Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 116 Likes Search this Thread
07-13-2016, 10:30 AM - 1 Like   #406
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
They did it so they could stuff in WiFi and GPS and still keep it compact.
That response doesn't fit the 'corporations are evil and exist only to serve their shareholders' meme.

07-13-2016, 11:05 AM - 1 Like   #407
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I didn't get the memo
07-13-2016, 11:51 AM   #408
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
That response doesn't fit the 'corporations are evil and exist only to serve their shareholders' meme.
Smart corporations do that by keeping their customers happy. Happier customers means more customers and more profits. At least that's the way it's supposed to work.
07-13-2016, 11:58 AM   #409
Veteran Member

They did it so they could stuff in WiFi and GPS and still keep it compact.
Maybe for the K3-ii and K-1, but not for the K-70 which have a on board flash anyway. For the K-70, it's just an issue have adding some code to the software. A code they don't even need to develop since they have used it for years in many cameras...

07-13-2016, 12:28 PM   #410
Pentaxian

It wasn't in the ks-2 either nor the ks-1. The K-3 was the last one to have it.

Last edited by D1N0; 07-13-2016 at 12:36 PM.
07-13-2016, 12:56 PM   #411
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Smart corporations do that by keeping their customers happy. Happier customers means more customers and more profits. At least that's the way it's supposed to work.
Certainly true if they want to thrive, but that's a far cry from 'corporations exist to serve customers'. Corporations are entitled to choose what they do. They are not obligated to meet every demand of every person with a keyboard.

We I think all agree that Ricoh Imaging Americas has not met the standard of good customer service (maybe not good anything). I hope some Posters can distinguish that from Pentax products generally. NA is a real problem. K-1 faults aren't (yet).
07-14-2016, 01:44 AM   #412
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by CarlJF Quote
Maybe for the K3-ii and K-1, but not for the K-70 which have a on board flash anyway. For the K-70, it's just an issue have adding some code to the software. A code they don't even need to develop since they have used it for years in many cameras...
Yeah, software is free, everyone knows that. Screw them.

07-14-2016, 05:58 AM - 1 Like   #413
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Yeah, software is free, everyone knows that. Screw them.
If you read what I was answering to, I was not implying that software is free but rather that it has nothing to do with the physical size of the body or "lacking space" to add the feature... And since the piece of software needed to control flash already exists in other bodies, R&D cost to integrate this well known code in the K-70 should be minimal. It's not like developing an whole new code from scratch, it's just porting old code into the K-70.
07-14-2016, 06:01 AM   #414
Pentaxian

The K-70 is based on the same basis as the K-s1 and K-s2. We don't know why wireless flash control was omitted. Maybe Adam can ask Ricoh on Photokina.
07-14-2016, 08:18 AM - 1 Like   #415
Pentaxian

We don't know why wireless flash control was omitted. Maybe Adam can ask Ricoh on Photokina.
And reaffirm that 'too much noise' no longer cuts it as a valid reason why mechanical sensor stabilisation shouldn't be re-enabled in video mode.

A menu mode option, with a warning of potential audible noise, should at least be offered.
07-14-2016, 08:31 AM   #416
Pentaxian

Has anybody ever tried to decompile Pentax firmware? Maybe changes like sr in video and flash controll can easily be added
07-14-2016, 10:09 AM   #417
Veteran Member

If anybody did, they probably would not talk to laud about it on the net. It would probably break the software/camera license and provoke Pentax for a lawsuit.

Ideally, for users not camera companies, firmware and software should be open source so anybody could improve and spread the improvement (with a quality assuring mechanism), but obviously Pentax wants us to buy new cameras in stead. And they would not want other camera brand users to copy code to use on their cameras.
07-14-2016, 10:12 AM   #418
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Simen1 Quote
If anybody did, they probably would not talk to laud about it on the net. It would probably break the software/camera license and provoke Pentax for a lawsuit.

Ideally, for users not camera companies, firmware and software should be open source so anybody could improve and spread the improvement (with a quality assuring mechanism), but obviously Pentax wants us to buy new cameras in stead. And they would not want other camera brand users to copy code to use on their cameras.
I already found a thread on this very forum
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/6-pentax-dslr-discussion/250555-resurrect...e-hacking.html
07-14-2016, 11:57 AM   #419

I am following it closely, Cant wait for composition adjustment & wireless flash commander to be enabled on all cameras which dont have it, & a few other things like SR, AF-C in video etc.

And those goodies which CHDK gives to Canon cameras.
07-14-2016, 02:15 PM - 1 Like   #420
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by CarlJF Quote
If you read what I was answering to, I was not implying that software is free but rather that it has nothing to do with the physical size of the body or "lacking space" to add the feature... And since the piece of software needed to control flash already exists in other bodies, R&D cost to integrate this well known code in the K-70 should be minimal. It's not like developing an whole new code from scratch, it's just porting old code into the K-70.
The problem is the 'just'. I guess only guys into programming can understand what I mean.