Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 143 Likes Search this Thread
06-09-2016, 09:33 AM - 1 Like   #196
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Its not really the camera mount hardware missing, but some signal encode/decode parts/devices on pcb board of camera for example: signal dividers/ amplifiers, and some ROM chip to operate that stuff. And the firmware must be uploaded to that specific ROM chip, quite like BIOS chip update-it does not only updates the BIOS chip, can also update mi-com(chip used in notebooks to operate pointing devices with multi gesture), or other chips located on main board, if there is no specific chip in K-3- there is no-go for that.

06-09-2016, 09:56 AM   #197
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Regardless of all the hardware/software speculation, what is clear to me is that I would like to expect that a flagship digital camera body should be forward compatible with new lenses for about four years. Digital bodies do get obsolete, so more than that is probably unreasonable. But given that the K-3 is only 2.5 years old, if the K-3 is not to be supported for the use of KAF4 lenses (for whatever reason), I think some kind of body update rebate program would really be appreciated, at least as a good will gesture...
06-09-2016, 10:09 AM   #198

Already have a reasonable amount of new lenses zoom D-FA compatible with our cameras, I am concerned about new fixed lens, D-FA not compatible
this would be a problem.

Sera that Pentax could make an update on its repair services for those who want to continue with their old cameras.
06-09-2016, 10:10 AM - 2 Likes   #199
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Doundounba Quote
I'm out of my league as well here, (and trying to educate myself between posts)... But AF gets its own pins, no? (The "SDM contacts", or do they just provide power?) I'm thinking this PF article will suddenly get a lot of hits.
I am a retired software developer. During my career, I did develop some embedded software; I also taught myself enough digital hardware that I could teach the basics to computer majors at the college level.

Frankly, I don't find that PF article to be very helpful in this discussion. Of the seven pins, six appear to be input-only, from the lens to the body; the seventh pin is used to provide {multiplexed} communication from the body to the lens. Off the top of my head, I can think of two issues that might allow the K-3ii to be upgrded to use the new lens(es), but might not allow the K-3 to be upgraded.

(1) the software might need to change the clock rate for the multiplexor, and the K-3's multiplexor may not be capable of doing that

(2) the K-3 may not have enough memory for the additional software

06-09-2016, 10:11 AM   #200
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Doundounba Quote
Regardless of all the hardware/software speculation, what is clear to me is that I would like to expect that a flagship digital camera body should be forward compatible with new lenses for about four years. Digital bodies do get obsolete, so more than that is probably unreasonable. But given that the K-3 is only 2.5 years old, if the K-3 is not to be supported for the use of KAF4 lenses (for whatever reason), I think some kind of body update rebate program would really be appreciated, at least as a good will gesture...
I had my Spotmatic F for less than 2 years when Pentax changed to the K mount. To expect any camera to always be able to take any future product is more wishful thinking then realistic IMHO. And as far as me personally, I have a K5IIs and my wife a K5 and neither of us have intensions of upgrading anytime in the future hence we are also SOL on this new lens and the future ones with the same aperture control. It is likely that not all future Pentax lenses will have this limitation based on the new FF lenses released.
06-09-2016, 10:14 AM   #201
Pentaxian

K-3 was allready developed and set for production at october of 2013, its R&D process took around at least 1year before that, maybe even more like 2 years if you consider it had to be field tested as production unit before official showup. At that time no one at Ricoh would consider making KAF4 lenses with PTM, which in my opinion is quite simmilar in build to recent Canon SDM drive(2015), and not so old PiezoDrive from Tamron(introduced around 2013/14 as I remember).
06-09-2016, 10:17 AM   #202
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by redrockcoulee Quote
I had my Spotmatic F for less than 2 years when Pentax changed to the K mount.
Note that I'm not talking about how long I've had my camera, but rather how long has it been since the model has been released. My claim is that four years of forward compatibility from release date for flagship digital bodies is a reasonable expectation.

06-09-2016, 10:28 AM - 2 Likes   #203
Veteran Member

You cannot use THIS lens on a K-3, you have to deal with only 45 lenses currently in production with only 2 of them being 55-300mm zooms. Pentax is doomed.
06-09-2016, 10:31 AM - 1 Like   #204
Pentaxian

Well, in normal circumstances. But the K-3 was announced a mere 2 years after Ricoh took over. Disrupting events might impede on long-term planning; and indeed if a decision was made (with the corresponding hardware change) between the K-3 and K-3 II, perhaps it was made a few years later than it should.

Nikon managed better - their most recent camera which doesn't support their E-series lenses is the D3000, a 2009 model. Their first E lenses were announced in 2015.

Pentax, if what we read is final, will have DSLR made in 2013 or older not supporting the M.Y. 2016 lens. That's about 5 years worse than Nikon... except that with this new 55-300 RE it doesn't really matters, because of the older versions. Unlike Nikon, who is basically replacing their best lenses with E versions.
If it really affects the K-3 users, it remains to be seen - perhaps when they'll launch those new primes.

P.S. On one site, Nikon's reason for not supporting the E lenses is: "As the electromagnetic aperture requires additional power from the camera, not all cameras are compatible with type E lenses."

Last edited by Kunzite; 06-09-2016 at 10:40 AM.
06-09-2016, 10:31 AM   #205
Pentaxian

Maybe it will work on a Sony, now that it is an all electronic lens Metabones where are you?
06-09-2016, 10:32 AM   #206
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Easeman Quote
I will be very disappointed, if K-3 won't receive new firmware to support KAF4 as K-3 II. Actually, K-3 is the same as K-3 II except for RRS and built-in O-GPS, and as a flagship which many Pentax users have, K-3 should by no means be left out. Firmware should never be used as a barrier between old flagship and new flagship. Modern and advanced hardware makes a flagship flagship.
I'm waiting for further information, really hope K-3 will get a new firmware.
+1000
Setting K-3 appart of these FW upgrade would just be inconsistent.
Ricoh would loose it's credibility as K-3II was announced as an extension of K-3 product line, NOT as a replacement.
06-09-2016, 10:32 AM - 1 Like   #207
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Glorfindelrb Quote
You cannot use THIS lens on a K-3, you have to deal with only 45 lenses currently in production with only 2 of them being 55-300mm zooms. Pentax is doomed.
I did a spit take on this post.
06-09-2016, 10:34 AM   #208
Pentaxian

Ricoh has to figure out if they want to sell the K-3 remaining stock, or not.
06-09-2016, 10:34 AM   #209
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Glorfindelrb Quote
I agree, who cares about quieter and much faster autofocus. Just go out and buy a new camera too and stop complaining everyone.
06-09-2016, 10:35 AM   #210
Pentaxian

Stupid statement
Rather put 3 lines of code in correspondance with a lot of K-3 bodies and quite a brunch of new lenses sales...