Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-20-2016, 06:00 AM   #346
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by asahi man Quote
It's the first with linear drive,optimized for live view AF and video.
New optic,new style,new amateur line for APS-C.
Not the last newbie for this year in APS-C.
Only the second APS-C camera could be to late for this year,maybe show only at Photokina.
But hey,most important for all is,Pentax is still in full action,without any pause.
Main target is fullframe,but the APS-C camera and lens roadmap is interesting and not a ping boring.
Till end of next year we get minimum of 6 or 7 new fullframe lenses and 4 APS-C lenses.
Best regards
Based on Asahi Man's post, we will still be expecting 3 more APS-C lenses. Based on this, new optic, new style and new amateur line probably means no more manual lever. I hope I'll be able to wear out my k-5II in the next 5 years.

06-20-2016, 07:18 AM   #347
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
Noisy AF do not only affect video.

I believe that the noisy AF has been one of the major reasons for Pentax struggling to find new users.
Compared to other brands, Pentax DSLR kits have seemed much less sophisticated, so many new user would not consider Pentax because the AF sound.
As I have commented many times here, I am a not-new user who reacted that way.
After 16 years using Pentax, I moved to Canon for their USM lenses, and came back to Pentax just recently despite the remaining screw-drive lenses.
06-20-2016, 10:57 AM   #348

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Why would you expect it to be worse than its predecessor {HD Pentax-DA 1:4-5.8 55-300mm ED WR} in any respect other than largest possible aperture opening?
Internal focus lenses tend to show focus breathing, like the 60-250 DA* from Pentax shon in the DS WR 55-300 review. Here you more or less loose the whole point of having a 300mm instead of a 200mm lens

using a retracting mechanism may imply comlicated design, which might affect Image sharpness. The 55-300 & 70-300 lenses often perform bad from 200-300, take for e.g. the 70-300 DG from Sigma. The Pentax HD WE has been an exception & this is the main reason why I like it. otherwise the sigma is currently less than 150$ and has 1:2 macro plus focusses faster too. I would have chosen it over Pentax, but it's not known for it's performance from 200-300mm.
06-21-2016, 08:49 PM   #349
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by asahi man Quote
It's the first with linear drive,optimized for live view AF and video.
New optic,new style,new amateur line for APS-C.
Not the last newbie for this year in APS-C.
Only the second APS-C camera could be to late for this year,maybe show only at Photokina.
But hey,most important for all is,Pentax is still in full action,without any pause.
Main target is fullframe,but the APS-C camera and lens roadmap is interesting and not a ping boring.
Till end of next year we get minimum of 6 or 7 new fullframe lenses and 4 APS-C lenses.
Best regards
NEXT year not the end of THIS year? That gives them a year and a half to release these 10-11 lenses..

06-22-2016, 02:28 AM   #350
Pentaxian

By moving to electronically controlled aperture, you remove any remaining mechanical design constraints on the lens design. As has been stated elsewhere on this thread, it becomes easier for 3rd party manufacturers to adapt their lenses to fit. It's also useful for Ricoh, as it may be easier to keep lenses compact and/or allow novel designs.

A Sigma rep recently told me that the aperture lever was a barrier (along side lack of predicted demand) to offering many new products in K mount. I hope the KAF4 mount will encourage them back to the market with products that complement the Ricoh line-up.

I would also expect any future Pentax D-FA releases to be KAF4, as the K-1 will be compatible with a firmware upgrade. What I would not expect is for any K mount DSLR camera to lose the mechanical aperture control. Ever.

The term "Pulse Linear Motor" seems slightly wrong if the diagrams from Ricoh Web Page are to be believed. I think "Pulse Linear Actuator" is more accurate; the motor is still rotary. There should be no worry of lens rattle – this is not the same as the truly linear “voice coil” actuators in some m4/3 lenses. There may be advantages of using the pulse (stepper) motor design for focusing when a specific position of actuation is desired. Eg the autofocus determines that position X is roughly correct and commands the motor quickly and precisely to that position, where final focus finessing can be measured and commanded. I’m not sure PLM will find universal application in new lenses.

I would say that overall these features indicate further proof of Ricoh/Pentax planning for the future, which has to be a positive thing.

:-)
06-22-2016, 02:32 AM   #351
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Is the focus ring on this lens still mechanical, or is it a focus-by-wire design? I've never been fond of the latter...
06-22-2016, 02:38 AM   #352
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Is the focus ring on this lens still mechanical, or is it a focus-by-wire design? I've never been fond of the latter...
It's focus-by-wire, as for the 18-50mm RE.

06-22-2016, 02:43 AM   #353
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
It's focus-by-wire, as for the 18-50mm RE.
Thanks for that... Not my cup of tea, though I'm sure the majority of the time it'll be used in AF mode anyway. I do hope focus-by-wire doesn't gradually become the new standard. It's not likely to impact me in the medium term as I'm pretty much set with lenses for a while, but it would be a shame if this is the way things are going...
06-22-2016, 02:46 AM   #354
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Thanks for that... Not my cup of tea, though I'm sure the majority of the time it'll be used in AF mode anyway. I do hope focus-by-wire doesn't gradually become the new standard. It's not likely to impact me in the medium term as I'm pretty much set with lenses for a while, but it would be a shame if this is the way things are going...
I'm afraid it's the way they will be. It's less costly, more suited to stepper motors which are a must-have for video and CDAF and makes weather resistance easier to design and implement.
06-22-2016, 03:07 AM   #355
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
I'm afraid it's the way they will be. It's less costly, more suited to stepper motors which are a must-have for video and CDAF and makes weather resistance easier to design and implement.
Oh well... for now, I can't see them coming out with any lenses I might really want, and certainly nothing I need - I don't really need most of the lenses I own, for that matter!

Last edited by BigMackCam; 06-22-2016 at 03:18 AM.
06-22-2016, 06:34 AM   #356
Veteran Member

The thread is quite long, so maybe someone already said this and I missed it, but here goes anyway:

Another potential advantage of removing the mechanical parts of the mount is making it easier to have a fully working Q adapter.

Granted they skipped focus support in the existing adapter, but that might be because most of their current lenses draw more current than the Q can provide. This lens should take very little power to focus, and that's probably the direction they are moving. So a cheap (to produce at least) full function adapter should be possible. Right?
06-22-2016, 11:47 AM - 1 Like   #357
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by anu l Quote
if this lens performs as good as it's predecessor then it's quite worth it. even with the loss of some light.
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Why would you expect it to be worse than its predecessor {HD Pentax-DA 1:4-5.8 55-300mm ED WR} in any respect other than largest possible aperture opening?
I don't think anyone expects it to be worse -- but since the optical design is changing, it is a possibility, which I think is all anu l was saying with that. We won't know until we see the samples.
06-24-2016, 12:30 PM - 1 Like   #358
Veteran Member

Well perhaps now Pentax will redesign the DA* 16-50 and the DA* 50-135 mm lenses with the PLM motor so they will be able to focus quicker, or maybe a hybrid DC/ PLM motor like the original lenses have SDM/ screw drive motors.
06-25-2016, 04:31 AM   #359
Pentaxian

I don't know if it's a fitting question but, will the PLM motor work only with the electronic aperture and not with the manual lever?
06-25-2016, 04:49 AM   #360
Pentaxian

The PLM motor is for focus, not aperture, that is a seperate module