Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-09-2016, 10:36 AM   #211
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Doundounba Quote
Note that I'm not talking about how long I've had my camera, but rather how long has it been since the model has been released. My claim is that four years of forward compatibility from release date for flagship digital bodies is a reasonable expectation.
The Spotmatic F was released in 1973 and the K mount in 1975. That is less than 4 years. I bought our F in 1974. The F and the ESII were the flagships of that day.

06-09-2016, 10:42 AM   #212
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
No. I'm not. I'm thinking that future bodies will drop the lever at the low end. But I'm also thinking that this complicates Samyangs future line up for Pentax. Which mount do they work on? Which AF system? Is it worth messing with Pentax further etc. All of this may be a foolish worry over nothing.
Please consider that, even though most lenses in the current line-up have a focusing motor, all cameras still have a focusing motor and screw-drive coupler (contrary to what Nikon do, for instance: no focusing motor in Dxxx and D5xxx series, the entry-level and mid-range cameras).

So don't worry too much, the in-body aperture lever will be there for a long time.
06-09-2016, 10:45 AM   #213
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
Ricoh has to figure out if they want to sell the K-3 remaining stock, or not.
At B&H, the K-3 is currently priced barely above the K-70.
In the past, I've had discussions here with lots of people who still think the screw-drive works better than any in-lens motor.
There may be lots of people who want a camera of that quality at that price-point, or sales may drag on-and-on as they have for the K-01.
06-09-2016, 10:51 AM   #214
Veteran Member

Just to clear; is aperture control not possible if this lens is mounted on a K-3 or older body?

06-09-2016, 10:51 AM   #215
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
(...)

Nikon managed better - their most recent camera which doesn't support their E-series lenses is the D3000, a 2009 model. Their first E lenses were announced in 2015.

(...)
Much earlier than that since you forgot their tilt & shift lenses, which were the first E lenses. The PC-E Nikkor 24mm f/3.5D ED was announced in January 2008; in July of the same year came the PC-E Nikkor 45mm f/2.8D ED and the PC-E Micro-Nikkor 85mm f/2.8D.
06-09-2016, 11:26 AM   #216
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
What I think I know is there's only one "pin" and that's the body to lens data pin
There are actually 7 "lens information" contacts along in the outer ring of the mount, along with two square "power" contacts inside the outer ring. My K-30 has all 7 lens information contacts, but the third contact (counterclockwise, facing the front of the camera body) is flat, not raised. The DA 18-135 lens has all raised contacts (including the third one, but is missing the sixth contact (counterclockwise, facing the rear of the lens). The non-RE DA 55-300 is missing the fourth contact as well as the sixth contact and the Tamron SP Di 90mm macro is also missing the fourth and sixth contacts.
QuoteOriginally posted by Doundounba Quote
I'm thinking this PF article will suddenly get a lot of hits.
QuoteQuote:
Data is not available from Pentax regarding this.
As far as I can tell from this article, while the seven information pins have been part of the KA mount spec for a long time, the actual function of those pins varies depending on the model of lens. I'm speculating, but since there are bodies with 7 information contacts since at least the K-5 and it is possible to change the function of those contacts, it should be possible to change the firmware of those older bodies to accommodate KAF-4 lenses. However, Pentax is under no obligation to provide firmware updates for discontinued bodies and in fact there hasn't been a firmware update for the K-30 for a couple of years (to give an example).
06-09-2016, 11:27 AM   #217
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Much earlier than that since you forgot their tilt & shift lenses, which were the first E lenses. The PC-E Nikkor 24mm f/3.5D ED was announced in January 2008; in July of the same year came the PC-E Nikkor 45mm f/2.8D ED and the PC-E Micro-Nikkor 85mm f/2.8D.
Lens compatibility of the D3000 and the K-3 shouldn't be compared. If you want to bring the D7xxx-series into the question, that would be relevant.

06-09-2016, 12:06 PM   #218
Veteran Member

I just love Pentax.... when Zeiss recently said they won't produce K mount FF lenses in near future,
and no commitment other 3rd party lens maker like Sigma...

Pentax response by saying screw them! we will make another DA 55-300 lens!

so awesome.
06-09-2016, 12:34 PM   #219
Veteran Member

So they release recently a 70-200 f/2.8, a 150-450, a 24-70 and a 15-30 for the high end, but if they release a basic lens then, that terrible?

The thing is a lens like the 55-300 sell easily 50 time more than a very expensive and specific 4000$ lens. Due to economy of scale Pentax may very make more money on that 55-300 than Zeiss is making on a very expensive prime model.
06-09-2016, 01:12 PM   #220
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Glorfindelrb Quote
You cannot use THIS lens on a K-3, you have to deal with only 45 lenses currently in production with only 2 of them being 55-300mm zooms. Pentax is doomed.
Will you be saying the same thing when the D FA primes are released and not compatible? Remember all the speculation a few months ago about some prototype/mock up lenses that didn't have aperture levers?
06-09-2016, 01:18 PM   #221
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Will you be saying the same thing when the D FA primes are released and not compatible? Remember all the speculation a few months ago about some prototype/mock up lenses that didn't have aperture levers?
I don't believe that will be the case, but it is of no use discussing it until they are released .
06-09-2016, 01:42 PM   #222
Imp
Pentaxian

It might appease people a bit if Ricoh either a) can do free/small charge hardware fixes to the camera or b) offer discount to trade in cameras for newer ones... If this is going to become a bigger deal in the future.
06-09-2016, 01:46 PM   #223
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
I stand corrected.
Then we can't say Nikon did better at this point. The 55-300 RE is quite similar with those PC-E lenses, in that a mechanical aperture linkage would be difficult to make.
Actually after these first PC-E lenses, Nikon made one camera unable to electronically control the aperture - the D3000.

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
I remember speculation about the K-1 not having an in-body AF motor. What of them?
06-09-2016, 02:32 PM   #224
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Imp Quote
It might appease people a bit if Ricoh either a) can do free/small charge hardware fixes to the camera or b) offer discount to trade in cameras for newer ones... If this is going to become a bigger deal in the future.
True but if they do that for K3 owners what about K5II owners and if K5II owners what about K5 owners ? We do not yet know how many lenses in the next couple of years will be with this new aperture system and if these lenses will be budget or top line lenses. All the more expensive FF lenses released so far are not missing this. It might be a feature for budget lenses only for all we know and if that was the case then it should be budget line cameras not the top of the line ones that need to have this ability. This new lens sounds like it might of been worth looking into but it will nor work on my cameras so I will of course pass on even thinking about it. If the lack of aperture appears on the new top of the line lenses then I may start considering that my camera body is limited with future lenses. If the lack of aperture lever is only on budget lenses then I really do not have to be concerned.
06-09-2016, 09:22 PM   #225
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Imp Quote
We don't know yet that. For now with a single lens with an exact equivalent still available if you don't do video, there really no point to do anything about it. And if you want the advanced video features you need the K70, at this is the only camera with PDAF on the sensor. You may wait for the next flagship for more high end specs, through.

We can discuss the issue when other lenses are released. Will it be all lenses or only a few select video lenses at first ?

Also well if you plan to invest on theses new lenses and have a K3, yeah, you may have to updgrade.

Selling the old K3 to get the compatible K3-II so you can use theses new lenses should be a 300-400$ operation at worst today, and in 2 years should be a 100$ operation between 2 used models.

If you have a K5 or K5-II, I can't see how you could complain.