Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 98 Likes Search this Thread
07-26-2016, 05:49 AM   #166
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
Just tried this camera in the store to see what the new sensor AF was like. I used the lenses they happened have on the display, and they tended toward the consumer end the spectrum. My point of reference for LV is a K-01. It work significantly faster than that. Just first impressions, but . . .

DA18-135: reasonably fast, sure
DA 35 2.4 and DA50 1.8: very quick and sure
DFA50: macro slow, struggled to find focus at all
DA50-200: slow, hunted
DA18-270: average
DA17-70: slow, hunted
Some long slow Sigma (70-300?): Average

Some of the lenses now seem to be faster in LV than through the OVF.

In the hand, the camera just has a more conventional, serious flavour than the K-S2. I think it's the finish, appreciably on the top plate.
Black or Silver? I'd like the Silver but I'm slightly worried of how it looks and feels and also how durable it is.

Eric

07-26-2016, 06:20 AM   #167
Forum Member

Just tried this camera in the store to see what the new sensor AF was like. I used the lenses they happened have on the display, and they tended toward the consumer end the spectrum. My point of reference for LV is a K-01. It work significantly faster than that. Just first impressions, but . . .

DA18-135: reasonably fast, sure
DA 35 2.4 and DA50 1.8: very quick and sure
DFA50: macro slow, struggled to find focus at all
DA18-270: average
DA17-70: slow, hunted
Some long slow Sigma (70-300?): Average

In the hand, the camera just has a more conventional, serious flavour than the K-S2. I think it's the finish, appreciably on the top plate.
So we have a DSLR that focuses faster/(better?) in "mirrorless mode" (live-view) than in DSLR mode (with SAFOX)? Sounds funny to me*

*Not because I think I don't believe you (I do, indeed) but just because of I think performances of that SAFOX should be the strenght of a DSLR over a mirrorless...
07-26-2016, 06:22 AM   #168
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My K-S2 has been quite durable so far. I would expect the K70 to do well. I'm still pretty satisfied with the K-S2 as a general kick-around camera, though. Hard to justify buying yet another mid-level body for the same purpose that the K-S2 works so beautifully for... but I probably will anyway
07-26-2016, 06:38 AM   #169
Veteran Member

In my experience this lens has fairly poor AF in live view. Macro lenses can hunt in the macro range, as the DoF is so shallow, the AF struggles. Not deal breakers for me yet. But what I find really interesting is this:
Wow! Great to hear that, considering how slow CD AF firmware 1.0 was on K-01. Looks like its a good stride forward in that relation. Live view is useful, especially with Focus peaking and a flip tilt screen! It just opens options, especially for those who are short or have difficulty bending really low, or who take photos in crowded places.

07-26-2016, 09:00 AM - 1 Like   #170
JPT
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Eric Auer Quote
Black or Silver? I'd like the Silver but I'm slightly worried of how it looks and feels and also how durable it is.

Eric
They had both a black and a silver one. The silver one is just the same material as the black one. It doesn't look like the colour would rub off easily. If you are after the illusion that it is a metal camera, then it will be shattered when you touch the camera and feel it is made of the same plastic as the black one, rather than the cool-to-touch feel of real metal. If it were me, I'd go with the silver, because it is a bit different from the average DSLR, but it still looks smart and will go well with black lenses.

The AF isn't exactly a miracle improvement over previous live view AF, but it was pretty good against the same camera's (admittedly old) SAFOX system. I'm sure that there will be certain times when one mode of focusing works better than the other. I do think it is interesting that Ricoh has released a camera where the live view AF is improved but the OVF AF is not at all. I can't help but think it hints at what Ricoh is investing in and wonder what their future direction might be.
07-26-2016, 09:20 AM   #171
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sasha Quote
So we have a DSLR that focuses faster/(better?) in "mirrorless mode" (live-view) than in DSLR mode (with SAFOX)? Sounds funny to me*

*Not because I think I don't believe you (I do, indeed) but just because of I think performances of that SAFOX should be the strenght of a DSLR over a mirrorless...
Not once you get to a hybrid sensor - in fact, I expect even DSLR cameras to develop some kind of hybrid AF, because the PDAF gets close fast while the CDAF makes sure it is right (no front or back focus issues)
07-26-2016, 09:29 AM   #172

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Not once you get to a hybrid sensor - in fact, I expect even DSLR cameras to develop some kind of hybrid AF, because the PDAF gets close fast while the CDAF makes sure it is right (no front or back focus issues)
Are you saying that on the K-70 there are no front/back focus issues and that the CDAF confirms the final focus? That would be a nice advantage. One thing I like about the K-01 is not having to mess around adjusting every lens for focus accuracy.

