Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 116 Likes Search this Thread
07-07-2016, 10:11 AM   #346

Before I saw this post, I never thought of trying it, but does Pentax support OTG storage on Android? I don't have an OTG cable to test it out with, but I can see how that might come in handy.

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I used to say the same thing myself, but lately I've found myself then using a cable to transfer the image from my computer to my phone {you can do that with Windows and Android phones} so I can text it to members of my family {sometimes I use my K-30 or Q-7 instead of my phone, even if I know the image is going to the phone, because those do so much better under many circumstances}. For example, I used my Q-7 + birding kit to take this picture, even though I knew I would be sending it to them, because getting close enough to take a good picture with the phone would have scared off the mother bird.

07-07-2016, 01:24 PM   #347
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by amg2000 Quote
Before I saw this post, I never thought of trying it, but does Pentax support OTG storage on Android? I don't have an OTG cable to test it out with, but I can see how that might come in handy.
What I did when I had an Android phone was to put a USB cable between the phone and my Windows computer, and the phone appeared to the computer as an external disk drive would.
07-07-2016, 01:44 PM   #348
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The k-3 level range is always going to be a different type of model. Has grip, all metal body, faster burst, larger buffer, external dials, faster shutter, twin card slots, can do more with flash and composition adjustment etc now.

They (k-70 k-3ii and its successors) are comparable but are different. It's always been a case of so the compromise areas really matter enough to you on the k-30/50/70?
07-07-2016, 03:00 PM   #349
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by richandfleur Quote
The k-3 level range is always going to be a different type of model. Has grip, all metal body, faster burst, larger buffer, external dials, faster shutter, twin card slots, can do more with flash and composition adjustment etc now.

They (k-70 k-3ii and its successors) are comparable but are different. It's always been a case of so the compromise areas really matter enough to you on the k-30/50/70?
I totally agree with you except I don't understand why you group the K-3ii with the K-70 instead of with the K-3.

07-07-2016, 03:33 PM   #350
Pentaxian

Sorry, typed on a phone, soaking wet on a bus to work.

Was meaning the K-3 line and the K-70 are comparable (both Pentax DSLRs after all with similar software features) but are different in terms of all the points listed above.

What appealed to me originally about the K-30 was that it gave me all the bits I wanted from the higher spec models, and left out the bits that I was ok with. I didn't want a grip for example, and the K-30 burst rate was fast enough for me. The lower price made the parts I did want very affordable for me. I'm hoping we'll see that continue, and the initial price indications support that, but I'm a bit surprised to see some higher end software features be dropped, such as the flash commander bit from the on board flash.

Anyhow, the K-70 looks the business, in terms of stills. Once assume the K-3 successor will be even more epic in this regard.

Personally though I feel stills is good enough for me right now. I'm happy with the dynamic range on the K-30 and K-S1, and the resolution and the metering. The AF could be better, I really do feel that I'm limited to centre point AF on my cameras, and they are plain useless when it comes to tracking the kids at their sports day running down the track.

So really I think video and AF are the last frontiers for Pentax now. I'm sure many will disagree, and 14bit RAW is awesome, but I'm happy with Pentax stills already. I'm half happy with the video also. If they tweaked the obvious areas in need of attention, the whole system would be perfect for me. Give us focus peaking during video capture, restore the mechanical stabilisation, provide some audio levels indicators (they may be doing this already?) and give a higher quality increased bitrate mode. Oh and a clean hdmi output signal for the pros to feed into an external recorder. Do that lot, and maybe a touchscreen for AF point selection (now that you've added AF in video mode how are you going to control it?).

As much as Iike the concept of the K-70, and I may look at one as a standard upgrade, I think I'll be waiting for yet another model to finally address the video weaknesses. By the time they do that, 4k will be standard and they'll be behind again...
07-07-2016, 04:59 PM - 1 Like   #351
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by richandfleur Quote
Sorry, typed on a phone, soaking wet on a bus to work.

Was meaning the K-3 line and the K-70 are comparable (both Pentax DSLRs after all with similar software features) but are different in terms of all the points listed above.

What appealed to me originally about the K-30 was that it gave me all the bits I wanted from the higher spec models, and left out the bits that I was ok with. I didn't want a grip for example, and the K-30 burst rate was fast enough for me. The lower price made the parts I did want very affordable for me. I'm hoping we'll see that continue, and the initial price indications support that, but I'm a bit surprised to see some higher end software features be dropped, such as the flash commander bit from the on board flash.

Anyhow, the K-70 looks the business, in terms of stills. Once assume the K-3 successor will be even more epic in this regard.

Personally though I feel stills is good enough for me right now. I'm happy with the dynamic range on the K-30 and K-S1, and the resolution and the metering. The AF could be better, I really do feel that I'm limited to centre point AF on my cameras, and they are plain useless when it comes to tracking the kids at their sports day running down the track.

So really I think video and AF are the last frontiers for Pentax now. I'm sure many will disagree, and 14bit RAW is awesome, but I'm happy with Pentax stills already. I'm half happy with the video also. If they tweaked the obvious areas in need of attention, the whole system would be perfect for me. Give us focus peaking during video capture, restore the mechanical stabilisation, provide some audio levels indicators (they may be doing this already?) and give a higher quality increased bitrate mode. Oh and a clean hdmi output signal for the pros to feed into an external recorder. Do that lot, and maybe a touchscreen for AF point selection (now that you've added AF in video mode how are you going to control it?).

