Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-02-2016, 06:45 PM   #316
Site Supporter




Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: South Bend, IN, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,879
QuoteOriginally posted by richandfleur Quote
Anyone able to determine if this uprated screwdriver motor made the k-70?
Unless this motor would reduce weight or cost of the camera, I don't see this as a big issue. The only in-camera motors I'm interested in are the aperture / mirror motor systems that apparently caused reliability issues for the K-30/50. Personally, I would much rather see them put the effort into PLM and other modern technologies than into the older technologies {such as screw-drive}

07-02-2016, 08:59 PM   #317
Pentaxian
richandfleur's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Palmerston North, New Zealand
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,123
Yeah depends on them raiding the existing k-50 k-s2 parts bin, or picking from the k-3 instead.

Agree, hope it's the latter

I do like that the k-70 is a comprehensive upgrade from the k-50, but am disappointed still at the lack of mechanical SR on video mode. Adding AF during video seems to be the only video focused improvement in the last 3 years or so.

Can someone remind me what's happening with the flash on the k-s2 and k-70? Something about no longer being able to be an optical trigger for off camera flash etc. I forget the specifics but remember some comment about this. Just working out what that change will mean in practise over what the k-50 offered.

Thanks.
07-03-2016, 02:16 AM   #318
Senior Member




Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 216
QuoteOriginally posted by richandfleur Quote
Yeah depends on them raiding the existing k-50 k-s2 parts bin, or picking from the k-3 instead.

Agree, hope it's the latter

I do like that the k-70 is a comprehensive upgrade from the k-50, but am disappointed still at the lack of mechanical SR on video mode. Adding AF during video seems to be the only video focused improvement in the last 3 years or so.

Can someone remind me what's happening with the flash on the k-s2 and k-70? Something about no longer being able to be an optical trigger for off camera flash etc. I forget the specifics but remember some comment about this. Just working out what that change will mean in practice over what the k-50 offered.

Thanks.
Don't think the K-70's on-board flash can act as a wireless flash commander for external flashes (seems that the K-70's following the K-S2's way in more ways than just looks), there is no such mention in the manual about such a functionality. Rather you'll need 2 or more flashes to do it. a bit disappointing since the K-50 had it & also composition adjustment & K-70 has neither.
07-03-2016, 07:07 AM   #319
Pentaxian
normhead's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Near Algonquin Park
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 24,914
I guess the fact that the K-70 isn't designed to be a commercial camera, a fact that affects it's price point and moves it down into a less practical but higher sales type unit has been lost somewhere. The question is not what it doesn't have. The question is, is it practical for your use. Wishing it had this that or the other doesn't change that. If it doesn't have what you want say "it doesn't meet my needs " and banish it from your mind.

There ar two possible uses for this camera, Pixel shift, and better than K-3II high ISO performance. Those are the things they are trying to address. It always amazes me when folks talk about advanced amateur and pro uses when discussing entry level DSLRs. Of course it doesn't have everything you want as an advanced amateur or pro. Look at the price.

07-03-2016, 07:22 AM   #320
Pentaxian
RonHendriks1966's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,705
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
There ar two possible uses for this camera, Pixel shift, and better than K-3II high ISO performance. Those are the things they are trying to address. It always amazes me when folks talk about advanced amateur and pro uses when discussing entry level DSLRs. Of course it doesn't have everything you want as an advanced amateur or pro. Look at the price.
To me this is like thinking as a camera company. Is the new Safox module of the K-1 really more expensive to produce then thè old one? Yes, development cost money, but once you made it the production probably is at the same price level as making another run of the old module for the lower tier product. A camera like K-70 is picking parts to complete the product. Usb-3, hdmi port, sensormodule and sr-system, shutter, mirror box, af-module and so on. Some choices cost penny's, but make the camera less versatile for the end user. Maybe Pentax should just look differently to these products. The line of K-3 with magnesium alloy body and the other line with a light er body, but as much the specs as possible.
07-03-2016, 01:29 PM   #321
Forum Member




Join Date: May 2016
Location: Hastings UK
Posts: 58
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
It always amazes me when folks talk about advanced amateur and pro uses when discussing entry level DSLRs. Of course it doesn't have everything you want as an advanced amateur or pro. Look at the price.
Totally agree. I'm pretty much a walker first, birdwatcher second and photographer third. Weight and weatherproofing are key for me and the K70 looks like an ideal step up from my much loved K30. As always, price is a major factor to a hobbyist.

