Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-16-2016, 12:17 PM   #556
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
I agree, but we also need an upgrade on our old lenses. Maybe a FF version with better AF would be a good upgrade path for both APS-C and FF users. More like hitting 2 birds with one stone. Of course, the price will be higher.
I'd be surprised if Ricoh develops a FF version. There's already the optically-excellent (though rather expensive) DFA 70-200 (though a full-frame HD 1.4x might be a logical addition to the line-up, to be paired with the 70-200) as well as the DFA 150-450. These are premium products, but I believe Ricoh (quite rightly) sees the K-1 as a premium camera... I don't think it will develop many truly budget lenses, though I'm just guessing.

At the more consumer end of things, Tamron has long offered the full-frame 28-300 and now an updated sonic USD version (which I have in A-mount - a very nice lens), and I think that may be a more likely development for Ricoh, especially given its partnership with Tamron in lens development.

As for updates to the APS-C lenses... The existing range is optically excellent. I'd like to see a refresh of the SDM lenses with a less-problematic drive mechanism such as PLM, but the optical performance is already very good. It would be nice to see the same new drive mechanism used in updates of the DA and FA Limiteds, too.

10-16-2016, 12:18 PM   #557
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
And the answer given by RI on K-3 non K-AF4 compatibility didn't sound fair...
I don't understand how "fair" is a relevant measure here. In our modern everyone-is-connected-everywhere world, everything available when a guy buys a K-3 will continue to be available in some form for many many years - if nothing else, eBay will see to that; I keep hearing people say things like "you buy a camera for now, but glass lasts forever", so I am quite sure that any lenses a person needs will be available in some form long after the last K-3 has gone to a landfill.
10-16-2016, 02:36 PM   #558
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
As for updates to the APS-C lenses... The existing range is optically excellent. I'd like to see a refresh of the SDM lenses with a less-problematic drive mechanism such as PLM, but the optical performance is already very good. It would be nice to see the same new drive mechanism used in updates of the DA and FA Limiteds, too.
There are still gaps in the APS-C line, or lenses in need of an upgrade. The DA 12-24 f/4 has celebrated its 11th (!) birthday and is in dire need of an overhaul including in-lens AF, WR, coatings etc. The DA 35 and 50 are asking for another sibling, ideally a 24, the equivalent of the hugely popular 35 mm in full frame.
10-16-2016, 02:42 PM   #559
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
There are still gaps in the APS-C line, or lenses in need of an upgrade. The DA 12-24 f/4 has celebrated its 11th (!) birthday and is in dire need of an overhaul including in-lens AF, WR, coatings etc. The DA 35 and 50 are asking for another sibling, ideally a 24, the equivalent of the hugely popular 35 mm in full frame.
Yes, I dare say there are some older models that are basically good designs (like the DA12-24 f/4) but due for a refresh with HD coatings, better AF etc. WR would be nice too, admittedly.

And I would *love* to see a plastic fantastic DA24... what a trio that would make. I would buy that in a heart-beat

10-17-2016, 02:50 AM - 1 Like   #560
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Have you tried e-mailing Ricoh Imaging to explain that there are mixed messages about the screw-drive lens and ask if it will continue to be available for the foreseeable future?
Yes, just done.
Let's wait for RI Europe's answer.
10-17-2016, 02:57 AM   #561
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
dpreview has posted a gallery (of a Pentax lens! Hosanna!)
Pentax 55-300mm F4.5-6.3 ED PLM WR RE real world sample gallery: Digital Photography Review

Sadly it is not loading at this time.
10-17-2016, 06:53 AM   #562
Site Supporter

In short, following a call back on my blackberry, the "non PLM" version should be "available in the future for non K-AF4 compatible bodies", but no deadline given.
+ the K-AF4 up-grade demand for K-3 will be forwarded again to Japan.
10-17-2016, 07:00 AM   #563
Pentaxian

I think not everybody has the means to buy both the new lens and the new K-70,K-S2 or K-3II.
Happy you if you did.

Furthermore, one of our members has been shipped the new lens, whereas he ordered the old one.
I was told the old lens wasn't anymore available in Australia.

An other member was told in the UK the old 55-300 was such a good selling lens, that it would be kept in Pentax's catalogue.

Those 3 points are not science fiction, are they ?

So, in short it seems again, that RI/their distributors are messing things up for some of their customers.
They messed things up for one customer..... and yes the sky is falling.

10-17-2016, 07:11 AM   #564
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
DPReview attempted to do a sample gallery for this lens, and things didn't work out very well (the gallery is broken). Go figure.
10-17-2016, 07:12 AM   #565
Loyal Site Supporter

In short, following a call back on my blackberry, the "non PLM" version should be "available in the future for non K-AF4 compatible bodies", but no deadline given.
Excellent news. So - for now - the screw-drive lens remains part of the official line-up (which is what the rep said to me at the show). It's understandable that Ricoh didn't give a cut-off date... As I said previously, I suspect it will continue to be produced until demand falls below a particular level.

I'm glad that the K-3 KAF4 upgrade "request" will be forwarded to Japan, and I certainly wouldn't object to making my K-3 compatible. But I think Ricoh would already have provided an upgrade if it were straightforward to do so. We'll see...
10-17-2016, 07:12 AM   #566
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WillWeaverRVA Quote
DPReview attempted to do a sample gallery for this lens, and things didn't work out very well (the gallery is broken). Go figure.
It's loading fine now.
10-17-2016, 07:21 AM   #567
Site Supporter

Watch them release the K3 upgrade two weeks after I send this PLM version back for a refund.
10-17-2016, 07:27 AM   #568
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MBT74 Quote
Watch them release the K3 upgrade two weeks after I send this PLM version back for a refund.
Then, thank normhead for that, if in RI's Gods you trust .
10-17-2016, 07:28 AM   #569
Pentaxian

I don't even think the K-3 upgrade is physically possible, and no one has presented a a shred of physical evidence that it is, so I'm just sitting here watching with big smile on my face.
10-17-2016, 07:31 AM   #570
Site Supporter

I was told this ROM issue, did very likely sound exotic...