Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-22-2016, 02:38 PM   #616
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Read the lens rental reports on those things. No camera company is immune from that, and everyone else is just as and. Even$10,000 Canon and Nikon telephotos arrive de-centered from time to time. It's not just a Pentax issue, you have to assume the cost of avoiding de-centering would out-weigh the benefits to the camera companies. Lens Rentals reports that most companies don't even have the equipment to test for and correct de-centering.
True, not a Pentax only issue, but the limited lenses should have tighter tolerances (they are prime also not zoom lenses except one). Lemons are a part of life, but something has to be done to improve the quality of premium lines.

Sigma uses their Foveon sensor for measurements or so they say... the thing is premium lenses are expected to be perfect, I know tranportation has a lot to do with the end user experience both in lenses and in hard disk drivers. The packaging of lenses is not adequete for all manufactorers in my view.

The LensRental "OLAF" is something that service centers should have, the cost of equipent has skyrocketed and people's expectations along with the prices.

FUD is part of reviewing and Pentax has suffered a lot, during the digital period and the movement of production lines outside of Japan.

I am sure that not all SDM lenses were problematic but the whole issue influenced my purchases to an extent. Nikon had a lot of problems lately but the brand name is still going strong.

For me IBIS is the reason I chose Pentax for digital and I will stick to the brand, it makes more sense economically.
But I will aknowledge that sometimes the grass is greener on the other side. And sometimes is greener on our side.

10-22-2016, 02:43 PM   #617
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
I don't know what they were underestimating - and we don't have data regarding Canon's USM and Nikon's AF-S failures, for their very first lenses (I heard a story about Canon USM freezing at their first Olympics, but can't remember the details). Perhaps it's the dual AF, perhaps it's using piezo micromotors with weather sealing, perhaps they used the wrong type of motor.
One issue with a dual design like this is that it adds complexity to all steps from R&D to production.

- It require more resources on design and evaluation for R&D. And trying something new, never tried before, makes it difficult to know how much evaluation is needed.
- The extra cost of the dual AF might mean that the the budget for the AF-motor where lower that if the lens had AF-motor only. Which could make it more difficult for sourcing to find a suitable motor.
- The extra complexity in production add cost to the lens, cost for the extra parts, extra parts to assemble, extra QC. Cost that might have to be saved somewhere else in the process.

I haven't heard any problems on the AF-motor used in the Tokina version of the lenses. If Tokina and Pentax had not used different AF solutions, they could have co-developed it instead.
10-22-2016, 03:52 PM   #618
Forum Member

After all these years we can only speculate, SDM is well in the past now, like high-end DA * lenses. For some time DFA lenses will be the priority.
11-25-2016, 11:18 AM   #619
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ricoh is able to make new KAF4 firmware for K-3 and K-50. K-5 series and K-30 are no any chance, I think.

Last edited by ogl; 11-25-2016 at 09:00 PM.
11-25-2016, 11:32 AM   #620
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Ricoh could make new KAF4 firmware for K-3 and K-50. K-5 series and K-30 are no any chance, I think.
The K-3 KAF4 update is on their website.
11-25-2016, 11:32 AM   #621
Pentaxian

Ricoh could make new KAF4 firmware for K-3 and K-50.
Announced yesterday.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/6-pentax-dslr-discussion/323221-petition-...ml#post3834726

K-5 series and K-30 are no any chance, I think.
That's what I thought yesterday about K-3 and K-50. Part of the issue is whether the hardware can handle it. The other part is Pentax strategy; I would expect most K-5 and K-30 users to have most of the lenses they need/want, and Pentax will want to sell off their remaining lenses in storage, but if the KAF4 mount is a major part of upcoming Pentax strategy ...
11-25-2016, 11:48 AM   #622
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
KAF4 mount is a major part of upcoming Pentax strategy
Probably, my 55-300mm is the first edition which I use lots.No WR on it so now that K50 is compatible.....i'll buy the PLM.

So whens the petition start for compatability with K-01?

11-25-2016, 07:22 PM   #623
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Announced yesterday.

I know
11-25-2016, 07:44 PM   #624
mee
Veteran Member

I know
I think there was a breakdown in communication from what you said versus what you meant. But I understand what you mean now.. and agree... I don't think we'll see the K-5 series get the KAF4 update.

Then again, I was surprised once with the K-3 KAF4 support... I'd be happy to be wrong again.
11-25-2016, 08:59 PM   #625
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
I think there was a breakdown in communication from what you said versus what you meant. But I understand what you mean now.. and agree... I don't think we'll see the K-5 series get the KAF4 update.

Then again, I was surprised once with the K-3 KAF4 support... I'd be happy to be wrong again.
Ricoh is able... I think it's clearer.
11-25-2016, 11:31 PM   #626
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote

I wish they'd give it for the k-5II/s series.
11-26-2016, 02:29 AM   #627
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
I wish they'd give it for the k-5II/s series.
I think K-5's software and hardware are rather old. It's objective fact.
They can offer the firmwares for all old cameras now, if they could. But Ricoh makes only K-3 and K-50.
11-26-2016, 05:04 AM   #628
Pentaxian

The K-5 and K-5 II have the Prime II processor. Which is older than the Prime-M in the K-50. So that probably is the reason the The K-5 is not supported (yet?). The K-30 and K-01 basically have the same Prime-M so support for those camera's could come.
11-26-2016, 05:52 AM   #629
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
The K-5 and K-5 II have the Prime II processor. Which is older than the Prime-M in the K-50. So that probably is the reason the The K-5 is not supported (yet?). The K-30 and K-01 basically have the same Prime-M so support for those camera's could come.
K-5 uses Fujitsu M-5. But K-30 uses M-6 IMO...
11-26-2016, 06:17 AM   #630
Pentaxian

Even assuming the hardware is OK, from the earliest SDM-compatible camera - we're now talking about discontinued products, where will/should they stop?
The K-3 and K-50 made sense, I'm glad they could do it. The K-5II series... maybe. After that, I can't help thinking I'd rather have them working to improve the K-1 and future cameras