Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-29-2016, 09:40 AM   #301
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Maybe it is better if Pentax camera's don't get any online review anymore. Not from vloggers that take their time nor from other websites about camera gear and camera use. You never will have confusion about functionality in the future. No two reviews saying something different about a specific use or anything. That would be a long "Winter is coming" for Pentax.

06-29-2016, 02:19 PM   #302
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by anu l Quote
Yup, The K-1 as a debut Full frame DSLR will always have many shortcomings, some of which are.

- lack of USB3
- K-1 lags behind the competition in Continuous AF & overall AF performance.
- It lacks in burst speed.
- not that a new model will help bit it also seriously lacks in Full frame lens availability.

I think the last point is today the biggest deal breaker for most non pentaxians who could have choosen Pentax if otherwise.

(Many criticize it, but I think Tony Northrup got it bang on over the lack of FF lenses for Pentax in the second video ("Attack of the PENTAXIANS"). His first one was very practical & he admitted that he didn't consider the 3rd party alternatives for Pentax in first video.
The older lenses lack too much in Image quality to justify a 36MP full frame sensor.
)
- I agree it could have USB3, mostly for tethering. Personally I'm never in the studio and I don't transfer my images that way, so I don't have any use for it. I think TN exaggerates this disadvantage.
- Yes, Pentax tracking AF lags behind, but it doesn't mean its useless for a range of purposes. Most people would find it more then enough. Its still better then most competitors in the same price range and better then 3-5 years old top models from others.
- Yes, it lacks burst speed (and 1080p at 60 fps), but that is still ok for most purposes. As with AF, why should CaNikon sports journalists define what photography is about? Photography is so much more and 4,4/6,5 fps is plenty for most of us. But for the sports niche, I'm sure Pentax will launch something they will appreciate more.
- No, there are plenty of lenses and you cant just rule out 3. party or older Pentax lenses. Its there, and its available. Last year there was a poll about how many megapixels people wanted the K-1 to have. Quite a few hoped it would get less then 36 Mp. In other words lower resolution is ok for many. Even if its done by less resolving lenses. There are many other reasons then resolution to choose full frame, and that goes for competing systems as well. Some of the latest top models offering just around 20 Mp. F, FA, A-lenses and so on will make many of us (and future Pentaxians) satisfied even in those cases they will reduce the resolution somewhat. There is no unwritten law that says the sensor should resolve less then the lens.
06-29-2016, 02:23 PM - 2 Likes   #303
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Simen1 Quote
- I agree it could have USB3, mostly for tethering. Personally I'm never in the studio and I don't transfer my images that way, so I don't have any use for it. I think TN exaggerates this disadvantage.
The weird thing is that USB transfer rates from the K-1 seem to be slow even by USB2 standards. I'm sure this will be improved on whatever comes next, though.

Overall, for $1799 the K-1 delivers more than anyone could ask for at that price, IMO.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

06-29-2016, 02:31 PM   #304
Pentaxian

Would be a good idea to invest in a usb 3.0/1 cardreader then. I think you can even use UHS-II cards, which will just act as UHS-I in the K-1 but can be read much faster in the right reader.

06-29-2016, 05:05 PM   #305
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
Would be a good idea to invest in a usb 3.0/1 cardreader then. I think you can even use UHS-II cards, which will just act as UHS-I in the K-1 but can be read much faster in the right reader.
That would be great, if i wasn't using a USB -2 computer.
06-30-2016, 01:15 AM   #306

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The weird thing is that USB transfer rates from the K-1 seem to be slow even by USB2 standards. I'm sure this will be improved on whatever comes next, though.

Overall, for $1799 the K-1 delivers more than anyone could ask for at that price, IMO.
Yes, they have priced it very well.
makes it very attractive product at this price point.
07-01-2016, 08:18 PM   #307
Site Supporter

This thread is not about the K-1

QuoteOriginally posted by anu l Quote
people seem to be getting confused about what I wanted to say.

my point was not about what works for particular person or a particular type of photograph.

When I wrote it I wasn't considering Pentaxians. people who have Pentax gear are the first one's who will be happy.

It was about non Pentax users. & you may ask why worry about them?

the thing which I'm worried is lens variety, availability & along with more Pentax lenses third party support is critical for this (their price point augments the possibility of Pentax being a practical option for more people). One must appreciate the interdependence, if you have more demand of a brand then more 3rd party manufacturers will be interested in making lenses. This will create more options for people & will attract more people in general (more importantly non pentaxians).

for this, a camera which fulfills the demands of a wide range of people will help.

