Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 143 Likes Search this Thread
06-09-2016, 07:32 AM   #181
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
All of this may be a foolish worry over nothing.
+1 Thread closer.

06-09-2016, 07:37 AM   #182

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
You'll notice that they don't claim K or M42 compatibility for any of those cameras, so they don't seem to be quite as wed to up-and-down the line compatibility as some of us are.
I was just curious why some of them have powerzoom compatibility and others don't have. And whatever powerzoom compatibility, they can become KAF4. It seems that I still don't understand the K-mount. I need to learn more.
06-09-2016, 07:38 AM - 1 Like   #183
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Firmware requires hardware to operate, that is a basic truth. If the hardware needed is not present then the firmware cannot work, simple. Please don't leap to conclusions, of course no one outside of Ricoh knows the truth here.
But new functionality does NOT always require new hardware. (And things done in hardware can even sometimes be emulated in software.) So please, stating that because this is new functionality then it must require new hardware is just unsupported nonsense. There's just no way to know.
06-09-2016, 07:42 AM - 1 Like   #184
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Doundounba Quote
So please, stating that because this is new functionality then it must require new hardware is just unsupported nonsense. There's just no way to know.
@Doundounba, that is not what I said or meant. Please read my post instead of jumping to conclusions. My original post said that, my second comment said that and now I'm saying it again. Firmware requires hardware to work, IF, the hardware is not present it cannot work. There, I highlighted the operative word for you. So if you want continue to be a jerk about this go ahead, I'm done.

06-09-2016, 08:11 AM   #185
Pentaxian

Firmware requires hardware to work, if, the hardware is not present it cannot work. There, I highlighted the operative word for you. So if you want continue to be a jerk about this go ahead, I'm done.
I'm sorry but things just aren't that simple, and there's no need to resort to personal insult, as you have just done. (I have also removed the shouting from your quote.) The line between software and hardware is often movable. You can often emulate hardware in (lower level) software so that higher level software has no clue it's not talking directly to a piece of hardware, but to a lower software layer. Of course, this isn't always the case, and you do eventually hit the metal. In our case, it would be nice for Ricoh to release a technical paper on KAF4, so we can see how the mount works and how it has changed from KAF3...
06-09-2016, 08:18 AM   #186
Veteran Member

Of course I do! I was not referring to this camera, but to firmware in general. Firmware requires hardware to operate, that is a basic truth. If the hardware needed is not present then the firmware cannot work, simple. Please don't leap to conclusions, of course no one outside of Ricoh knows the truth here.
If it's a hardware limitation in the K-3 then it must be quite arcane. Considering the K-3 II can send the necessary digital signal to the lens to control its aperture (once the firmware is updated), one would reasonably think the K-3 could do the same since they use the same processor and have the same contacts. Besides the processor and the contacts, what other piece of hardware is there in the digital signal generation?
06-09-2016, 08:20 AM   #187
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I hope there are enough users here that we can petition them and have Adam or Kenspro send it along asking that the K3 at least be included in an update for KAF4, and possibly the K5 series too.

06-09-2016, 08:29 AM   #188
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
Besides the processor and the contacts, what other piece of hardware is there in the digital signal generation?
I'm just speculating here, but it could be that there are pins where the camera hardware was only reading voltage and now needs to set voltage, in order to communicate to the lens what is the chosen shooting aperture...
06-09-2016, 08:38 AM   #189
Imp
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
Kenspro
Kenspo
06-09-2016, 08:41 AM - 1 Like   #190
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Imp Quote
Kenspo
My fingers keep typing when my brain shuts off. I'd still like to get oen to take a request to include the K3 (it isn't like it is an obsolete one) and possibly the K5 and K50 series with an update.
06-09-2016, 08:44 AM   #191
Pentaxian

This has been a fascinating thread to me.

Usually when I get into a discussion about AF, I'm advocating for good in-lens motors and everyone else is singing the praises of screw-drive

Usually I hear more good things about the K-3 than about the K-3ii; now it turns out that the K-3ii has some good points afterall.
06-09-2016, 08:49 AM - 1 Like   #192
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Doundounba Quote
I'm just speculating here, but it could be that there are pins where the camera hardware was only reading voltage and now needs to set voltage, in order to communicate to the lens what is the chosen shooting aperture...
I'm not an electronics engineer so will admit up front that I'm out of my league with these things. What I think I know is there's only one "pin" and that's the body to lens data pin. Signals must be multiplexed from the processor but that's still a single output point. If there's a reason why a K-3 II can properly multiplex the focusing with aperture signal but a K-3 can't, despite us thinking it's the same processor, it's not an obvious reason.
06-09-2016, 09:01 AM   #193
Veteran Member

this is the first time I considered a lens like this because of the new autofocus...but no K3

Randy
06-09-2016, 09:05 AM   #194

Photos: Gallery
It is very sad to see that the direction of Ricoh to continue with one of the characteristics but strong Pentax came to an end, compatibility with previous organizations.

I would be happy to see updates to K5 forward
06-09-2016, 09:16 AM   #195
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
If there's a reason why a K-3 II can properly multiplex the focusing with aperture signal but a K-3 can't, despite us thinking it's the same processor, it's not an obvious reason.
I'm out of my league as well here, (and trying to educate myself between posts)... But AF gets its own pins, no? (The "SDM contacts", or do they just provide power?) I'm thinking this PF article will suddenly get a lot of hits.