As much as Iike the concept of the K-70, and I may look at one as a standard upgrade, I think I'll be waiting for yet another model to finally address the video weaknesses. By the time they do that, 4k will be standard and they'll be behind again...
Thank you.
Now we do agree {except I put zero value on video}
07-07-2016, 05:20 PM   #352
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Thank you.
Now we do agree {except I put zero value on video}

I put zero value on the inbuilt HDR mode and the various image filters and in camera processing options, but if they bother to include them I would expect them to work well for those who do.
I know that their inclusion does not hamper my requirements in anyway, so I'm happy that they are there for those who want them, and with the option for me to turn them all off.

07-07-2016, 09:28 PM   #353

Photos: Gallery
For a moment, thought to myself, "K-70 might be the next thing I will want to have..." With the 24MP sensor, pixel shift, weather resistant, just might be the next step to take. Even the price looks right. Six months after it sees the shops, the price might be a bit lower and then, then I'll might want one. And then all got ruined for me with all the talk about it's video performance. Not interested in video. Have a small Canon that already makes great videos, really lightweight, articulated screen, 50x optical zoom and even videos @240fps (not HD, though)... and used it only twice for video since I have it. There is a reason why I buy photographic equipment and that is photography. Stills. Any further interest ended with a brand new K-3 II appearing for the same price. I don't even use the live view. Guess I'm old-fashioned. Sue me.
07-07-2016, 09:43 PM   #354
Pentaxian

I'm confused. If you aren't interested in video then why should discussions about it put you off.

If you are stills orientated then this thing is close to perfection at this price.
07-07-2016, 09:46 PM   #355
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

yes K-70 shaping up to be a very nice camera indeed
07-07-2016, 11:59 PM   #356
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stein Quote
For a moment, thought to myself, "K-70 might be the next thing I will want to have..." With the 24MP sensor, pixel shift, weather resistant, just might be the next step to take. Even the price looks right. Six months after it sees the shops, the price might be a bit lower and then, then I'll might want one. And then all got ruined for me with all the talk about it's video performance. Not interested in video. Have a small Canon that already makes great videos, really lightweight, articulated screen, 50x optical zoom and even videos @240fps (not HD, though)... and used it only twice for video since I have it. There is a reason why I buy photographic equipment and that is photography. Stills. Any further interest ended with a brand new K-3 II appearing for the same price. I don't even use the live view. Guess I'm old-fashioned. Sue me.
So a very nice camera has lost its appeal to you because it has/could have better video specifications than you thought it would?
07-08-2016, 01:24 AM   #357
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
So a very nice camera has lost its appeal to you because it has/could have better video specifications than you thought it would?

And which you've outlined that you're not interested in using either way.
07-08-2016, 03:26 AM   #358

Ok, English is not my mother tongue so I might have express my thoughts the wrong way... Let me try again... If everybody talks about the video performance of a camera and tells less than nothing about the quality of the still images I become unsure if that camera is what I would like to work with. I don't mind if it has spectacular performance regarding videos, nice and fine, no problem, but what about still images? At the same time, a K-3 II that has well estabilished reputation regarding still images apear on the market for the same price and then I start thinking what to do? Do I buy a model that has proven it's value (regarding performance and IQ) or wait a bit and buy a different model that has yet to prove itself and all that for the same money? Hm. Well, had the money, had the wish to buy a more advanced Pentax camera than my faithful K-S1 (which I think is an excellent camera!) and to be honest, was a bit restless to get it rather sooner than later, so made up my mind and bought the K-3 II.
By no means would I say that there is anything wrong with K-70, neither would I say that excelling in video performance would mean that it can't make excellent stills. Maybe it will prove to make better images than K-3 II. Maybe not. With faster fps shooting and GPS (Astrotracer) the K-3 II seemed to me as a better choice for the same amount, plus, I could buy it imediately, before my trip this Summer...
Hopefully this time I made myself clear? I wouldn't trash a new model by no means for no good reason at all. Maybe I made a wrong choice but my estimate was that for the same amount of money I'll be better off with K-3 II than with K-70. After all, if you had the chance to pick between the two for the same amount of money, which one would you pick and why?
07-08-2016, 05:54 AM   #359

I've been looking at the specs of the new K-70 but I'm unsure what to buy. I'm about to buy a second camera to use together with my K-50 but I really want something that's a step up from the K-50.

Question is: K-70 or K-3 II
07-08-2016, 06:15 AM   #360
Pentaxian

K-3 II is a better camera. Especially build quality and the top LCD large battery make it so and it has gps built in but no wi-fi. The K-70 has a newer sensor (it has not been tested yet so it is an unknown) and an articulating screen and wi-fi built in and better video performance (probably).

I would postpone my decision a but until the K-70 is available and has been tested. The successor to the K-3 II may also already be announced in september and it probably will have the improvements in the K-70 as well. (and then some).