Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-04-2016, 12:21 AM - 1 Like   #331
Senior Member




Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 216
QuoteOriginally posted by richandfleur Quote
It's been discussed here quite a bit, with regards to the K-30 and what that offered. The K-30 has some features that are now removed from the K-70. People aren't asking for pro features above what this range is physically capable of, such as 1/8000s max shutter speed, or 8fps burst rate etc. We're talking software here, to enable the use of the K-70 as a flash master to an off camera slave. The K-30 can do this, the K-70 can't. That's a software choice, such as composition adjustment also.
That's my point, If having a feature adds some extra cost then it's understandable why they don't make it to the non pro cheaper bodies. but Flash commander, composition adjustment features don't seem to be needing extra hardware to be included. For example you need the sensor shifting capability to have composition adjustment & the code is already present in K-50.

Ricoh-Pentax seem to be reserving some of the pro level features exclusively for the K-3 & K-1 series, even when including those in K-Sx & K-x0 wont cost anything extra (probably because having it adds a lot value to the product).

Having said that it must be appreciated that they've included the Pixel shift & 4.5 stops SR in K-70.

07-04-2016, 01:49 AM - 1 Like   #332
Site Supporter




Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Utrecht
Posts: 118
QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
What's wrong with the K-70 in the studio? I've happily used my K-30 for 10's of thousands of clicks in the studio.
I agree that this is a common misconception, that pro photographers would only use the best camera available. Pros would choose the most suitable camera that gets the job done. It's just a tool to get their vision across. Why would you need a magnesium body and weather sealing in a studio environment?

Consumers buy into these kinds of things, wanting the stuff that pros have. I'll admit I'm a gearhead who's a sucker for this as well. Same thing happens in other hobbies like cycling. How many amateur cyclists do you see with expensive gear, carbon fibre frames and whatnot? Fact is the gear makes a difference sure, but it's the person who gets the job done, not the gear. And how much of a difference is debatable. Any recent camera body is so advanced that most amateurs don't even use it to it's full potential. I know I don't.

So this K-70 will probably be more than enough camera for most of us. Sure we can talk about features and design choices, and that we'd like this or that to be included, but to be fair at their price point (Pentax and other brands) cameras nowadays offer so much. We're pretty much spoiled people nagging over here. As long as we realise this once in a while, there's nothing wrong with that. First world problems
07-04-2016, 02:30 AM   #333
Senior Member




Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 216
QuoteOriginally posted by Borrelli Quote
I agree that this is a common misconception, that pro photographers would only use the best camera available. Pros would choose the most suitable camera that gets the job done. It's just a tool to get their vision across. Why would you need a magnesium body and weather sealing in a studio environment?

Consumers buy into these kinds of things, wanting the stuff that pros have. I'll admit I'm a gearhead who's a sucker for this as well. Same thing happens in other hobbies like cycling. How many amateur cyclists do you see with expensive gear, carbon fibre frames and whatnot? Fact is the gear makes a difference sure, but it's the person who gets the job done, not the gear. And how much of a difference is debatable. Any recent camera body is so advanced that most amateurs don't even use it to it's full potential. I know I don't.

So this K-70 will probably be more than enough camera for most of us. Sure we can talk about features and design choices, and that we'd like this or that to be included, but to be fair at their price point (Pentax and other brands) cameras nowadays offer so much. We're pretty much spoiled people nagging over here. As long as we realise this once in a while, there's nothing wrong with that. First world problems
few months back I'd been to my cousin's engagement ceremony, A couple of wedding photographers were busy shooting the event. I was curious to know what gear the pro photographers were using, so just gave a quick glance to their gear.

To my surprise they were using the D3200 with a 18-55 kit lens (not 100% sure but pretty much looked like the kit).
07-04-2016, 03:11 AM - 1 Like   #334
Site Supporter
geomez's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Preskit Arizona
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,560
QuoteOriginally posted by anu l Quote
Ricoh-Pentax seem to be reserving some of the pro level features exclusively for the K-3 & K-1 series, even when including those in K-Sx & K-x0 wont cost anything extra (probably because having it adds a lot value to the product).

Having said that it must be appreciated that they've included the Pixel shift & 4.5 stops SR in K-70.
I think this is the most likely case. It's kinda like Disneyland. They nearly always have the same number of attractions. Whenever there's something new you can almost surely bet that something old is going away.

Pentax may not want to just give more and more features with each new mid-level or beginner camera release. Sure memory increases, screen resolution goes up, and other things keep up with the times, but features are a different story. The features define the camera and the features sell the camera.
If they sell camera 1 with features A, B, C, and D, then sell the follow-up camera with features A, B, C, and E and it sells more units, they may then sell camera 3 with features A, B, E, and their exclusive new technology, feature F.
We need to remember that these are business decisions. If a few generations of mid-range cameras missing your favorite features have poor sales, they very well may put the feature back in future models.
Unfortunately the only way we can really sway Ricoh is with our wallets.



