Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-16-2016, 01:03 AM   #541
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I visited the Digital Splash show in Liverpool yesterday, and spoke to Ricoh's representatives. Apparently, there are no plans to discontinue the screw-drive 55-300 as Ricoh recognises the need to continue support for KAF3-mount users, and because it has been one of it's (quote) "best selling lenses"
I agree, but we also need an upgrade on our old lenses. Maybe a FF version with better AF would be a good upgrade path for both APS-C and FF users. More like hitting 2 birds with one stone. Of course, the price will be higher.

I'm also wishing for an 80-400 APS-C dedicated lens with the aperture lever of course. Just wishing out loud. I hope Ricoh hears it.

10-16-2016, 02:02 AM   #542
Pentaxian

If they want the new PLM version to keep "best sales", they'd better increase K-AF4 body compatibility...
Things are as simple as that...
10-16-2016, 02:19 AM   #543
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
If they want the new PLM version to keep "best sales", they'd better increase K-AF4 body compatibility...
Things are as simple as that...
I don't think it matters if the specific lens model continues to be a best seller... what matters is the total number of lenses sold. Introduction of the new PLM model will simply shift many of the sales away from the old model.

I tried the new PLM version on a K-70 at the show, and it's a really nice little lens with very fast, precise and quiet focusing
10-16-2016, 04:07 AM   #544
Veteran Member

I don't think it matters if the specific lens model continues to be a best seller... what matters is the total number of lenses sold.
That's what he was talking about - total number of lenses sold will decrease, because many camera models are not compatible with the new lens (e.g. K3, K50, K5 II ...) and owners of these bodies will not be able to buy the new lens. So if at the same time Pentax ceases sales of the older HD screw-drive version, then total lens sales for 55-300 lenses will fall.

10-16-2016, 04:42 AM   #545
Pentaxian

Need some threatening statistics ?

Click below :

Lens Sales continuous drop

I guess many of us will better understand why independent opticians are reluctant to diversify their product adaptation.... e.g. in K-mount...

And why Ricoh should do even more than it does, to sell the few albeit excellent lenses it produces or OEM under the Pentax brand...

Last edited by Zygonyx; 10-16-2016 at 04:49 AM.
10-16-2016, 06:08 AM   #546
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
That's what he was talking about - total number of lenses sold will decrease, because many camera models are not compatible with the new lens (e.g. K3, K50, K5 II ...) and owners of these bodies will not be able to buy the new lens. So if at the same time Pentax ceases sales of the older HD screw-drive version, then total lens sales for 55-300 lenses will fall.
But they're not going to stop supplying the old version, according to the rep from Ricoh. So, now there are two lenses available... one that the KAF4 camera owners will likely buy, and the other that KAF3 camera owners will buy. The same number of 55-300 lenses will be sold, I think - it's just those sales will be split across the screw-drive and PLM models.
10-16-2016, 06:10 AM   #547
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Need some threatening statistics ?

Click below :

Lens Sales continuous drop

I guess many of us will better understand why independent opticians are reluctant to diversify their product adaptation.... e.g. in K-mount...

And why Ricoh should do even more than it does, to sell the few albeit excellent lenses it produces or OEM under the Pentax brand...
That's interesting, but I don't understand the relevance to the 55-300 screw-drive and PLM lenses... or is this a separate point that I'm missing?

10-16-2016, 07:28 AM   #548
Pentaxian

The only point is to show that in a schrinking market, it would be cost-stupid for RI to maintain 2 models of 55-300mm.

Hence my doubt that the british RI representative has got it right, and my renewed demand for extended K-AF4 compatibility.
10-16-2016, 07:42 AM - 1 Like   #549
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

The only point is to show that in a schrinking market, it would be cost-stupid for RI to maintain 2 models of 55-300mm.

