Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-08-2016, 10:41 AM   #91
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Can we expect from KAF4 for faster af speed and smoother aperture controlling like Canon and Nikon achieved? I wish Pentax to make more FA limited style DFA limited lenses for their brand. Small lenses are still great tho.

06-08-2016, 10:53 AM   #92
ogl
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
Wide open :.
With AF?
I don't use zooms...But I'm afraid 6 new FF lenses and 4 APS-C lenses will be KAF4 too...I want to buy new lenses - it means I should buy new camera.
06-08-2016, 10:53 AM   #93

I think this us excellent news. One of the reasons Sigma (I think) gave for not producing some lenses in PK mount was the mechanical aperture. Now we can get access to the other lenses...providing you have the new body.
06-08-2016, 10:55 AM   #94
ogl
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rlatjsrud Quote
Can we expect from KAF4 for faster af speed and smoother aperture controlling like Canon and Nikon achieved?
It seems YES...

06-08-2016, 11:12 AM   #95
csa
Loyal Site Supporter

Guess I'm confused; the K3 is not compatible, but K3II, and the KS2-S1 are; why is this?
06-08-2016, 11:20 AM - 1 Like   #96
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PiDicus Rex Quote
If the new aperture system works the same way as Canons, fitting the lens on to a body that doesn't have the new system, or on to an adapter that doesn't pass through the control data, will leave the Iris wide open at all times.

As a Cinematographer, a lens with no Iris ring is a pain in the ar$# when used on other cameras - such as fitting a K-mount lens to a M4/3's camera like the BMD Pocket Cine cam. Or for a Stills Photographer, fitting these new lenses to a Film era Pentax.
I use a DA compatible lens adapter that gives me continuously variable aperture - if I needed this to be calibrated I would mark an adapter per lens (about $15) to give me aperture results that could be replicated. The aperture is stepless which is nice also. This works due to the mechanical interface.

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
Guess I'm confused; the K3 is not compatible, but K3II, and the KS2-S1 are; why is this?
Simply this - it isn't. Either that means that they planned ahead for this or they don't want to go that far back.
06-08-2016, 11:26 AM   #97
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
Because someone drew a line in the sand? It's a firmware update, and you have to decide how many firmwares you're willing to update... Personally, I do think it would have made sense to include the K-3 since it was a flagship model.
06-08-2016, 11:28 AM   #98
csa
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Doundounba Quote
Personally, I do think it would have made sense to include the K-3.
I agree; as I have no plans to get a new Pentax body, as I've had the K3 for less than a year!!

06-08-2016, 11:30 AM   #99
Loyal Site Supporter

Because someone drew a line in the sand? It's a firmware update, and you have to decide how many firmwares you're willing to update... Personally, I do think it would have made sense to include the K-3 since it was a flagship model.
It is possible there is hardware inside these other cameras related to the new feature but not enabled until the firmware is applied. The K10d for example shipped with the new SDM hardware connection but not firmware to use it. If the new hardware is inside the body and not directly seen perhaps it is similar in that respect? Hard to know since Pentax hasn't chimed in yet.

---------- Post added 06-08-16 at 02:33 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
You might need a specific hardware in the body to control and command the electromagnetic aperture actuator.

Older Nikon cameras can't work with the so-called 'E' lenses whereas the pins in the F mount haven't changed.
Yes - I agree. It wasn't clear at first but I think that makes sense.
06-08-2016, 11:40 AM   #100
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I think The K-3 doesn't differ from the k-3 II much, it's probably compatible. This is still pre release info. we'll have to wait and see. The k-7 got a firmware update for the rear converter when it was already 5 years old. If you can update do update it.
06-08-2016, 11:51 AM   #101
Pentaxian

But it's not sure, the decision to support an electronic aperture control was probably taken before the K3II conception and we cannot be sure that it was a requirement for the K-3.
My guess is however that the K3 is not supported anymore for new lenses as the K5II did not received the firmware update after the 150-450 release.
06-08-2016, 12:17 PM   #102
Loyal Site Supporter

What hardware would be required to send signals to stop down the aperture? The electronics are already calculating aperture for shutter priority, the aperture mechanism is in the lens, you just have to be able to send the aperture signal to the lens which should be a software adjustment. Unless there is an extra data pin on supported cameras that isn't on the K3, I'm not sure what would stop a firmware update to enable the feature other than Ricoh saying "this is where we want to draw the line."
06-08-2016, 12:27 PM   #103

Just guessing but it can be a frequency divider of some sorts and some chip to hold down firmware of the encoder for it on motherbord of camera. Just to start of "the easy" ideas what can be used to handle it...
06-08-2016, 12:31 PM   #104
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Setter Dog Quote
I have the 55-300WR and love it,...sure there are minor focusing problems, but not often. What I'd like to see is something with zoom that's wider at the short end, 18-250 for example.
I got the 18-135 solely because I wanted a lens with the DC motor; otherwise I would have stuck with the 18-55 that was kitted with my K-30.
Back when I was using a Canon Rebel, I got a Tamron 18-270, because it sounded like a useful walk-around lens, but within a few months I was back to using my 18-55 and 70-300. I discovered that in most cases I knew whether I needed something beyond 55mm before I ever took my camera out of the bag, the longer zoom gives poorer quality, and I got tired of carrying that extra length around with me. "Super zoom" {in this case 5X or greater} just isn't worth the effort in many cases.
06-08-2016, 12:35 PM   #105
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Personally, I do think it would have made sense to include the K-3 since it was a flagship model.
I agree. Dropping K-3 support (if true) is silly, particularly if K-3 II is supported. Their mount internals seem identical.

I'm not liking this KAF4.