07-04-2016, 03:46 AM - 1 Like   #335
Pentaxian
D1N0's Avatar

Join Date: May 2012
Location: ---
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,609
Well Pentax did incorporate 14 bit raw in the K-70 up until now a top model feature, K-s2 and K-50 are 12 bit. It has 4.5 stop sr and psr and mechanical anti aliassing, a Bright Pentaprism, Wifi (not yet in the K-3 /k-3 II) 24mp sensor with pdaf of a newer generation than is in the K-3 and it is just $650 at launch.
07-04-2016, 11:59 AM   #336
Senior Member




Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 216
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
To me this is like thinking as a camera company. Is the new Safox module of the K-1 really more expensive to produce then thθ old one? Yes, development cost money, but once you made it the production probably is at the same price level as making another run of the old module for the lower tier product. A camera like K-70 is picking parts to complete the product. Usb-3, hdmi port, sensormodule and sr-system, shutter, mirror box, af-module and so on. Some choices cost penny's, but make the camera less versatile for the end user. Maybe Pentax should just look differently to these products. The line of K-3 with magnesium alloy body and the other line with a light er body, but as much the specs as possible.
It's not so much about cost, it's about keeping a product attractive in it's respective segment without threatening others.

I don't think having the K-1's AF module to K-70 would do lots of good to Pentax & K-1 as a product, The successor to K-3 II should have this (like D5 & D500 both share same AF module) but K-70 is less than half the price, surely this will have some impact on pricing of K-70 & also the sales of K-1 and/or K-3 II.

Having said that, it is disappointing to see that the K-70 has the same dated AF module which was dated even for the K-S2 when we compare it with the likes of Nikon D5500 (9 cross total 39) & Canon T6s/i (19, all cross type).

something intermediate falling between that of K-5 II and K-3 II like say 19 with all cross, or even 19 with 9 cross type would have helped a lot.
Such a configuration wouldn't threaten sales of either K-3 II or K-1.
07-04-2016, 12:14 PM   #337
Senior Member
stein's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Subotica
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 234
Two days ago bought a brand new K-3II for the same price as K-70 (K-70 still not available, in Europe listed at 700€ for preorder)
Didn't think more than a day or so.
07-04-2016, 01:08 PM   #338
Site Supporter




Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Utrecht
Posts: 118
QuoteOriginally posted by stein Quote
Two days ago bought a brand new K-3II for the same price as K-70 (K-70 still not available, in Europe listed at 700€ for preorder)
Didn't think more than a day or so.
That's a very good price for a new one. I bought a lightly used one for the same price (411 actuations), from a Pentax dealer. There weren't too many around last week when I was looking.

07-04-2016, 08:13 PM - 2 Likes   #339
Site Supporter
reh321's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: South Bend, IN, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,724
May 1979 - Aug 1995 I was a Pentax user. Sept 1995 I switched to Canon because I liked their USM lenses so much better than the screw-drive AF system Pentax was using. Nov 2014 I opened a membership here because I was dis-satisfied with Canon Rebel bodies, and I wanted to know much more about where Pentax had gone in the previous 20 years. It seemed like every time I asked a reasonable "why" question, someone would complain that I was being "negative". Now, a year after I bought a K-30, I'm beginning to understand why people over-reacted to my questions. Time after time, the process I've observed is that Pentax will make an announcement, and the immediate result is a few positive comments, followed by a chorus of nit-picking: "Yes, I like A, but why B, C, and D?"



I apologize to some of you if you feel that I've been unduly negative about your negative comments. Yes, before the first K-70 is sold, we already know that it is not perfect, but I believe that it will be a very good bargain just as it is, and if this is an indication of where Pentax is going, their next top APS-C camera will be highly desirable. Beyond that generality, we should wait until members post actual images before reaching conclusions.
07-05-2016, 12:08 AM   #340
Senior Member
stein's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Subotica
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 234
QuoteOriginally posted by Borrelli Quote
That's a very good price for a new one. I bought a lightly used one for the same price (411 actuations), from a Pentax dealer. There weren't too many around last week when I was looking.
I thought the same. The RRP in Hungary (nearest shop/dealer) is around 900€ (depending on HUF-EUR exchange rate).
Found a few on German ebay around 650€ but with shipping cost and very high chance of paying import duties and taxes that would end up much more. Ended up with paying 700€ for a brand new body with zero actuations and clear history/origin (in terms of knowing it's not stolen or something like that) With GPS (no need to spend extra 200€ for the Astrotracer), pixel shift and generally everything what comes in the K-3 package, I had no reasons to hesitate...
07-05-2016, 03:56 PM   #341
Site Supporter




Join Date: Sep 2012
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,728
QuoteOriginally posted by anu l Quote
few months back I'd been to my cousin's engagement ceremony, A couple of wedding photographers were busy shooting the event. I was curious to know what gear the pro photographers were using, so just gave a quick glance to their gear.

