Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-03-2016, 01:31 PM   #91
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Simen1 Quote
@Silver-Surfer: I'm just happy to help. If you still wonder about something, just ask.
Im not biting..do some research please!!

06-03-2016, 01:43 PM   #92
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
About what?
06-03-2016, 01:47 PM   #93
Pentaxian

About what?
Photography.
06-03-2016, 02:01 PM   #94
Veteran Member

Can you just tell me what you disagree with and explain? We are not making progress with this unspecific nonsense.

06-03-2016, 02:40 PM   #95
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Can you just tell me what you disagree with and explain? We are not making progress with this unspecific nonsense.
For one thing, the K-1 has more than 1 stop better noise control than the K-3. So, just shooting at f/2.8 vs f/4 isn't going to make them equal.
06-03-2016, 02:41 PM   #96
Pentaxian

Nope I wont.
06-03-2016, 03:38 PM - 2 Likes   #97
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This thread seems to have gone off the rails.

06-04-2016, 12:34 AM   #98
Veteran Member

I think we might have talked about slightly different things. Looking back, johnmflores talked about K-3II vs K-1. I was talking about APS-C vs FF in general, like in K-1 crop mode vs FF mode. I'm not sure if there is a noise difference or how large it would be between the the K-3II and K-1 crop mode, but if we take sensor differences out of the equation, like K-1 crop mode vs FF mode, then f/4 on FF should equal f/2,8 in crop mode in terms of noise. Of course except when the ISO levels hit their extreme limits and cant be changed accordingly or comparing apples to oranges scenes. In this context there is no noise benefit from using f/4 on FF compared to f/2,8 in crop mode.

In my vocabulary sharpness and resolution are synonyms, and thus mentioned twice.

The claim of less perspective distortion (more telephoto compression) is a clear misunderstanding of the concept from Silver-Surfer. This is entirely a property that depends on field of view. Sensor size and focal length is just underlying factors to what FoV you get. Please don't roll eyes and tell others to do more research when you should have done that yourself. Please look up telephoto compression and what influences it.

As for CA, I said I don't know if there is a general advantage to having larger sensors. You can compare vastly different sensor sizes with a selection of lenses that was designed for their size and see that CA can be well controlled with all sizes. And badly controlled with all sizes. Its a lens design choice for the intended quality and price.

In other words, 5 advantages condensed down to 1 advantage, 1 uncertain, 1 redundant and 2 wrongs.

Please try to discuss this in a good manner in the context of the topic. If you think I need some explanation, please explain. I'm here to socialize around my main interests, and hopefully learn more, not to get comments like I should do more research on photography in general before posting, without any explanation.

Last edited by Simen1; 06-04-2016 at 05:22 AM. Reason: Expletive removed.
06-04-2016, 01:14 AM   #99
Pentaxian

I expect the K-1 will offer a significant noise advantage compared to my K-5IIs, despite theories claiming that it shouldn't
06-04-2016, 02:12 AM   #100
farmerDavid

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
This thread seems to have gone off the rails.
Now I can't get that stupid Ozzy song out of my head
David
06-04-2016, 02:27 AM   #101
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
I expect the K-1 will offer a significant noise advantage compared to my K-5IIs, despite theories claiming that it shouldn't
In crop mode? Well, we should start a new thread about that. Real world comparison between K-1 crop mode and various Pentax APS-C models with the same lenses. It would be an interesting investigation and read. Before testing I would assume that K-5IIs and K-1 crop mode perform quite close and slightly better then K-3/K-3II on noise.
06-04-2016, 02:28 AM   #102
Pentaxian

No, not in crop mode. You were talking about something... I was continuing with that.
But it's not really worth discussing, that theory It rarely ends up well.
06-04-2016, 07:32 AM   #103
Pentaxian

Please try to discuss this in a good manner in the context of the topic. If you think I need some explanation, please explain. I'm here to socialize around my main interests, and hopefully learn more, not to get comments like I should do more research on photography in general before posting, without any explanation.
To make it clear. Crop mode is not part of this discussion.
-resolution pertains to pixel quantity
-Sharpness or (micro contrast) 1.5x sharper in scale on K1
-Chromatic aberrations are 1.5x smaller in scale on K1 therefore narrower
06-04-2016, 09:27 AM   #104
Veteran Member

The basis was johnmflores quote:
QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
What benefits would the K-1 with a bag of F4 zooms have (if any) over a K-3 II with a bag of F2.8 zooms?
K-1 crop mode was not mentioned, but this obviously hints about exposure differences between APS-C and FF in general. The theory is clear, FF have about 1 stop lower noise then APS-C if you use the same aperture number. Now, if you set the FF system back with 1 stop smaller aperture, that noise advantage is lost. Turning theory into practice, we talk about the DA* 16-50mm f/2,8 zoom on K-3II versus the patented 35-80 f/4 zoom on K-1. Its not an exact match but close enough that large parts of the zoom ranges gives equal field of view. The DA* are designed for APS-C and does not work well on K-1 in FF mode. The 35-80 f/4 patent states FF image circle. We are not talking about a bag of f/2,8 FF lenses used on a crop camera and comparing it to f/4 FF lenses on a FF camera. We are comparing lenses that are designed for the sensor they are used on. Lenses are designed to have a micro contrast suitable for the sensor size its supposed to be used on. The same goes for CA.

The video shows that telephoto compression changes with field of view. Just like I said. But he doesnt change the field of view wit
06-04-2016, 09:39 AM   #105
Veteran Member

The basis was johnmflores quote:
QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
What benefits would the K-1 with a bag of F4 zooms have (if any) over a K-3 II with a bag of F2.8 zooms?
K-1 crop mode was not mentioned, but this obviously hints about exposure differences between APS-C and FF in general. The theory is clear, FF have about 1 stop lower noise then APS-C if you use the same aperture number. Now, if you set the FF system back with 1 stop smaller aperture, that noise advantage is lost. Turning theory into practice, we talk about the DA* 16-50mm f/2,8 zoom on K-3II versus the patented 35-80 f/4 zoom on K-1. Its not an exact match but close enough that large parts of the zoom ranges gives equal field of view. The DA* are designed for APS-C and does not work well on K-1 in FF mode. The 35-80 f/4 patent states FF image circle. We are not talking about a bag of f/2,8 FF lenses used on a crop camera and comparing it to f/4 FF lenses on a FF camera. We are comparing lenses that are designed for the sensor they are used on. Lenses are designed to have a micro contrast suitable for the sensor size its supposed to be used on. The same goes for CA.

The video shows that telephoto compression changes with field of view. Just like I said. But he only changes field of view in one of the two ways possible. By changing the focal length and not by changing sensor size. In post #60 you claimed that the bag of f/4 zooms would give more telephoto compression. Maybe I misunderstood you. There is two possibilities:

1. You claim that FF shooters choose narrower FoV (different composition) then APS-C shooters in the same situation. That would be absolutely ridiculous. OR
2. You claim that telephoto compression depends solely on focal length, not FoV or sensor size. That is absolutely wrong.

So, given my possible misinterpretation, was your claim 1. absolutely ridiculous or 2. absolutely wrong?