Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-10-2016, 06:56 AM   #241
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by AndrewG NY Quote
Or if you go the Sony translucent fixed mirror approach.
The SLT's have an EVF The mirror is just for PDAF. Since that can be done on sensor nowadays SLT's are obsolete.

06-10-2016, 07:20 AM   #242
Pentaxian

Given that Pentax seem incapable of ensuring that their lenses leave the factory properly centered and stay that way, a collapsible 55-300 is a disaster waiting to happen.
06-10-2016, 07:56 AM   #243
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kh1234567890 Quote
Given that Pentax seem incapable of ensuring that their lenses leave the factory properly centered and stay that way, a collapsible 55-300 is a disaster waiting to happen.
I don't share your miserably pessimistic view on Pentax lenses, but I agree with you on one point - a collapsible lens of any kind seems a gimmick to me, introducing a potential failure mode where none existed before. It's this, not the lack of compatibility with my K-5, which will be the deal-breaker for me.

I have a feeling this lens will be a failure - incompatible with previous-generation DSLRs, unnecessarily mechanically complicated (retraction system), and half a stop slower than its predecessors. The one major benefit might be that there are no longer any open holes in the back of the mount, so the WR-ness will likely be increased. We haven't seen a lens so sealed at the back since the end of the stop-down era.
06-10-2016, 08:10 AM   #244
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
I don't share your miserably pessimistic view on Pentax lenses, but I agree with you on one point - a collapsible lens of any kind seems a gimmick to me, introducing a potential failure mode where none existed before. It's this, not the lack of compatibility with my K-5, which will be the deal-breaker for me.

I have a feeling this lens will be a failure - incompatible with previous-generation DSLRs, unnecessarily mechanically complicated (retraction system), and half a stop slower than its predecessors. The one major benefit might be that there are no longer any open holes in the back of the mount, so the WR-ness will likely be increased. We haven't seen a lens so sealed at the back since the end of the stop-down era.
This discussion keeps forgetting the PLM; from my viewpoint, screwdrive has been a Pentax weakness since the day they adopted it {and why I went to Canon for twenty years}. Back a few pages, people were complaining that they had to continue using the noisy screwdrive on their K-3 cameras. It it quite possible that the PLM will provide both quiet and faster AF, making it very desireable to those of us photographing sports and wildlife. It may even encourage some of us to move to new cameras sooner than we had expected to.

Why is it that every one of these discussions spends most of its time looking for a dark lining inside a brightly shining cloud???

06-10-2016, 08:13 AM   #245
Pentaxian

My first DA55-300 was badly decentered. My second one is not perfect but passable. Somewhere in Nigeria there is probably a landfill full of returned Pentax lenses. As someone had pointed out on this (?) thread, it is a 'soccer mum' lens and it will probably sit well in that market if the pricing is right. I would not rush out to get one though.
06-10-2016, 08:27 AM - 1 Like   #246
JPT
Pentaxian

Original Poster
The Japanese camera store Yaotomi has an article up with more pictures and size comparisons with other lenses. Text is Japanese, but pictures are pictures.

????????HD PENTAX-DA 55-300mm F4.5-6.3 ED PLM WR RE ?????? ???? !!! - ??????????by????????
06-10-2016, 08:30 AM   #247
Site Supporter

My first DA55-300 was badly decentered. My second one is not perfect but passable. Somewhere in Nigeria there is probably a landfill full of returned Pentax lenses. As someone had pointed out on this (?) thread, it is a 'soccer mum' lens and it will probably sit well in that market if the pricing is right. I would not rush out to get one though.
B&H currently has them listed at the same list price as the lens it is "replacing" {although that lens now has a 20% discount}

Again I ask the question: How did we go from "Bad Pentax, this lens won't work with my camera" to "Bad Pentax, this lens probably won't work at all"?

{is any response OK as long as it starts with "Bad Pentax"??
06-10-2016, 08:41 AM   #248
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
The Japanese camera store Yaotomi has an article up with more pictures and size comparisons with other lenses. Text is Japanese, but pictures are pictures.

