Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-01-2016, 05:56 PM   #646
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Reed Quote
They will see nice growth in lens area when DA35/50 gets PLM drive update
Yeah, if they added PLM, HD and WR to these lenses, and maybe added a DA 24, that'd be to die for! They could double the price and it would still be an amazing deal!

12-01-2016, 11:33 PM   #647
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I would go for both(or all three) if this come true. Canon STM update for 50, was their best move in years, I wish Ricoh will find this move smart, and folow with other PLM lenses soon.
12-02-2016, 02:00 AM   #648
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
Yeah, if they added PLM, HD and WR to these lenses, and maybe added a DA 24, that'd be to die for! They could double the price and it would still be an amazing deal!
DC motor and WR are enough. HD kills stars. PLM demands upgrade of camera.
12-02-2016, 02:29 AM - 1 Like   #649
Pentaxian

HD doesn't "kill stars", it's the rounded aperture (you're talking, I presume, about the DA 15mm's starbursts which are less impressive on the HD version).
PLM might actually work on the older bodies, even if not as well as on the newer bodies. It's the electronically controlled aperture which won't.
There are currently 7 Pentax cameras supporting KAF4, and at CP+ we might see another. That might be enough to announce more KAF4 lenses.

12-02-2016, 04:08 AM   #650
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
As Kunzite said, HD doesn't kill starbursts and PLM doesn't need an upgrade - it's the rounded apertures and electronic aperture control.

PLM seems to be considerably faster than DC, while still being affordable and feasible in light lenses, so why not use it? And even if they implemented electronic aperture control, with the new firmware update the majority of reasonably up-to-date Pentax cameras are covered now.
12-02-2016, 01:44 PM   #651
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
No, KAF4 is what requires upgrade. I'm guessing they've provided upgrades for enough models, that a majority of the cameras in use are KAF4-compliant, so if they really do what to compete with Canikon, making future lenses KAF4 is the way to go {there are enough lenses to meet the needs of users of older cameras}.
12-02-2016, 02:17 PM   #652
Pentaxian

I would not be surprised K-AF4 shall be the only future lens standard...

12-02-2016, 11:29 PM - 1 Like   #653

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
I would not be surprised K-AF4 shall be the only future lens standard...
Using anything less or older makes no sense, they are anyway a few years behind canon and Nikon in terms of lens focusing speed.

Its like your country has just made 7th gen fighter jet and you're going back to 5th and 6th because current force doesn't like it.
12-02-2016, 11:55 PM   #654
Veteran Member

Does this mean the K3 and K-50 are getting support for PLM?

Edit: YES it does! (https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/172-pentax-k-3/334428-k-3-firmware-update...t-support.html) Haven't been on the forum in a while...this is great news!
Attached Images

Last edited by GateCityRadio; 12-03-2016 at 12:00 AM.
12-02-2016, 11:59 PM   #655
Pentaxian

yes it does
12-03-2016, 02:21 AM   #656
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by anu l Quote
Using anything less or older makes no sense, they are anyway a few years behind canon and Nikon in terms of lens focusing speed.
KAF4 and PLM drive are independent, neither of them requiring the other. They could make KAF3 PLM lenses.
But even if they'd go KAF4 (PLM or not), there will probably be at least 8 compatible bodies when the next such lens would appear. Maybe it's time to do it?
12-03-2016, 03:38 AM   #657

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
KAF4 and PLM drive are independent, neither of them requiring the other. They could make KAF3 PLM lenses.
But even if they'd go KAF4 (PLM or not), there will probably be at least 8 compatible bodies when the next such lens would appear. Maybe it's time to do it?
Yes, and there is no reason as to why we must go back to the aperture lever when we can now have a nice clean uncomplicated (and possibly easier to manufacture for Pentax & 3rd party) fully electrical interface like Canon.

The only difference is that Canon did this in a single shot while Nikon & Pentax took many years of evolution.
For me, the real deal was always the KAF4 while, the previous generations were more so to maintain compatibility and have the change gradually made without hurting investments of existing customers.

If all DSLR manufacturers had done this long back; I doubt Canon would have been such a big monopoly over the camera market.
12-03-2016, 11:02 AM   #658
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by anu l Quote
If all DSLR manufacturers had done this long back; I doubt Canon would have been such a big monopoly over the camera market.
I can speak only for myself. After sixteen years of using Pentax, I switched to Canon in 1995 because I really liked their EF/usm lenses. I came back to Pentax eighteen months ago, because I'd had issues with Canon's lower-tier bodies. At this moment, my K-30 cannot use KAF4 lenses, but I'm OK with that - I knew I was paying for a camera body that was already obsolete, but that is what I could fit into my budget when my latest Canon Rebel unexpectedly died on me {but I did get an 18-135 DC lens to replace the 18-55 lens kitted with the body, because I still don't like the in-body AF motor} If Pentax is to grow, it needs to address the tastes of those who are not currently Pentax users, in addition to those of us who currently are Pentax users, and I believe KAF4 is a good step in that direction. Extending KAF4 to older cameras should be proof of their not wanting current users to feel abandoned by this change, even though I don't expect any KAF4 lenses in the near future to provide capability not already available to us.
12-03-2016, 11:12 AM   #659

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I can speak only for myself. After sixteen years of using Pentax, I switched to Canon in 1995 because I really liked their EF/usm lenses. I came back to Pentax eighteen months ago, because I'd had issues with Canon's lower-tier bodies. At this moment, my K-30 cannot use KAF4 lenses, but I'm OK with that - I knew I was paying for a camera body that was already obsolete, but that is what I could fit into my budget when my latest Canon Rebel unexpectedly died on me {but I did get an 18-135 DC lens to replace the 18-55 lens kitted with the body, because I still don't like the in-body AF motor} If Pentax is to grow, it needs to address the tastes of those who are not currently Pentax users, in addition to those of us who currently are Pentax users, and I believe KAF4 is a good step in that direction. Extending KAF4 to older cameras should be proof of their not wanting current users to feel abandoned by this change, even though I don't expect any KAF4 lenses in the near future to provide capability not already available to us.
yes, improving lens AF speed by employing a better improved system is a start.

But these days you need 4K video, log profiles, IBIS in video, better hybrid AF in video, touch interface for general buyers to get attracted to your product.

Pentax needs to work in this field even though most current Pentaxians don't really care a lot about it so much.
12-04-2016, 06:02 PM   #660

Has anyone tried this lens on a K-50 with a dead aperture block since the firmware update? I'd be curious to see if KAF4 lenses can bring those old paperweights back to life, especially if all new lenses come with KAF4 support.