Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
From Digital Camera Info:

??????K-70??????? - ????info

- 24MP APS-C CMOS sensor
- No low-pass filter
- In-body camera shake correction 'SR'
- Pixel shift with motion correction
- Low-pass selector (Off, Type 1, Type 2, bracketing of 3 pictures)
- PRIME M II image processor
- Shutter 30s -1/6,000s. Synchro 1/180s
- ISO 100-204,800
- Viewfinder: 100% field of view. Magnification 0.95x
- AF: SAFOX X. 11 points (of which 9 are cross-type). Sensitivity: -3EV.
- LED AF-assist light
- 77 segment exposure metering
- Focus peaking
- Video: full HD 60i and HD 60p
- Autofocus in video mode: on-sensor hybrid AF (phase difference and contrast detection)
- Built-in flash. Guide number 12. Covers the angle of view of 28mm (equivalent 36mm)
- Dust and water resistant
- Resistance to low temperature: -10°C
- 3.0-inch 921,000-dot vari-angle LCD monitor. Red light for night vision
- Continuous shooting up to 6 frames / second (40 JPEG, 10 RAW, 8 RAW+JPEG)
- O-GPS support (GPS, Astrotracer)
- 4K interval movie. Star stream [?]
- Built-in wi-fi
- Media: SD / SDHC / SDXC (UHS-I)
- Battery: D-Ll109
- Customizable control panel and function buttons
- Size: 125.5mm x 93.0mm x 74.0mm
- Weight: 688g (including battery and SD card).
Nice specs! Looks like K-S2 upgraded with majority of K3-II guts, but retaining articulating screen and built-in flash!

06-06-2016, 09:36 PM - 1 Like   #107
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
My honest belief is that cradling with two hands provides superior stability to basically waving it around with one.
My honest belief is that that svelte bodies is one of the major reasons that MILCs are so popular today.
And, yes, thirty years ago they already had a demonstrated ability to form almost any shape, but they went to the bloated T-90 design only when an industrial designer hired by Canon led in that way, a designer who was no better than the much-maligned Marc Newson.
+ 1

I've never understood why the left side of modern camera's are so narrow. It forces you to form a cradle under the camera with your left hand that I don't find natural or comfortable at all.
06-06-2016, 09:47 PM   #108
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by carlb Quote
+ 1

I've never understood why the left side of modern camera's are so narrow. It forces you to form a cradle under the camera with your left hand that I don't find natural or comfortable at all.
The best way to hold the old cameras was also with the left hand under the camera. AFAIR it was even illustrated with a photo in the MX manual
06-06-2016, 09:47 PM - 1 Like   #109
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Good form and habits haven't changed due to modern body shapes. Protruding camera grip or not, you form a stable base with the left hand, hold the camera loosely with the right and press against your face - three points of contact.

Then you can properly squeeze the shutter button to avoid punching it, which causes vibration.
Or the tummy for my 3rd point - but for that I prefer tip to flip screens. Since the K-s2 has one type and the K-1 'sorta' the other, we'll see where the K-70 goes. I'm still wishing this year would mark a new agreement with Samsung, for sensors and a bit of NX tech to rev up the mirrorless lineup. Ever the optimist, not sure if I really want a kenspo comment for a reality check or a crushed dream ..

06-06-2016, 09:48 PM   #110
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
My honest belief is that cradling with two hands provides superior stability to basically waving it around with one.
My honest belief is that that svelte bodies is one of the major reasons that MILCs are so popular today.
And, yes, thirty years ago they already had a demonstrated ability to form almost any shape, but they went to the bloated T-90 design only when an industrial designer hired by Canon led in that way, a designer who was no better than the much-maligned Marc Newson.
If it works for you then go with it. It doesn't work for me and that is OK too.

There is no way I'm trying to hold onto a brick when we have progressed to camera bodies with an actual hand grip and formed spot for the palm, no more than I'm going to try to eat a cheeseburger with chopsticks... The current designs are a better but there is still quite a ways we can go. But forwards is not backwards to brick state.

Even today's "Svelte" bodies have a fairly decent sized, contoured hand grip.... they aren't just a rectangle with a button on top like those old designs. And, besides, when you start to load up the weight on the front (for instance with a large zoom lens) it becomes a liability to have a smaller brick body. The grip is a valuable feature.
06-06-2016, 09:50 PM   #111
Pentaxian

By the way - if the sensor has on-chip phase detect the SAFOX data is a bit of a red herring isn't it? I would love the -3EV focus ability over the K-50 and other low-mid level cams though. I wish the K-01 could get a PD-chip refit.
06-06-2016, 10:31 PM - 1 Like   #112
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jimr-pdx Quote
By the way - if the sensor has on-chip phase detect the SAFOX data is a bit of a red herring isn't it? (...)
Not exactly since the on-sensor phase detection is only used in video mode.

This is not a mirrorless camera with an EVF. In photo mode, with the mirror down the sensor doesn't see the light.

06-07-2016, 01:20 AM   #113
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I hope it looks like a retro Super ME with a grip so that it can be held properly. I also hope it will have a battery grip, I'm crazy about battery grips. It makes the camera look mean.
06-07-2016, 01:23 AM   #114
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
The LX had the ergonomics of a thin brick. No thanks.

The camera body needs to be come more rounded and hand molded than it is today, not less!
I was talking about function, not ergonomics. Re-read my post carefully.
06-07-2016, 01:46 AM   #115
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
I hope it looks like a retro Super ME with a grip so that it can be held properly. I also hope it will have a battery grip, I'm crazy about battery grips. It makes the camera look mean.
It doesnt! Sorry! Its not a big thing they release now! More exciting stuff will come later...
06-07-2016, 02:07 AM   #116
Pentaxian

Thanks anyway Kenspo. I was just dreaming out loud.
06-07-2016, 02:13 AM   #117
Pentaxian

What can be so exciting?

The full frame is out,

The K70 specs are known but not official,

A new Q wont be that exciting to many,

This leaves 2 prospects, a/ A k3ii update/replacement
OR
b/ A new mirrorless?

06-07-2016, 02:57 AM   #118

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
b/ A new mirrorless?
This would be awesome... I'm still hunting for a k-01 though.
06-07-2016, 03:08 AM   #119
Veteran Member

The full frame is out,

The K70 specs are known but not official,

A new Q wont be that exciting to many,

This leaves 2 prospects, a/ A k3ii update/replacement
OR
b/ A new mirrorless?

new lenses brought forward because the cash flow is good?
06-07-2016, 03:43 AM - 1 Like   #120
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
a/ A k3ii update/replacement OR b/ A new mirrorless?
Mirrorless! I doubt they will release two close neighboring products like K-70 and K-3 III. A K-02 would make more sense, but with a very different design then K-01. In short: EVF, larger indent between the "mirror house" and grip, classic styling, modern features, lower weight.

Last edited by Simen1; 06-07-2016 at 04:43 AM.