Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-25-2016, 10:15 AM - 1 Like   #361
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Vantage-Point Quote
Well perhaps now Pentax will redesign the DA* 16-50 and the DA* 50-135 mm lenses with the PLM motor so they will be able to focus quicker, or maybe a hybrid DC/ PLM motor like the original lenses have SDM/ screw drive motors.
That would be nice.. a DC motor would be a wonderful upgrade imo. At this point, however, that 16-50 really needs a formula update as well.. and new coatings. CA is it's downfall and its rather soft at f/2.8

06-25-2016, 03:14 PM   #362
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
The PLM motor is for focus, not aperture, that is a seperate module
Indeed but as they, for now at least, tend to go to a common goal (Video) I expect Pentax to use both at the same time.
I'm not quite sure PLM has a huge advantage over DC in a different context and IMO PLM is not easily (if at all) applicable to bigger lenses.
06-25-2016, 10:06 PM   #363
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I don't know if this lens is just for video oriented users or if they'll still manufacture older ones with the manual aperture lever. But would it be advantageous if electronic levers will be used for all lenses in future? As a still user, I don't shift the aperture as often.
06-26-2016, 12:13 AM   #364
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
I don't know if this lens is just for video oriented users or if they'll still manufacture older ones with the manual aperture lever. But would it be advantageous if electronic levers will be used for all lenses in future? As a still user, I don't shift the aperture as often.
For still shots the implementation makes no difference. For video, however, the ability for the camera to smoothly adjust the aperture is nice.

I don't think all future lenses will use KAF4. Those lenses designed to be ultra-compact wouldn't have space for the necessary hardware, for instance.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-26-2016, 05:04 AM   #365
Pentaxian

I hope you're right Adam. I still don't want to give up my k-5II. I love it.
06-26-2016, 05:23 AM   #366
Pentaxian

KAF 4 is the ability to set the aperture through electronic means. It doesn't need any hardware in the camera (but older camera's don't have enough space left to update the firmware) but it needs an electronic aperture in the lens. So yes this lens is KAF 4.
07-02-2016, 07:42 PM   #367
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
For still shots the implementation makes no difference. For video, however, the ability for the camera to smoothly adjust the aperture is nice.

I don't think all future lenses will use KAF4. Those lenses designed to be ultra-compact wouldn't have space for the necessary hardware, for instance.
I do think that an electronic aperture is a good thing for 3rd party manufacturers though. If I'm not mistaken, many didn't like the mechanical linkage that the existing lenses have. I personally have had issues with my K-30 and aperture not always being properly set during LV or for some pictures. Its possible that this can be remedied with in-lens aperture actuation. Sad part - camera body can be cheaper to upgrade than some lenses, and is necessary after many (tens of thousands) of images. Lenses - many can (and have ) lives on for many decades. My only worry about the mass of electronics in the lenses - having to keep up / purchase new lenses more often.

07-02-2016, 07:48 PM   #368
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by formercanuck Quote
I do think that an electronic aperture is a good thing for 3rd party manufacturers though. If I'm not mistaken, many didn't like the mechanical linkage that the existing lenses have. I personally have had issues with my K-30 and aperture not always being properly set during LV or for some pictures. Its possible that this can be remedied with in-lens aperture actuation. Sad part - camera body can be cheaper to upgrade than some lenses, and is necessary after many (tens of thousands) of images. Lenses - many can (and have ) lives on for many decades. My only worry about the mass of electronics in the lenses - having to keep up / purchase new lenses more often.
Interesting point- though I don't think Pentax is going to release the spec to third parties unless they pay!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-02-2016, 08:40 PM   #369
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Interesting point- though I don't think Pentax is going to release the spec to third parties unless they pay!
I don't think Sigma ever pays.. they'll buy a few, study, then reverse engineer if they so choose to support K mount any more...
07-02-2016, 10:00 PM   #370
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
I don't think Sigma ever pays.. they'll buy a few, study, then reverse engineer if they so choose to support K mount any more...
I hope they'll continue to support the k-mount. Lesser third party supporters would push new comers away from Pentax. A lot of people would like to have a good support of third party lenses.
07-03-2016, 02:26 AM   #371

3rd party lens manufacturing process for Pentax mount.

QuoteOriginally posted by formercanuck Quote
pretty Interesting,

but I had read that the exclusions of mechanical interfacing, & replacing it with a simplified all electronic interface would simplify lens production process for 3rd party manufacturers. Would like to hear more about it though.

Just hope we see more 3rd party support for Pentax by Tamorn, Sigma, Rokinon etc.
08-04-2016, 05:00 PM - 2 Likes   #372
Banned

The new tech in this lens is great news. Yet another indication that the Pentax line is making progress.

I'm a K-3 owner, but the introduction of KAF4 doesn't bother me in the slightest. If I could afford to upgrade my lenses every time a new one was released, then I could also afford a new body capable of using KAF4. I think by the time there are a significant number of KAF4 lenses, the camera bodies available will also have significant upgrades in AF capability. I'll upgrade my lenses AND camera body when I think the increased capability is worth the investment.

There's a hell-of-a-lot of crying going on over a relatively small issue. Progress in Pentaxland should be embraced and cheered for.
08-05-2016, 07:33 AM   #373
Pentaxian

Btw, does anyone know when this first PLM will be available ?
08-05-2016, 07:48 AM   #374
Pentaxian

08-05-2016, 08:01 AM - 2 Likes   #375
Pentaxian

nice! now shoot a movie of a approaching bike with a dpreview writer on it.