07-26-2016, 09:48 AM   #173
Imp
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I can't help but think it hints at what Ricoh is investing in and wonder what their future direction might be.
*cough* Fuji Ricoh mirrorless series *cough*
07-26-2016, 10:22 AM   #174
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by EArenz Quote
Are you saying that on the K-70 there are no front/back focus issues and that the CDAF confirms the final focus? That would be a nice advantage. One thing I like about the K-01 is not having to mess around adjusting every lens for focus accuracy.
In LV it shouldn't have front/back focus issue; the accuracy of the K-01 but faster because PDAF should get near "fast".
07-26-2016, 11:03 AM   #175
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
In LV it shouldn't have front/back focus issue; the accuracy of the K-01 but faster because PDAF should get near "fast".
+1 CDAF doesn't have back/front focus issue. PDAF has. I guess in LV, as they combine both CDAF and PDAF, they can confirm/correct the fast PDAF with the slower but more precise contrast AF getting best of both worlds.
07-26-2016, 11:08 AM   #176
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by EArenz Quote
Once the sensor see the picture the recording of the picture start instantly to reduce they delay between the button press and the taking of the picture. And once the picture is taken you put the mirror back and close the shutter too.

If the picture is 1/200s, basically you have 1/200s to make the measurement while typical AF take more a few hundred milli second to operate. It should be possible in theory, but not sure it could be done.

And if it was the case Pentax would advertize it heavily.

On live view with electronic shutter, that should be no issue are the PDAF sensor never stop seeing the image. It may not be done if the circuitry and/or processing engine is buzy dealing with the image.
07-26-2016, 11:18 AM   #177
Veteran Member

That's a ols safox module for reflex mode that have soso performance versus a modern hybrid PDAF sensor for live view. It seems logical.

Where I am surprised is 17-70. It was fast already on K5 so I don't see why it should get average result here.
07-26-2016, 11:52 AM   #178
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
That's a ols safox module for reflex mode that have soso performance versus a modern hybrid PDAF sensor for live view. It seems logical.
it's logical, and that's the reason I have no doubt in believing what JPT said but... It's also funny, I mean... It should be one of the major strenght of a DSLR (ok for front/back focusing problem)
If it's faster and more reliable using LV than that SAFOX... Then OVF is a bit limited in usefulness... It's there, but you're prone to use LV than OVF for those two reasons... and this, while logical, seems funny to me

P.S.: before a war will start because I dared to criticize Pentax, I'm here because I want to buy this K-70 in favor of a Canon 760D... So I have already found the strenghts of Pentax system compared to other systems
07-26-2016, 12:13 PM   #179
Veteran Member

it's logical, and that's the reason I have no doubt in believing what JPT said but... It's also funny, I mean... It should be one of the major strenght of a DSLR (ok for front/back focusing problem)
If it's faster and more reliable using LV than that SAFOX... Then OVF is a bit limited in usefulness... It's there, but you're prone to use LV than OVF for those two reasons... and this, while logical, seems funny to me
In fact, that what I tried to explain here... Don't expect anything more than a KS2 for OVF experience.

I hope there will be a model, maybe only 500g with an good EVF and a bit smaller. That would be quite interresting for me.
07-26-2016, 11:52 PM   #180
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by planteater Quote
One thing that intrigues me is that we are seeing unboxing videos from early adopters but no detailed reviews. It seems a bit odd that review models haven't been made available to magazines and credible websites. Is this normal?
I've pretty much talked myself into buying the K70 but would like to see some sort of considered review before I do.
Probably a way of marketing.