Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-14-2016, 02:06 PM   #271

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by richandfleur Quote
I had hoped that about the Movie SR stabilisation, as it wasn't listed anywhere in the release info, whereas in the past it's been listed clearly. It was still there though, and Pentax are right not to advertise that fact...

Digital zoom and focus peaking DURING video recording are on my video improvement wish list.
Along with real SR, audio level visualisations (are these included yet?), clean hdmi out and a higher bitrate mode, oh and blinkies/zebras to warn of over/under exposure during video recording.

Personally I'd love to see the above over AF in video actually, but don't really care the order of delivery, as long as it all does get delivered one day soon.
The above is actually not that much of a development, I haven't added 4k to the mix etc, as I'm "keeping it real".

that is my wishlist as well, but mic input, better codec, focus peaking during video recording is a good start. Sensor shift SR would also be a good come back.
The rest is a dream I fear to ask, but would expect to be present if they want to keep up. Offers from Sony are still drawing towards them. anyway, happy to see some improvements in video department by Ricoh, this is one if not the only section that is/was sorely abandoned by Ricoh Pentax.

QuoteQuote:
The headphone/Remote socket is now combined, to get the socket to cover both functions the internal wiring contacts have been moved about in relation to the plug, its still 2.5 size but if you compare the old release it has 2 black bands on the plug giving 3 contact areas, and the new release has 3 black bands giving 4 contact areas, as the larger k3/k1 has no such space problems I think it will have 2 sockets one for each function in the future models.
I think they should focus on up to date technologies more, like better wifi and wireless support, things like being able to control every single option of the camera using your mobile phone brings another dimension to the way how cameras work in terms of remote control. Wired limited shutter release remote control is a bit yesterday. A decent wifi ship can save them lots of space for some better goody than wasting space or thinking about how to combine this and that to make a remote work with mic jack etc. Not that it is a bad thing, but nowadays there plenty more things that are more valuable to attract customers with. I would rather see Ricoh Pentax focus on future technologies adaptation with their flagship models.

06-14-2016, 02:41 PM   #272
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Agree re the likes of external trigger inputs. You do have to look at the grade of the camera, and at consumer grade that's quite a niche requirement. I'd expect that to feature on the K-5/K-3 level cameras personally.

On the flip side, pentax should have a more reliable intervalometer offering, which would go somewhat towards not requiring an external trigger connection. Bulb mode can be controlled via IR remote, so they do offer ways of controlling without the need for an external trigger connection.

Agree on the video side of things. I will wait and reserve judgement until after I've seen a review/sample etc, but on the surface Pentax have still done nothing to their K-3 video package from 2013, which was only marginally better (added 1080 at 60i) than their 2012 K-01/K-30 package. I'm seeing lots of 'this is Pentax's video camera' but I'm not seeing anything to suggest this. This package has K-3 video and add's AF with certain lenses (see below).

The K-70 does pull all the currently available pieces into one body, but that's really a price thing more than any video development. This essentially gives you a K-3 in video terms (mic included like the K-3) but with a twisty screen and the one new feature of the hybrid on sensor PDAF. Essentially,(bar the new sensor AF), that's a reshuffle of the parts bin and not a video development. Hope to be proven wrong, but from the specs I'm reading they don't appear to have done anything further in video terms, other than add a mic port to the K-S2 and enable AF with some lenses, none of which I currently have.
06-14-2016, 02:46 PM   #273
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I think Pentax is still using the Milbeaut m-7m, even in the K-1. Even though they call it Prime IV. Maybe it has been made on a smaller process, so they can clock it faster with the same energy use. The milbeaut m-8m is supposed to be able to do 4k which the K-1 can't. Also it is more aimed at action camera's. This might be a real problem for Pentax (and Nikon).
06-14-2016, 03:09 PM   #274
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
The milbeaut m-8m is supposed to be able to do 4k which the K-1 can't.
The PRIME IV might be able to encode 4K on the flight; what good is that if the sensor can't supply the data?

I would advise against speculating based on a single factor. I'm not talking only about the last post.

06-14-2016, 03:12 PM   #275
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
The PRIME IV might be able to encode 4K on the flight; what good is that if the sensor can't supply the data?

I would advise against speculating based on a single factor. I'm not talking only about the last post.
I am speculating this is a threat
06-14-2016, 03:26 PM   #276
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Danas_Anis Quote

I think they should focus on up to date technologies more, like better wifi and wireless support, things like being able to control every single option of the camera using your mobile phone brings another dimension to the way how cameras work in terms of remote control. Wired limited shutter release remote control is a bit yesterday. A decent wifi ship can save them lots of space for some better goody than wasting space or thinking about how to combine this and that to make a remote work with mic jack etc. Not that it is a bad thing, but nowadays there plenty more things that are more valuable to attract customers with. I would rather see Ricoh Pentax focus on future technologies adaptation with their flagship models.
Ricoh's Image Sync app allows quite a lot of remote camera control. I can control shutter, set focus point, aperture, ISO, white balance, preview images....
All from my Android phone. No need for a wired shutter release cable or IR remote, and obviously offering much more freedom.

It can be a bit touch and go still on making the initial connection, I sometimes have to retry a couple of times, but it works well once I do.

