Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 143 Likes Search this Thread
10-17-2016, 07:32 AM   #571
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I don't even think the K-3 upgrade is physically possible, and no one has presented a a shred of physical evidence that it is
Exactly. It makes commercial sense for Ricoh to have all recent-model cameras compatible with KAF4 - where possible - as that increases the market for KAF4 lenses. I seriously doubt it's physically possible to upgrade the K-3 in this way...

10-17-2016, 07:40 AM   #572
Pentaxian

Never had this feeling to speak evidences, when some here just speculate : dear sirs, if you were right, we would have got another answer (i.e. your "argument") from the people in charge, as interviewed by Adam during the last Photokina.
10-17-2016, 07:45 AM   #573
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
12. Are there plans to bring KAF4 support to cameras such as the K-3 or K-50?
We can't answer this question.

Read more at: Photokina 2016 Pentax Interview - Photokina 2016 | PentaxForums.com

Is that what you are referring to?
We can't answer that question probably means "we don't even know if that's possible." At least it could be interpreted that way, amongst many others. It's always a mistake to try and imply specific answers from non-specific information.
10-17-2016, 08:03 AM - 1 Like   #574
Veteran Member

Read more at: Photokina 2016 Pentax Interview - Photokina 2016 | PentaxForums.com

We can't answer that question probably means "we don't even know if that's possible." At least it could be interpreted that way, amongst many others. It's always a mistake to try and imply specific answers from non-specific information.
I'd interpret it as "We don't want to make it compatible, but obviously we won't tell you that."

I would expect Ricoh engineers to know whether something is possible or not. If they know it's simply not possible to bring KAF4 to the K3, then logic and the principles of customer relations would dictate that they announce this, in order to make sure customers don't get aggravated. Or say something along the lines of "We are not sure yet, but we are looking into it!". If, like now, there is a large number of people suspecting Ricoh is shutting them out on purpose, that is a situation that has exclusively negative consequences for Ricoh.

So either they want to shut people out from KAF4 in order to sell more new bodies, or they are just horrible at communication.

10-17-2016, 08:17 AM   #575
Pentaxian

But, "we are looking into it" means "it's almost ready" Not long ago, they were "looking into it" for the FF project...
There are two big barriers here: language and cultural. Careful when making assumptions.
10-17-2016, 08:27 AM   #576
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
So either they want to shut people out from KAF4 in order to sell more new bodies, or they are just horrible at communication.
The K-70 has replaced the K-S2, but Ricoh has provided a KAF4 update for the K-S2. The K-3II has replaced the K-3, but Ricoh hasn't provided a KAF4 update for the K-3.

If Ricoh had been able to provide a KAF4 update for the K-3, I believe it would have done so already, consistent with its approach to other bodies...
10-17-2016, 08:30 AM   #577
Pentaxian

Specifically, Pentax K-mount DSLRs launched in 2014 and later are KAF4 compatible. The earlier models are not (or, not yet).

10-17-2016, 08:33 AM   #578
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
If Ricoh had been able to provide a KAF4 update for the K-3, I believe it would have done so already, consistent with its approach to other bodies...
Then why don't they tell us that? A simple statement saying that they would love to bring KAF4 to all cameras, but cannot due to hardware restrictions, would show that they care about their customers and stop people getting worked up over the issue because they feel treated unfairly.

Sometimes I just don't understand the way Ricoh communicates ...
10-17-2016, 08:45 AM - 1 Like   #579
Pentaxian

Would we believe them?
If "we cannot say" is interpreted as "we could do it easily but we want to force you to buy new cameras", is there anything they could say which wouldn't similarly be interpreted?
10-17-2016, 09:00 AM   #580
Pentaxian

I interpret their sentence as a polite Japanese way to answer negatively.
10-17-2016, 09:10 AM   #581
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Then why don't they tell us that? A simple statement saying that they would love to bring KAF4 to all cameras, but cannot due to hardware restrictions, would show that they care about their customers and stop people getting worked up over the issue because they feel treated unfairly.
I'd certainly prefer they told us that, but I honestly couldn't get worked up over it.

I don't believe Ricoh cares more or less about me than any other company who wants my money. The K-3 does everything Ricoh advertised when I bought it, so I remain a very happy chap. That it won't (can't?) be updated to support a new type of lens doesn't make it a lesser camera.

I added my name to the list requesting a KAF4 update, and if it happens - great... but if it doesn't, I don't feel I've been treated unfairly at all. I got exactly what was advertised, and what I paid for.

You and I differ in our views on this, I think, and that's fine - it would be a boring world if we were all the same
10-17-2016, 09:12 AM   #582
Pentaxian

I'd interpret it as "We don't want to make it compatible, but obviously we won't tell you that."

I would expect Ricoh engineers to know whether something is possible or not. If they know it's simply not possible to bring KAF4 to the K3, then logic and the principles of customer relations would dictate that they announce this, in order to make sure customers don't get aggravated. Or say something along the lines of "We are not sure yet, but we are looking into it!". If, like now, there is a large number of people suspecting Ricoh is shutting them out on purpose, that is a situation that has exclusively negative consequences for Ricoh.

Shrewed and incisive, as one would expect from a {fantastic} Mr fox

Last edited by Zygonyx; 10-17-2016 at 10:27 AM.
10-17-2016, 10:52 AM   #583
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
I was told this ROM issue, did very likely sound exotic...
Try to Cram an EFI firmware into a legacy BIOS chip ans report back for the fun??
10-19-2016, 04:58 AM   #584
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery

It was the same way Olympus guys dodged the question whether 4/3 will continue or not. So I'd say it's their way of politely saying NO.
10-19-2016, 05:22 AM   #585
Pentaxian

Maybe. But it's not the same way Pentax responded to the request for full K/M compatibility; then, they said "it's difficult".