To my surprise they were using the D3200 with a 18-55 kit lens (not 100% sure but pretty much looked like the kit).
Not sure those were really "pro photographers" who would have been using a Nikon D3xxx. Almost all wedding photogs I've seen use some version of a Canon 5D. Occasionally you'll see something like a Nikon D800/810.
07-05-2016, 09:32 PM   #342
Senior Member




Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 216
QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
Not sure those were really "pro photographers" who would have been using a Nikon D3xxx. Almost all wedding photogs I've seen use some version of a Canon 5D. Occasionally you'll see something like a Nikon D800/810.
Professional in the sense they were photographers by profession. Not relatives/friends taking photos. they may not be "PRO"s in that sense.
07-07-2016, 07:01 AM - 1 Like   #343
Site Supporter




Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Avalon Peninsula, Newfoundland
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 325
QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
Well Pentax did incorporate 14 bit raw in the K-70 up until now a top model feature, K-s2 and K-50 are 12 bit. It has 4.5 stop sr and psr and mechanical anti aliassing, a Bright Pentaprism, Wifi (not yet in the K-3 /k-3 II) 24mp sensor with pdaf of a newer generation than is in the K-3 and it is just $650 at launch.
Over the present K-50 I have had for a couple of years now, the K-70's greater megapixel count, 14-bit raw, and for certain purposes pixel shift are real selling points for me. I am hoping for better low light performance as I often shoot in very dark/dingy conditions outdoors in Newfoundland. Wi-fi is a convenience point but I just typically just pop the SD chip and insert it into my computer and may still do so if I upgrade. I must say, I am tempted by the feature list. The WR 55-300 too as I use an older nonWR model which gives pretty good pictures. But as I'm often outdoors or on the water, this may be a bit chancy.

Re. AF performance, well consider the price tradeoff. I find the K-50 speed acceptable for my stuff. K-70 unit should be a bit better. I rarely use points, rather focus on half push and then offset physically.
07-07-2016, 09:22 AM   #344
Senior Member




Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 216
QuoteOriginally posted by jgnfld Quote
Over the present K-50 I have had for a couple of years now, the K-70's greater megapixel count, 14-bit raw, and for certain purposes pixel shift are real selling points for me. I am hoping for better low light performance as I often shoot in very dark/dingy conditions outdoors in Newfoundland. Wi-fi is a convenience point but I just typically just pop the SD chip and insert it into my computer and may still do so if I upgrade. I must say, I am tempted by the feature list. The WR 55-300 too as I use an older nonWR model which gives pretty good pictures. But as I'm often outdoors or on the water, this may be a bit chancy.

Re. AF performance, well consider the price tradeoff. I find the K-50 speed acceptable for my stuff. K-70 unit should be a bit better. I rarely use points, rather focus on half push and then offset physically.
With all these features like 14 bit RAW, 24 MP, fully articulating screen, Pixel shift, special night day modes, I think the K-70 will be the best Crop Sensor DSLR, even beating the K-3 II.

The K-3 II really beats the K-70 in fast paced action photography like Bird, sports, wildlife etc. with high fps, buffer, buttons & customization (but even here the K-70 has 3 user modes & 2 fn buttons) but it loses on Articulating screen which is important for static shooting like portraits, landscapes & macro.

Plus the K-70 will perform better than K-3 II when in live view with hybrid AF.
07-07-2016, 09:39 AM - 1 Like   #345
Site Supporter
reh321's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: South Bend, IN, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,724
QuoteOriginally posted by jgnfld Quote
.... Wi-fi is a convenience point but I just typically just pop the SD chip and insert it into my computer and may still do so if I upgrade...
I used to say the same thing myself, but lately I've found myself then using a cable to transfer the image from my computer to my phone {you can do that with Windows and Android phones} so I can text it to members of my family {sometimes I use my K-30 or Q-7 instead of my phone, even if I know the image is going to the phone, because those do so much better under many circumstances}. For example, I used my Q-7 + birding kit to take this picture, even though I knew I would be sending it to them, because getting close enough to take a good picture with the phone would have scared off the mother bird.

Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
a6000, af, availability, battery, built-in, correction, ergonomics, flash, function, headphone, interval, jpeg, landscapes, lens, lenses, mic, pentax, pentax news, pentax rumors, pentaxians, people, post, sd, sheets, specs of pentax, sr, upgrade, video
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
K-S2 detailed review? JRMax Pentax K-S1 & K-S2 7 07-21-2015 09:12 AM
Specs of K-3II Daikokuya Pentax News and Rumors 780 04-26-2015 06:05 AM
Pentax K-3 Officially Announced (See our detailed preview here!) Adam Pentax News and Rumors 213 11-18-2014 01:46 AM
Macro Detailed photos of Pentax K-5 Silver special edition shaolen Post Your Photos! 8 05-30-2012 08:14 AM
Newbie needs advice on where to find detailed Pentax ist DL specs turay Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 1 11-24-2010 01:57 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:45 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top