Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-26-2016, 06:20 AM   #631
Pentaxian
D1N0's Avatar

Join Date: May 2012
Location: ---
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,349
Yeah and the K-3 (II) and K-s1/2, K-70 have Prime III/MII socionext M7M. Don't know about the K-1 is still suspect it is an M7M maybe clocked faster and a die shrink and not an M8M. M8M will probably be in the K-3 II successor.

12-01-2016, 07:47 AM - 1 Like   #632
JPT
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Tokyo
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,252
Original Poster
I just noticed that the 55-300 PLM has jumped up the sales rankings in Japan from around 60th to 20th since last week. That is really a high position for a Pentax lens, and shows the wisdom of updating older cameras. Of course Ricoh is not doing this just to be nice to us; they do it to expand the market for the lenses.
12-01-2016, 08:13 AM - 1 Like   #633
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Rochester, NY
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,187
QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
Of course Ricoh is not doing this just to be nice to us; they do it to expand the market for the lenses.
Which, of course, is very nice for us.
12-01-2016, 08:36 AM   #634
Pentaxian
normhead's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Near Algonquin Park
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 25,856
QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
I just noticed that the 55-300 PLM has jumped up the sales rankings in Japan from around 60th to 20th since last week. That is really a high position for a Pentax lens, and shows the wisdom of updating older cameras. Of course Ricoh is not doing this just to be nice to us; they do it to expand the market for the lenses.
Interesting how this is hardly reflected at all in forum discussion, or images displayed. Maybe it's jut a Japanese thing.

12-01-2016, 08:51 AM   #635
Senior Member




Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Warsaw
Posts: 299
They will see nice growth in lens area when DA35/50 gets PLM drive update
12-01-2016, 09:47 AM   #636
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Rochester, NY
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,187
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Interesting how this is hardly reflected at all in forum discussion, or images displayed. Maybe it's jut a Japanese thing.
All sitting wrapped to be opened at Christmas.
12-01-2016, 11:07 AM   #637
Pentaxian




Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1,344
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Interesting how this is hardly reflected at all in forum discussion, or images displayed. Maybe it's jut a Japanese thing.
I just added that lens to my K-1 light travel kit together with the DFA28-105 they make a perfect light, small, silent, WR pair with great image quality to provide 28-300mm at 700 EUR total (incl. the German 19% taxes). I see it as a kind of superzoom.

There is nothing to not love.
12-01-2016, 11:17 AM   #638
New Member




Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 22
There was a video, maybe on YouTube shows the new 55 300 is quieter and faster than the older hd version and now works on k3 and k50 with firmware update

12-01-2016, 11:21 AM   #639
Pentaxian




Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1,344
Yes, it is the most quiet lens drive I have heard so far. And this PLM is real quick. A lot faster than a Canon STM which serves the same purpose.

To be fair: This type of drive only works for very light focussing groups.
12-01-2016, 01:29 PM   #640
Pentaxian




Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: South Bend, IN, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,983
QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
Yes, it is the most quiet lens drive I have heard so far. And this PLM is real quick. A lot faster than a Canon STM which serves the same purpose.

To be fair: This type of drive only works for very light focusing groups.
I would expect a 55-300mm to have some of the heaviest focusing elements of all lenses made by Pentax.
12-01-2016, 01:39 PM   #641
Pentaxian
normhead's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Near Algonquin Park
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 25,856
QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
I just added that lens to my K-1 light travel kit together with the DFA28-105 they make a perfect light, small, silent, WR pair with great image quality to provide 28-300mm at 700 EUR total (incl. the German 19% taxes). I see it as a kind of superzoom.

There is nothing to not love.
Accept the 55-300 isn't full frame.
12-01-2016, 02:10 PM   #642
Pentaxian




Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Romania
Posts: 9,336
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I would expect a 55-300mm to have some of the heaviest focusing elements of all lenses made by Pentax.
I wouldn't. Just look at the lens, compare it with the 70-200 and 150-450...
12-01-2016, 02:28 PM   #643
Pentaxian




Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1,344
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Accept the 55-300 isn't full frame.
Yes and that is a total non issue. It covers 25 MPx. For low requirement travel tele shots more than enough.
Nobody will be able to tell from any images, that it doesnt cover FF.
12-01-2016, 04:16 PM   #644
Pentaxian




Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: South Bend, IN, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,983
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I would expect a 55-300mm to have some of the heaviest focusing elements of all lenses made by Pentax.
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
I wouldn't. Just look at the lens, compare it with the 70-200 and 150-450...
I carefully said "some"; if PLM works out better than DC, they could easily produce a reasonable proportion of their lenses using that technology. If the new 55-300 lens does turn out to focus faster than the older one does, then this could be a big improvement. I'm willing to believe, based on what Canon and Nikon have done, that some variant of KAF4 with motor-in-lens may improve performance, and I'm glad that they are trying this {and if anything doesn't work out right, hopefully they'll be fair to those who were their guinea pigs}.
12-01-2016, 04:51 PM   #645
Pentaxian




Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Romania
Posts: 9,336
You said "some of the heaviest focusing elements of all lenses made by Pentax".

Ricoh Imaging says that the 55-300 RE PLM has rear focus system, with a lighter element than the previous version.
The new 55-300 AF is definitely faster than the older version. That's also documented by Ricoh Imaging.

This being said, I hope that PLM proves reliable, and usable in many of their future lenses. It's faster than DC, and if it can be put into the 55-300 RE PLM, it shouldn't be expensive.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
aperture, bodies, body, cameras, capability, change, day, device, firmware, flagship, hardware, hd pentax-da, ii, k-3, k-mount, k100d, kaf3, lens, lenses, mirrorless, pentax, pentax news, pentax rumors, people, plm wr, portfolio, ricoh, sense, sigma lenses
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
HD PENTAX-DA 18-50mm F4-5.6 DC WR RE D1N0 Pentax News and Rumors 167 04-09-2015 10:03 PM
Pentax HD 55-300mm f4-5.8 ED WR lens: recognizing issue in Lightroom 5.6 lavie Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 2 09-10-2014 05:24 AM
For Sale - Sold: HD PENTAX-DA 1:4-5.8 55-300mm ED WR 55-300 (price reduced) transam879 Sold Items 6 07-15-2014 06:05 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:30 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top