Pros and studio shooters would probably dig a bit a deeper and carry a bit more weight but I reckon there are plenty of enthusiasts with shallow pockets and bad backs hoping the K70 lives up to the specs!
07-03-2016, 01:45 PM   #322
Pentaxian
Edgar_in_Indy's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Indiana, USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,607
QuoteOriginally posted by planteater Quote
Pros and studio shooters would probably dig a bit a deeper and carry a bit more weight
What's wrong with the K-70 in the studio? I've happily used my K-30 for 10's of thousands of clicks in the studio.
07-03-2016, 02:40 PM - 1 Like   #323
Pentaxian
richandfleur's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Palmerston North, New Zealand
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,123
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Of course it doesn't have everything you want as an advanced amateur or pro. Look at the price.
It's been discussed here quite a bit, with regards to the K-30 and what that offered. The K-30 has some features that are now removed from the K-70. People aren't asking for pro features above what this range is physically capable of, such as 1/8000s max shutter speed, or 8fps burst rate etc. We're talking software here, to enable the use of the K-70 as a flash master to an off camera slave. The K-30 can do this, the K-70 can't. That's a software choice, such as composition adjustment also.

07-03-2016, 02:53 PM   #324
Pentaxian
normhead's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Near Algonquin Park
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 24,914
QuoteOriginally posted by richandfleur Quote
It's been discussed here quite a bit, with regards to the K-30 and what that offered. The K-30 has some features that are now removed from the K-70. People aren't asking for pro features above what this range is physically capable of, such as 1/8000s max shutter speed, or 8fps burst rate etc. We're talking software here, to enable the use of the K-70 as a flash master to an off camera slave. The K-30 can do this, the K-70 can't. That's a software choice, such as composition adjustment also.
How do you know it's not a hardware choice? When it's Pixel Sift, flash or no flash, the choice is obvious. Especially with burst rate, higher burst rates are more expensive. Pentax achieved it int eh K-3 by using 3 separate motors for the various shutter functions instead of 1. Just because someone says it's"just a software issue" doesn't make it true.
07-03-2016, 03:13 PM   #325
Pentaxian
Zygonyx's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Ile de France
Posts: 3,022
Well, i guess "native brand flash" functionnality is no more such an issue as it has been, due to improved performance of sensors in low ambient light...
Nowadays, you can buy third part accessoires that help you do the job when it comes to studio or specific flash demanding photos.
This said, i'm affraid we never will see such emphasis of Ricoh as a few await, on improving Pentax flash system.
07-03-2016, 03:23 PM   #326
Pentaxian
richandfleur's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Palmerston North, New Zealand
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,123
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
How do you know it's not a hardware choice? When it's Pixel Sift, flash or no flash, the choice is obvious.

There are two aspects that are being discussed here, that are different between the K-30/K-50 and the K-70. They are:
Onboard flash no longer able to be used as a master trigger for off camera flash.
SR being used for composition adjustment.

Given these two are uses of hardware that is known to be on the K-70, I've called these as software changes. ie features that could be included given the hardware available to play with.
I could be wrong, not saying otherwise, but it looks as though the two features above could have been included on the K-70 if Pentax wanted to.
For some reason these were dropped from the K-S2, and the K-70 looks to be a K-S2 in a new body, so it's flowed onto this model as well.

---------- Post added 07-04-16 at 10:24 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
Well, i guess "native brand flash" functionnality is no more such an issue as it has been, due to improved performance of sensors in low ambient light...
Flash as a fill light is just one possible use. A flash allows one to 'shape' the light in the shot, so is not necessarily made redundant just because your camera now has better ISO performance.
07-03-2016, 03:30 PM   #327
Site Supporter




Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: South Bend, IN, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,879
QuoteOriginally posted by richandfleur Quote
It's been discussed here quite a bit, with regards to the K-30 and what that offered. The K-30 has some features that are now removed from the K-70 ... That's a software choice, such as composition adjustment also.
As a retired software engineer, who did do some embedded development, I need to remind people again here that "software choice" is not as simple as it sometimes seems. Each time a feature is added, even if the code already exists, the control software becomes more complicated and the space required to hold software increases.
07-03-2016, 05:17 PM   #328
Pentaxian
richandfleur's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Palmerston North, New Zealand
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,123
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
As a retired software engineer, who did do some embedded development, I need to remind people again here that "software choice" is not as simple as it sometimes seems. Each time a feature is added, even if the code already exists, the control software becomes more complicated and the space required to hold software increases.

