Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-11-2016, 12:29 PM   #271
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
At what point does a development stop being an update and become a new lens? As someone already pointed out, this has a new optical construction, maximum aperture, collapsible mechanism, focus motor ... It is essentially a new lens that just happens to have the same focal range as a previous lens.
If you look at the road map,
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/16-pentax-news-rumors/314224-pentax-k-1-o...ml#post3546836
this is a new, unlisted, lens, because each lens is rather specifically listed, giving aperture and AF motor info as well as focal length.

However, down at the bottom of the chart, the small print says
"* Roadmap might change without notice"

And, personally, I am very glad to see it.

I bought the DA 55-300 lens less than a year ago, but I have never ever liked the screw-drive.
As I've said many times already here, when I was ready for AF, I went from Pentax to Canon because I liked their USM system so much more.
I came back to Pentax, because I was tired of Canon bodies, and I bought a K-30 at the low-end to see how that would work for me.
I bought the DA 55-300 lens because I had no hope of anything else.

Normally, I label any camera I use for less than four years as a "failure", but the K-30 has more than proven itself for me.
My wife asked me whether I wanted to buy the K-70, and my response was that I'm never an earlier adopter - I let others find the problems -
and, besides, I want to see what else Pentax does this year before I make my decision ... but this lens certainly pulls me towards getting
a K-70 sooner rather than later {and the silver/black version warms my heart, reminding of my first two Pentax cameras}

06-11-2016, 01:12 PM - 1 Like   #272
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
I don't recall that the entry level camera were anounced that much in advance...

(...).
In spite of the disruption caused by the Kumamoto earthquake, Ricoh Imaging chose not to postpone the announcement of K-70. Its date of availability is still unclear though.
06-11-2016, 01:40 PM   #273
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
At what point does a development stop being an update and become a new lens?
I doubt there is any set rules for this. I would say it depends of the purpose and specification of the lens. I would call a lens designed with same purpose and similar specification to be an updated design. The number of changes made does not really matter.
QuoteQuote:
As someone already pointed out, this has a new optical construction, maximum aperture, collapsible mechanism, focus motor ... It is essentially a new lens that just happens to have the same focal range as a previous lens.
06-11-2016, 05:12 PM - 1 Like   #274
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
The number of changes made does not really matter.
I think it does, especially if the prior version continues to be produced and sold.

06-12-2016, 07:11 AM   #275

I'll wait for the first test.
I think it will be a replacement for the existing 55-300. The 55-300 is a fantastic value: reasonably sharp; compact for a telephoto; reliable; inexpensive.
06-12-2016, 08:18 AM   #276

Photos: Gallery
what pentax forgot about when making this new lens is that if I don't have the body to support the lens, then I cannot buy it based on lens alone. I do own a 55-300 HD but would consider this lens to see if it is better, but I got a old sigma lens to play around with that fits my k3 body.
06-12-2016, 08:52 AM   #277
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by HudsonShooter Quote
what pentax forgot about when making this new lens is that if I don't have the body to support the lens, then I cannot buy it based on lens alone. I do own a 55-300 HD but would consider this lens to see if it is better, but I got a old sigma lens to play around with that fits my k3 body.
I don't think Pentax forgot that if you cannot use it on your camera you will not buy it. It is no different then when they got rid of the aperture ring on the FA-J lenses, it was useless for most cameras around but how many new lenses have it today. I suspect that it will slowly become the norm. Yes it sucks for those of us with the older bodies.
06-12-2016, 09:20 AM   #278
Loyal Site Supporter

^^^ Exactly The decision to introduce the KAF4 mount won't have been an easy one... Ricoh knows only too well that there will be many, many customers who can't make use of KAF4 lenses, and no business in it's right mind would intentionally limit the appeal of consumer products to a small subset of its existing customers. But the technology has to evolve in order to compete, and Ricoh clearly felt that the only way to introduce electronic aperture control (and who knows, perhaps even more features in the pipeline) was using the KAF4 mount. Readers may be interested to know that the new KAF4 lenses won't work on my Pentax ME Super, either

06-12-2016, 12:49 PM   #279
Pentaxian

I think cameras have shorter practical lifespan then lenses, so I'm glad to see that KAF4 didn't turn the other way around (making old lenses incompatible with new cameras). The innovation had to come and mechanical coupling of aperture and focus are natural things that have to go. I just hope future cameras still will have screw drive and aperture leaver for backwards compatibility for decades to come. And not do like Nikon did, remove the in camera screw drive motor from all cheaper cameras in short time.
06-12-2016, 04:39 PM   #280
Veteran Member

What is interesting is that it looks like a internal focusing lens. That means the AF tracking and speed will be much improved over the 55-300mm. The MTF numbers look only ok, but having a IF lens in the entry level price point is really nice.
06-13-2016, 12:06 AM   #281

QuoteOriginally posted by y0chang Quote

What is interesting is that it looks like a internal focusing lens. That means the AF tracking and speed will be much improved over the 55-300mm. The MTF numbers look only ok, but having a IF lens in the entry level price point is really nice.
I just hope that internal focussing won't mean the return of dreaded focus breathing issue found on 60-250. This will make the extra reach of 55-300 pretty much useless.
06-13-2016, 12:08 AM   #282
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by y0chang Quote

Internal focus i basically a requirement for the new PLM motor, and also a requirement for fast CDAF during video.

Another thing I noticed from press release:
QuoteQuote:
Operability of its power-assisted focus system during manual-focus operation has also been improved. Since its distance ring is designed to accurately detect the angle of rotation and swiftly react to a change of angle, this zoom lens can shift its focusing lens smoothly in response to distance ring operation.
Is this the first Pentax lens with focus-by-wire for K-mount?
06-13-2016, 12:25 AM   #283
Pentaxian

It's the second - the first being the 18-50 RE.
06-13-2016, 01:17 AM   #284
Pentaxian

So the K-3 I got less than a month ago will be useless with new lenses....great...lol.

So I guess my next question is how long will it be before the aperture lever and screw drive motors get taken out of the future camera bodies making all of the old lenses obsolete....?
06-13-2016, 02:18 AM   #285
Site Supporter

These questions should be clearly adressed to Ricoh Imaging.
With strengh....

Do this forum's representative(s) agree ?