Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-08-2016, 05:28 PM   #121
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
Or to lock the collapsed barrel.
That's what I meant. Sorry.
The potential for zoom creep seems strong in this lens, so it probably needs something to lock the lens when collapsed.

But since this lens is said to be video-friendly, maybe the button actually shows the return of Power Zoom to Pentax lenses.

06-08-2016, 05:46 PM   #122
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by eyrr Quote
Me too. I had the 55-300mm WR in mind as my next lens. The new one sounds good but the K50 isn't currently listed for the firmware update. I guess the good news for me is that the current version might become very affordable new or used in the next few months.
QuoteOriginally posted by Vylen Quote
The lack of a mention of the K-3 in the press release is a bit disappointing. Sounds like they're not really going to support it anymore, and I'm not giving up my Silver Edition K-3 just to get a K-3II for lens support. *grumbles*
Of course, my K-30 isn't mentioned either, but apart from reduced noise during AF, what reason would I have for getting this lens to replace the HD Pentax-DA 55-300mm f4-5.8 ED WR that I already have?

This lens is clearly looking towards the future, a future where some of the things people here like to complain about will no longer be true.
06-08-2016, 05:47 PM   #123
Imp
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
A mystery button appears:
No Mystery at all
Just like the 18-50 RE, you hold it down while moving the zoom ring from collapsed to the 55mm ready to shoot mark. Its for the collapsing mechanism

@reh321, I have an HD 55-300 on my K-30 as well. Absolutely no reason for me to replace it. I couldn't afford to loose the half stop of light
That does NOT mean that this lens does not have a purpose and will be very useful for many people.
06-08-2016, 06:05 PM   #124
mee
Veteran Member

I doubt this is going to be all their lenses. Probably more so a select few for the silent mode AF video..

Our cameras (not on the list) are not forwards compatible but all camera bodies are still backwards compatible. We can still and will remain able to use 99% of K mount lenses. Stress less!

06-08-2016, 06:06 PM   #125
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Of course, my K-30 isn't mentioned either, but apart from reduced noise during AF, what reason would I have for getting this lens to replace the HD Pentax-DA 55-300mm f4-5.8 ED WR that I already have?
Probably faster AF too? And the HD is a hell of a loud lens. Can actually have real life implications and drive away shy wildlife.
06-08-2016, 06:07 PM   #126
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
Probably faster AF too? And the HD is a hell of a loud lens. Can actually have real life implications and drive away shy wildlife.
Agreed. I've had deer run off at the sound.. bzzt bzzt bzzt
06-08-2016, 06:28 PM - 1 Like   #127
Pentaxian

... the HD is a hell of a loud lens. Can actually have real life implications and drive away shy wildlife.
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Agreed. I've had deer run off at the sound.. bzzt bzzt bzzt
Don't get me wrong. I was a Pentax user in 1995 when I decided to go AF. I switched to Canon because I liked their USM system better than what Pentax was doing. When I did come back to Pentax last summer, because of bad experiences I'd had with Canon bodies, my first new purchase was an 18-135 lens to replace the 18-55 lens kitted with my K-30, because I'd rather have a DC lens than a screw-drive lens as my regular lens.

However, Pentax had to make decisions when moving to this new technology, and apparently "grandfathering" in our old cameras would have hobbled their new system, so they decided not to do it. Now we get to decide how to respond. My wife asked me if I wanted to buy this new K-70 to replace my year-old K-30, and my answer was "not yet". If this lens is the start of a new series, then this could be much bigger news than the K-70, foreshadowing some very good products at the cost of locking us out of them until / unless we are willing to upgrade our camera bodies.

06-08-2016, 06:37 PM   #128
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I have the original non-WR version. But that's not the point, the fact they don't include the K-3 makes me wary of any new lenses they introduce that require a firmware update. Especially if they introduce more lenses with the new aperture mechanism.
06-08-2016, 06:49 PM - 2 Likes   #129
Veteran Member

Pentax said you can use old lenses on New bodies but not necessarly new lenses on old bodies. Nothing have change.
06-08-2016, 07:08 PM   #130
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Exactly. I would use a 55-300mm for wildlife, small birds etc. Quicker, quieter more reliable auto-focus is obviously appealing.
06-08-2016, 07:13 PM - 1 Like   #131
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eyrr Quote
Exactly. I would use a 55-300mm for wildlife, small birds etc. Quicker, quieter more reliable auto-focus is obviously appealing.
You can, just slip into a shiny new 2016 K-70
06-08-2016, 07:18 PM   #132

I will be very disappointed, if K-3 won't receive new firmware to support KAF4 as K-3 II. Actually, K-3 is the same as K-3 II except for RRS and built-in O-GPS, and as a flagship which many Pentax users have, K-3 should by no means be left out. Firmware should never be used as a barrier between old flagship and new flagship. Modern and advanced hardware makes a flagship flagship.
I'm waiting for further information, really hope K-3 will get a new firmware.
06-08-2016, 07:29 PM   #133
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
You can, just slip into a shiny new 2016 K-70
Tasty tasty bait...but I only just slipped into a shiny new (to me anyway) K-50, so I've got plenty to keep me amused ... for a while anyway..
06-08-2016, 07:33 PM - 1 Like   #134
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bobmaxja Quote
Pentax said you can use old lenses on New bodies but not necessarly new lenses on old bodies. Nothing have change.
Exactly. Everyone (well many people) complain about this and that, but then Ricoh makes a move and everyone (well some) complain.

What have been the biggest complaints on this forum?
1) Poor video support
2) Poor third party support
3) Slow AF

So Ricoh makes steps to fix all of those complaints. I suspect this is only the beginning. But if you want progress you must accept change.

I'm not understanding the griping about this lens though. It's not like it is anything unique, if you have an older camera and need a 55-300 there are three versions already out there that will work just fine.

I suspect (had there been an internet) that these same complaints were raised when the shift from M42 to k-mount was made.
06-08-2016, 07:37 PM   #135
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bobmaxja Quote
Pentax said you can use old lenses on New bodies but not necessarily new lenses on old bodies. Nothing have change.
I need to bookmark this discussion for the next time someone says that lenses are forever. An individual lens may be useable forever, but finding someone willing to use it on a regular basis may be difficult. as technology gives us better and better versions. For example, on several occasions I have purchased an Adaptall lens that I enjoy "playing with" from someone who had once viewed the lens as a workhorse.

---------- Post added 06-08-16 at 10:39 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Easeman Quote
I will be very disappointed, if K-3 won't receive new firmware to support KAF4 as K-3 II. Actually, K-3 is the same as K-3 II except for RRS and built-in O-GPS, and as a flagship which many Pentax users have, K-3 should by no means be left out. Firmware should never be used as a barrier between old flagship and new flagship. Modern and advanced hardware makes a flagship flagship.
I'm waiting for further information, really hope K-3 will get a new firmware.
Your K-3 hasn't lost any capability; it simply hasn't gained any capability.