Last edited by gatorguy; 06-14-2016 at 04:09 PM.
06-14-2016, 04:05 PM   #277
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
I am speculating this is a threat

06-15-2016, 08:57 AM   #278
Pentaxian

IMO this is usual Ricoh experiments, they introduce KAF4 with a low end body and can take feedback. Then they will refine it and built it into a mid or high end body with another novelty, like proper video codecs and frame rates.
06-15-2016, 09:33 AM   #279

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
IMO this is usual Ricoh experiments, they introduce KAF4 with a low end body and can take feedback. Then they will refine it and built it into a mid or high end body with another novelty, like proper video codecs and frame rates.
If I understood correctly, KS line was supposed to be innovation line.
In theory, because of some old interview about Ricoh and Pentax, I came to a conclusion that whenever the KS series comes out, it should have some new stuff introduced, that should later on be implemented in main lines if they are accepted positively. Like Leds on KS-1, they came to conclusion that leds on buttons is a yes go, leds to make camera flashy is not really a good go, but then they came up with an idea how to use them correctly in K1, KS-2 came with a wary angle screen and wifi built in, both proved to be a good go, now we have K-70 with both of these with some advancements. We could see those implemented in K3 successor model. Can;t comment on KAF4 though, it might be just an unavoidable evolution.
06-16-2016, 12:21 PM   #280

QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
Not all info is correct. Even many belive it, K-70 is NOT replacement for K-50. I have all info here, but i won't step over the line again..haha

There are more interesting stuff going on then the K-70
you mean there's a lot more in box from pentax In very near future.... maybe the K-70 is just a transition, or an experiment, maybe something very solid is coming up which may blow away the competition from Canon & Nikon.....

hope they release it soon..... dont want to see those pentax K-70 buyers getting regretful & angry with their purchase & say --- "If only I had waited a bit more" ......
06-28-2016, 05:57 AM   #281
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by anu l Quote
Originally posted by kenspo
Not all info is correct. Even many belive it, K-70 is NOT replacement for K-50. I have all info here, but i won't step over the line again..haha

There are more interesting stuff going on then the K-70
you mean there's a lot more in box from pentax In very near future.... maybe the K-70 is just a transition, or an experiment, maybe something very solid is coming up which may blow away the competition from Canon & Nikon.....

hope they release it soon..... dont want to see those pentax K-70 buyers getting regretful & angry with their purchase & say --- "If only I had waited a bit more" ......
I have the exact same feeling. In-fact I am thinking there is another FF in the cooker possibly 42mPix sony sensor of course that has this hybrid focusing system offering superb video capabilities. This body is going to be better and more capable than the K-1 in the sense what D-810 is to D-750 this new K-2 will be to K-1. Wonder if the newly build D-FA lenses are provisioned for the continuous AF capability.

@Kenspo keeps saying there is more interesting stuff in the pipe and I don't see what else could it be.
06-28-2016, 02:32 PM   #282
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by shardulm Quote
this hybrid focusing system offering superb video capabilities.

Just to be clear, on sensor PD AF points offers the ability for better AF in video mode. It does nothing to the video quality (resolution/codec/bitrate), focus peaking and/or sensor stabilisation during video capture etc.
By all accounts, none of that has changed at all.
06-28-2016, 02:45 PM   #283
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by richandfleur Quote
Just to be clear, on sensor PD AF points offers the ability for better AF in video mode. It does nothing to the video quality (resolution/codec/bitrate), focus peaking and/or sensor stabilisation during video capture etc.
By all accounts, none of that has changed at all.
And until now Pentax has not offered better video recording. Low bitrate and electronic vr. So basicly not much changed since K-01.
06-28-2016, 04:10 PM   #284
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
And until now Pentax has not offered better video recording. Low bitrate and electronic vr. So basicly not much changed since K-01.
That's correct. In 2012 the K-01 and K-30 cameras came out with focus peaking the ability to record 1080P at 24fps. They also had full manual control during video mode.
Unfortunately the mechanical stabilisation stopped working during video capture then also, so a few steps forward and a few steps back.
The video format changed to h264 also, which favoured smaller file sizes over the previous format.

In late 2013 the K-3 was released and this increased the video offering slightly by adding 1080i at 60fps. That was essentially a marketing move, as nothing should really be interlaced these days anyway.

Now in 2016 they have added the ability to have continuous AF during video mode, with a select range of lenses.

My comments are just to balance the descriptions I'm seeing here and there, of the K-70 being Pentax's video camera offering, with superb video capabilities etc.
The K-70 adds a mic input (which is new to this range of camera, but not to Pentax), and a flippy screen which to some may be considered a video feature, and the ability for video AF if you have a suitable DC motor lens.

It offers no changes to the core video offering, essentially first offered in 2012, which is now well overdue for a revamp, and which firmly places Pentax at the bottom of the camera companies in terms of core video functionality. Even those such as Olympus and Fuji (who were openly anti video at one stage) offer more capable out of the box/core video capabilities than Pentax now.
06-29-2016, 03:30 AM   #285
Pentaxian

Maybe Pentax should try to make a camera that uses a Phone soc. Imaging developments in mobile phones are much faster than in the socionext milbeaut.