Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-14-2016, 03:56 PM   #301

Photos: Gallery
I agree with you, I think it is not necessary one FF FF mirrorless K-1 it's great that way. 645 in a smaller size would be great, maybe some next thing K-1, even with an assembly change would not be bad, I like to see a 80mm 1.9 or 2.0 would be perfect upgrade the already very good 75mm 2.8.

06-16-2016, 06:10 PM - 1 Like   #302
kwb
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
(2) the K-3 may not have enough memory for the additional software
You're probably right. A Japanese photographer Kimio Tanaka seems to have talked to Pentax about this:
https://twitter.com/thisistanaka/status/741150833027469312
(My translation: "No support for K-5 series and K-3 via firmware update, though K-3II will be good. Electromagnetic diaphragm won't work, so you cannot use the new DA55-300 zoom. Sounded like these cameras lack the memory capacity necessary to put the new firmware.")
https://twitter.com/thisistanaka/status/741150877277429760
(My translation: "They didn't sound as if K-3 support is totally impossible, but it would still be very difficult. K-5 series is hopeless. I suggested to remove some functionality to make room for the electromagnetic diaphragm support, but they said no right away. I understand that some cameras cannot support it, can't be helped. But I'm still sad.")
06-16-2016, 10:33 PM   #303
Pentaxian

Well, if this is confirmed, many will be sad.
06-17-2016, 12:52 AM   #304
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by kwb Quote
these cameras lack the memory capacity necessary to put the new firmware.
I think - it's lack of ROM memory of motherboard.

The situation looks like if new CPU which even has the same legs like old one and and even not different electrical specs, couldn't be put into old motherboard and new firmware can't help with it.

06-17-2016, 02:59 AM   #305

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
Well, if this is confirmed, many will be sad.
If confirmed and if Sigma should decide to offer their lenses in K-mount only with KAF-4 for simplicity (as suggested on dpreview) I will not only be sad but extremely frustrated as my budget currently won't allow me to buy one of the much desired Sigma 150-600 lenses plus a new cam.
Come on Ricoh! Create a new firmware for the K-3 if ever possible!
06-17-2016, 07:39 AM   #306
Pentaxian

It sounds like a logical reason rather than trying to force us to update our cameras.
06-17-2016, 05:49 PM - 1 Like   #307
Pentaxian

Wow , I just bought my k-5II last February 2014. If all lenses will be KAF-4. it's now obsolete. This really sad. Actually this is one of the reasons why I chose Pentax, the longevity of the k-mount. I missed the part that the lens versions change and they can't be used on older cameras.

06-17-2016, 06:04 PM   #308
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
I missed the part that the lens versions change and they can't be used on older cameras.
Yes, it's an unfortunate development. Especially if 'older' means cameras that can still be bought new from many a camera store (eg B&H), like the K-3.
06-17-2016, 06:16 PM   #309
Pentaxian

If I've read this and haven't bought a k-3, a k-3 will definelty be off my list. I would even have doubts buying a ks-2 or a k-3II since personally I don't like upgrading my camera software so often.

However, if this is the answer to increase in AF speed that we are asking, then we have to bite the bullet. And I know it's painful to most of us who have older cameras.

I also agree that this will have an effect to third party manufacturers.

Last edited by totsmuyco; 06-17-2016 at 06:18 PM. Reason: Added to the message
06-18-2016, 12:03 AM   #310
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

However, if this is the answer to increase in AF speed that we are asking, then we have to bite the bullet. And I know it's painful to most of us who have older cameras.
I think it would be wise to wait for the tests. Pentax AF with screwdrive is fast enough - faster, in many cases, than non-screwdrive methods. The real benefit of non-screwdrive-focusing lenses thus far has been silent (or near-silent) AF. Even though Ricoh / Pentax is claiming faster, more precise AF with the new PLM lens on the KAF4 mount (and the 55-300 is a good candidate for this, as AF is not the fastest on the current model), I wonder will it really be so much faster as to make it a slam-dunk winner over screwdrive? Either way, unless there is a whole slew of optically far better lenses released on the KAF4 mount in record time, I just don't see it being a big factor in which camera to choose; the vast majority of available lenses will, for some years to come, be KAF3 compatible. I have a K-3II which will be firmware upgradeable to KAF4, but I still expect to use my K-5 and K-3 just as much as before... and I can't see me adding any KAF4 lenses unless they truly are revolutionary...
06-18-2016, 01:08 AM - 1 Like   #311
Veteran Member

Why the panic because Pentax has produced one lens that isn't compatible with earlier cameras? "I'm not going to buy a K-3 because this one lens won't work with it" is a bit shortsighted. Such things happen, even with Nikon, but it's not like Pentax is changing the mount, as Canon did in the 1980s (though it didn't do them any harm in the long term). Maybe electronic aperture control is the future, but it will take years until all lenses have this, if ever. Plenty of time to get a new camera. And all those current lenses aren't going to disappear overnight, and they will be cheaper on the second hand market.
06-18-2016, 01:10 AM   #312
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
If I've read this and haven't bought a k-3, a k-3 will definelty be off my list. I would even have doubts buying a ks-2 or a k-3II since personally I don't like upgrading my camera software so often.

I also agree that this will have an effect to third party manufacturers.
KAF4 mount is not about AF-speed, the new PLM motor shold be possible to use on KAF3 lenses too. (Or maybe also video optimized series of lenses, if they will start to put more priority on video). The KAF4 mount is more about video and support from 3rd party lens manufacturers, and it might also make manufacturing of lenses cheaper.

So I believe that KAF4 mount will only be used on kit-lenses designed for future cameras in the near future.
3rd party lenses may adopt to KAF4 quicker, but IMO it's better to get KAF4 lenses fom them, than no lenses at all.

Using KAF4 mount on low volume lenses will not make any sense for Pentax in many years, not until a large majorty of users has updated to cameras supporting these lenses.
06-18-2016, 04:33 AM   #313
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Cynog Ap Brychan Quote
Why the panic because Pentax has produced one lens that isn't compatible with earlier cameras? "I'm not going to buy a K-3 because this one lens won't work with it" is a bit shortsighted. Such things happen, even with Nikon, but it's not like Pentax is changing the mount, as Canon did in the 1980s (though it didn't do them any harm in the long term). Maybe electronic aperture control is the future, but it will take years until all lenses have this, if ever. Plenty of time to get a new camera. And all those current lenses aren't going to disappear overnight, and they will be cheaper on the second hand market.
It would be helpful if Ricoh came out and told people that electronic aperture control is the direction they are moving toward... or not. Frankly, I'm surprised they picked the 55-300 lens to start with. A true kit lens would seem to make more sense as they're only married to new bodies anyway. Hence, the issue of backward compatibility is essentially avoided.
06-18-2016, 04:41 AM   #314
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
It would be helpful if Ricoh came out and told people that electronic aperture control is the direction they are moving toward... or not.
I agree, but I'd be far more worried about a new camera body that wasn't compatible with older lenses, than new lenses that aren't compatible with older cameras.
06-18-2016, 04:50 AM   #315
Pentaxian

Well I have a k-3II but, I still want to use my k-5II for a long long time. Probably till it breaks. And I would like to have lenses to use in the future. It's difficult to part with a camera that performs well. Besides, it's too expensive to keep on upgrading cameras.