????????HD PENTAX-DA 55-300mm F4.5-6.3 ED PLM WR RE ?????? ???? !!! - ??????????by????????
This, with the long hood on, will quickly turn into a wobble monster

06-10-2016, 08:52 AM   #249
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
This, with the long hood on, will quickly turn into a wobble monster
Boriscletoed
06-10-2016, 09:36 AM   #250
Pentaxian

Official pictures (click for big)

06-10-2016, 10:03 AM   #251
Emperor and Senpai

Those pics look nice. I wonder how full resolution ones compare with the DA*60-250
06-10-2016, 10:19 AM   #252
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
This discussion keeps forgetting the PLM; from my viewpoint, screwdrive has been a Pentax weakness since the day they adopted it {and why I went to Canon for twenty years}. Back a few pages, people were complaining that they had to continue using the noisy screwdrive on their K-3 cameras. It it quite possible that the PLM will provide both quiet and faster AF, making it very desireable to those of us photographing sports and wildlife. It may even encourage some of us to move to new cameras sooner than we had expected to.

Why is it that every one of these discussions spends most of its time looking for a dark lining inside a brightly shining cloud???
Personally screw drive really doesn't bother me 99% of the time. I like having other options but overall I think it is a fine way to build a lens/camera system. The real bugger is AF accuracy which may or may not be related to lens motor vs. screwdrive. Previous increases in AF accuracy have been gained on both DC/SDM and screwdrive so I don't think the mechanism is at fault directly.

---------- Post added 06-10-16 at 01:31 PM ----------

Your personal results do not predict the events of others. Sadly places like Lensrentals.com don't have enough data on this lens to give failure rates. I really wish that camera companies release repair data vs. sales to give people insight into this. Perhaps a very reliable manufacturer will do so as a sales incentive.
06-10-2016, 10:50 AM   #253
Pentaxian

I cannot quite see the point of the collapsible design either - maybe they are trying to be so compact in order to reduce the appeal of smaller, more compact mirrorless systems.

The new AF motor is very welcome though.
06-10-2016, 10:57 AM   #254
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Boriscletoed
I'm close to implementing that solution, but not quite there yet. I share his pessimism with regard to this particular lens; I don't like the RE feature and I think it's looking for trouble, nor do I like the half-stop loss of light on a lens that already needs as much as it can get.

Time will tell whether or not I'm right.

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
{is any response OK as long as it starts with "Bad Pentax"??
Not always. Good Pentax for bringing out the K-1, for making it overwhelmingly a stills machine and for not giving a damn about the screamers and whiners who won't be happy unless it's mirrorless with 4K video and an ISO ceiling in the seven figures. Good Pentax for maintaining universal back compatibility with the lenses (and extensive forward compatibility with the cameras, the introduction of DC and SDM-only lenses and this new electronic diaphragm notwithstanding). Good Pentax for keeping the shake-reduction in camera (so even a fifty year old lens is as image-stabilised as the latest and greatest).

Etcetera, etcetera. I could go on making long lists of the things they have done of which I approve, but when I think they're going wrong I'm going to say so. If events (massive sales, glowing reports) prove me wrong, so be it.
06-10-2016, 11:21 AM   #255

I'm close to implementing that solution, but not quite there yet. I share his pessimism with regard to this particular lens; I don't like the RE feature and I think it's looking for trouble, nor do I like the half-stop loss of light on a lens that already needs as much as it can get.

Time will tell whether or not I'm right.

Not always. Good Pentax for bringing out the K-1, for making it overwhelmingly a stills machine and for not giving a damn about the screamers and whiners who won't be happy unless it's mirrorless with 4K video and an ISO ceiling in the seven figures. Good Pentax for maintaining universal back compatibility with the lenses (and extensive forward compatibility with the cameras, the introduction of DC and SDM-only lenses and this new electronic diaphragm notwithstanding). Good Pentax for keeping the shake-reduction in camera (so even a fifty year old lens is as image-stabilised as the latest and greatest).

Etcetera, etcetera. I could go on making long lists of the things they have done of which I approve, but when I think they're going wrong I'm going to say so. If events (massive sales, glowing reports) prove me wrong, so be it.
if you dont like the RE feature you can always opt for the older version (should Pentax choose to continue producing the current non RE version). I dont think Pentax should discontinue the older version & must give it at a lower cost.

---------- Post added 06-10-16 at 11:24 AM ----------

I want to know whether Pentax in future will bundle the 55-300 PLM RE version or a scaled down version + a 18-55 as a dual kit with the K-70.

would be nice.

currently they are only giving the 18-135 version.