Hence my doubt that the british RI representative has got it right, and my renewed demand for extended K-AF4 compatibility.
I think we'll just have to agree to differ The way I see it (and it's just my opinion), Ricoh would almost certainly add KAF4 capability to other cameras such as the K-3 if it was easily able to, as that would allow it to drop production of the screw-drive 55-300 and concentrate on selling the new PLM model. As it stands, with only certain cameras KAF4 compatible, Ricoh is better off financially by continuing to offer both models side-by-side until demand for the screw-drive version tails off - at which point it will no doubt stop production. I'm sure this has been carefully thought through
10-16-2016, 08:26 AM   #550
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I satisfied my demand for KAF4 compatibility by buying a KAF4 compatible camera. It just seems like the sensible thing to do. All current models K-70 (entry) K-3II (flagship APS-c) and K-1 (flagship) support KAF4, so I'm not sure what you are demanding here. So, after their next upgrade cycle, everyone will have a KAF4 camera.. except for those who upgrade in the second hand market, or the bargain basement bins where they sell the older models like the K-50.
10-16-2016, 08:31 AM   #551

It's good to hear that the older model is not discontinued. But having said that, every Australian shop I've asked (including dcexpert which I thought was CR Kennedy) has said that Pentax won't send them one if a customer placed an order. Maybe Pentax Australia doesn't sell enough here to warrant shipping more out here but markets like the US, UK etc will continued to be supplied.
10-16-2016, 10:07 AM   #552
Pentaxian

I think we'll just have to agree to differ The way I see it (and it's just my opinion), Ricoh would almost certainly add KAF4 capability to other cameras such as the K-3 if it was easily able to, as that would allow it to drop production of the screw-drive 55-300 and concentrate on selling the new PLM model. As it stands, with only certain cameras KAF4 compatible, Ricoh is better off financially by continuing to offer both models side-by-side until demand for the screw-drive version tails off - at which point it will no doubt stop production. I'm sure this has been carefully thought through
I would agree if we knew the old version inventories.
Apparently in some aereas they are close to nil.
But time will tell...

---------- Post added 16-10-16 at 10:08 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I satisfied my demand for KAF4 compatibility by buying a KAF4 compatible camera. It just seems like the sensible thing to do. All current models K-70 (entry) K-3II (flagship APS-c) and K-1 (flagship) support KAF4, so I'm not sure what you are demanding here. So, after their next upgrade cycle, everyone will have a KAF4 camera.. except for those who upgrade in the second hand market, or the bargain basement bins where they sell the older models like the K-50.
I had by chance bought K-S1, so have no problem per se.
But personal situations don't forbid anyone to think more globally.
And the answer given by RI on K-3 non K-AF4 compatibility didn't sound fair...

Last edited by Zygonyx; 10-16-2016 at 10:13 AM.
10-16-2016, 10:22 AM   #553
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would agree if we knew the old version inventories.
Apparently in some aereas they are close to nil.
But time will tell...

---------- Post added 16-10-16 at 10:08 ----------

I had by chance bought K-S1, so have no problem per se.
But personal situations don't forbid anyone to think more globally.
And the answer given by RI on K-3 non K-AF4 compatibility didn't sound fair...
Except sometimes trying to think globally invents situations that don't and never will exist. I'm willing to entertain the idea that someday someone who does have aKAF4 camera will buy the lens, in fact I think it already happened once... but hopefully most of us are paying attention.
10-16-2016, 11:46 AM   #554
Pentaxian

I think not everybody has the means to buy both the new lens and the new K-70,K-S2 or K-3II.
Happy you if you did.

Furthermore, one of our members has been shipped the new lens, whereas he ordered the old one.
I was told the old lens wasn't anymore available in Australia.

An other member was told in the UK the old 55-300 was such a good selling lens, that it would be kept in Pentax's catalogue.

Those 3 points are not science fiction, are they ?

So, in short it seems again, that RI/their distributors are messing things up for some of their customers.

Last edited by Zygonyx; 10-16-2016 at 11:53 AM.
10-16-2016, 12:01 PM   #555
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

So, in short it seems again, that RI/their distributors are messing things up for some of their customers.
Have you tried e-mailing Ricoh Imaging to explain that there are mixed messages about the screw-drive lens and ask if it will continue to be available for the foreseeable future?