell you the lenses too

Steve
06-01-2016, 11:58 AM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SBeck Quote
I haven't yet had a single instance where my tamron 70-200 was lacking. As long as there is any third party lens support for pentax at this level of quality (and at a fraction of the cost), I don't see Ricoh as being successful with their expensive lens strategy.
I'm glad you like your Tamron and you are right there will always be a market for less expensive lenses. But I think your comment about Ricoh not being successful is rather odd. All first party brands produce glass that is much more expensive than the third party ones. Perhaps you think Nikon and Canon will also be unsuccessful with that strategy? While there is definitely a market for cheap alternatives there is also a market for expensive top of the line first party glass.
06-01-2016, 12:24 PM   #42
Pentaxian

Oh well, if Zeiss don't make any more of their lenses with a PK mount, I suppose I will just have to muddle through....somehow.... with my Limited lenses. I've got a Leitz lens, a Zeiss Super Ikonta B medium format camera and a Mamiya 220 Pro F with 3 Mamiya-Sekor MF lenses... and I like all of 'em.

But I've also found that in my many decades of photography, I've been more than happy with my Takumars and Pentax lenses. They are excellent and in my humble opinion, the top Pentax lenses in the range, are competitive with just about anything.

In the end I don't care. I realize that Zeiss like any after market lens manufacturer, has to justify making enough products for them to be a profit. They are in business to make money and stay in business. There is not enough demand for Pentax K mount lenses for many after market manufacturers to justify making and marketing a PK lens mount lens.

That's...that, I would guess.

So what's the next question.
06-28-2016, 07:41 AM - 1 Like   #43
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by HopelessTogger Quote
What's the 2/50 like?
If I were restricted to only one lens, this would be it.
It's really versatile, and does a pretty good job at all sorts of tasks.
It's a "standard" lens in all senses of that word.

(Sorry for the slow response.
I've been too busy photographing recently to check out PF!)
06-28-2016, 07:54 AM   #44
Veteran Member

If I were restricted to only one lens, this would be it.
It's really versatile, and does a pretty good job at all sorts of tasks.
It's a "standard" lens in all senses of that word.

(Sorry for the slow response.
I've been too busy photographing recently to check out PF!)
Yeah, me too. Been a bit flat out with Brexit.

Thanks!
06-28-2016, 10:32 AM   #45
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
ZENITcamera:

Zenitar-N1,2/50 S - APS-C Nikon version without aspherical elements
Zenitar-C1,2/50 S - APS-C Canon version without aspherical elements

Zenitar-C 1,2/50 - APS-C Canon version with aspherical elements

FF version 10 blades aperture

---------- Post added 06-28-2016 at 10:43 AM ----------

But no K-mount

---------- Post added 06-28-2016 at 10:45 AM ----------

????????????? ????? ???????????? ?????? ??????????. ?????????? ? ???????????.

Last edited by ogl; 06-28-2016 at 10:41 AM.