K-1 is still not there.

(for current Pentaxians this is the last concern, since they being with the brand proves their every need is fulfilled by Pentax, & Pentax serves them very well)

but to increase their base beyond the current pentaxians they will need better video, which pentax cleary doesnt do with K-1
they also need the range and availability of lenses (now here please don't think from your point of view, but from PENTAX's point of view because they have to consider the aggregation of all "points of views")

people say - "I havent seen much pentax users who are complaining about the lack or shortcoming of a particular feature". But think about it, if they did chances are they would have left Pentax. Most Pentax users are happy because Pentax (in cases which matter them the most) works for them.

for a meaningful survey you must consider non pentaxians too, & they happen to be the overwhelming majority.

So why do I care?, I care because less pentax users means less pentax availability in my region, higher price & hardly any lens availability & less service/support.

& why do I not take Canon/Nikon because like most other Pentaxians, it's offerings in a product works for me too.

Hope someone gets my point.
jumping the gun doesn't help.
Why are you going on-and-on, in comment-after-comment, about the K-1?? The K-1 is being sold to users. They will tell us about, and even better show us, its strengths and weaknesses.

This thread is about the recently-announced K-70. No, it will not be a perfect camera either, but its price will be very nice, and it may lead the way for an even nicer APS-C camera priced somewhere between the K-70 and K-1.
07-01-2016, 08:34 PM   #308
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote

Completely agree. I've personally never had the need for tethering and never transfer images via usb. Fast cards in a fast card reader work perfectly well.

07-02-2016, 02:55 AM   #309

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Why are you going on-and-on, in comment-after-comment, about the K-1?? The K-1 is being sold to users. They will tell us about, and even better show us, its strengths and weaknesses.

This thread is about the recently-announced K-70. No, it will not be a perfect camera either, but its price will be very nice, and it may lead the way for an even nicer APS-C camera priced somewhere between the K-70 and K-1.
I had made 3 comments on the K-1, one was with respect to another comment on the K-1, another is the one you've quoted trying to explain the previous comment, & one was with quoted message by Adam on it's pricing.

All were made 2 days back.
I don't understand why you think I am dragging it till now. Others have talked about K-1 in this thread after me.
07-02-2016, 03:36 AM   #310
Pentaxian

So it's the beginning of July. Isn't Ricoh supposed to announce availability for the K-70?
07-02-2016, 05:21 AM   #311

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
So it's the beginning of July. Isn't Ricoh supposed to announce availability for the K-70?
Amazon says July 15th and others cay later in July. I have one on pre-order and think it will be a really nice camera. About this thread, the posters taking it over to discuss all the tiny pluses and minuses of the K-1, have wasted a lot of our time.

Once a few users get the K-70 in hand, the information and comparisons will be coming in steadily. That'll be fun.

Jack
07-02-2016, 02:54 PM   #312
Pentaxian

From memory the k-3? Or at least k-3ii received a more powerful screw drive AF motor.

Does anyone know if this beefier AF motor is in the newly announced K-70.

It must have the better SR motors if it has pixel shift tech. That was good for 4.5 stops from memory. Just wondering about the AF motor.
07-02-2016, 03:13 PM   #313
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by richandfleur Quote
From memory the k-3? Or at least k-3ii received a more powerful screw drive AF motor.

Does anyone know if this beefier AF motor is in the newly announced K-70.

It must have the better SR motors if it has pixel shift tech. That was good for 4.5 stops from memory. Just wondering about the AF motor.
It was the K-3.
07-02-2016, 06:31 PM   #314
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
It was the K-3.
Thanks.

Anyone able to determine if this uprated screwdriver motor made the k-70?
07-02-2016, 06:38 PM   #315
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by richandfleur Quote
Thanks.

Anyone able to determine if this uprated screwdriver motor made the k-70?
I can't imagine that it wouldn't be. The upgraded AF in the K-3 was capable of handling a faster AF motor. The K-70 should be the same.

QuoteQuote:
Amazon says July 15th and others cay later in July. I have one on pre-order and think it will be a really nice camera. About this thread, the posters taking it over to discuss all the tiny pluses and minuses of the K-1, have wasted a lot of our time.

Once a few users get the K-70 in hand, the information and comparisons will be coming in steadily. That'll be fun.

Jack
Keep us informed. Inquiring minds want to know.