Subroutine packages allow for the fast deployment of code between projects. There's no way Pentax starts from scratch every time they release a slightly newer model. Memory/space/CPU capabilities are all cheaper and more plentiful as time goes on. If you don't have enough room in your new system then it's not an upgrade. Pentax is full of little subroutines that people may or may not use, such as composition adjustment, HDR, intervalometer, photo filters, Movie SR.

I get the discussions, no problems there, but these are components that Pentax has consciously opted not to include in newer models. The real question is simply why?


Maybe this will get 10s of air time in a future Pentax Forum interview with Pentax.
07-03-2016, 07:45 PM - 1 Like   #329
Site Supporter




Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: South Bend, IN, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,879
QuoteOriginally posted by richandfleur Quote
Subroutine packages allow for the fast deployment of code between projects. There's no way Pentax starts from scratch every time they release a slightly newer model. Memory/space/CPU capabilities are all cheaper and more plentiful as time goes on. If you don't have enough room in your new system then it's not an upgrade. Pentax is full of little subroutines that people may or may not use, such as composition adjustment, HDR, intervalometer, photo filters, Movie SR.
Yes, I understand subroutines. I wrote them and I used them for many years. I also wrote code under code-space and execution-time discipline. The question is what Pentax can cram into the memory actually placed in the particular camera. They do not need to upgrade each and every component in order for the new camera to be an upgrade. Perhaps you do know exactly how memory is configured for the K-50, K-S2, and K-3ii; I do not have that particular information, nor do I know the particulars of what is available to their design team, so I am not going to second-guess what they did.


You may grump if you want to. I am going to look forward with at least a little excitement to each new product as others report actual experience.
07-03-2016, 08:13 PM   #330
Pentaxian
richandfleur's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Palmerston North, New Zealand
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,123
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote

You may grump if you want to.

Not grumping at all, more just pointing out some odd choices around what was included.


Many K-30 / K-50 users were impressed to find a model that didn't skimp on the software capabilities, offering a cut down hardware experience in ways that suited a lot of casual users. The K-30/50 had no option for a grip, wasn't a full metal body, couldn't do 1/8000s shutter speed, or have a particularly massive buffer/burst rate ability. It did however (short of a lower RAW bit ability) offer pretty much everything the K-5 could do and then some when it came out, including focus peaking and full HD video at 1080p 24fps etc.


My comments are more an observation of what Pentax has chosen to leave out this product family this time around. I'm sure they have their reasons as you say, but my point is this is a departure from the previous approach of this model range. Canon for example don't include certain video software features, even when the hardware is actually capable, because it cuts into their more expensive dedicated video line. Traditionally Pentax haven't done this, and I'm interested to see if we're seeing this start to occur.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
a6000, af, availability, battery, built-in, correction, ergonomics, flash, function, headphone, interval, jpeg, landscapes, lens, lenses, mic, pentax, pentax news, pentax rumors, pentaxians, people, post, sd, sheets, specs of pentax, sr, upgrade, video
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
K-S2 detailed review? JRMax Pentax K-S1 & K-S2 7 07-21-2015 09:12 AM
Specs of K-3II Daikokuya Pentax News and Rumors 780 04-26-2015 06:05 AM
Pentax K-3 Officially Announced (See our detailed preview here!) Adam Pentax News and Rumors 213 11-18-2014 01:46 AM
Macro Detailed photos of Pentax K-5 Silver special edition shaolen Post Your Photos! 8 05-30-2012 08:14 AM
Newbie needs advice on where to find detailed Pentax ist DL specs turay Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 1 11-24-2010 01:57 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:33 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top