Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-03-2016, 11:32 PM - 3 Likes   #241
Forum Member

It's funny here…
We're in a thread speaking about a new camera, and a review just came out saying "our" (at least for a part of us) expectations area little bit crushed because Pentax autofocus in video is unusable for that as it's still hauting for focus as a simple contrast based system, being nowhere near what Canon can offers since its 70D…

This came out but "you're not allowed" to talk about it and express your disappointment because it seems some here take it personal as those words are directed to them and not to Pentax… I understand we're in a forum called PentaxForums and there is for sure some "fanboysm" here and there but still... I find somehow funny what you can say here for someone is just good words about Pentax… Complaints are not allowed by someone. Are you here because you're interested in Pentax (you took some time to register here) but Pentax again crush your hope in video mode even if some improvements took place (KAF4, AF speed in LV)? Don't complain here (so where should I?) and go away buying other brand…here just good opinion <3

Last edited by Sasha; 08-04-2016 at 12:01 AM.
08-04-2016, 01:36 AM   #242
Site Supporter

Well, nothing's sure before it has been demonstrated, but I guess yes, second limitation can still be video contrast hunting autofocus
08-04-2016, 02:10 AM   #243

QuoteOriginally posted by Dipsoid Quote
Honestly, I don't get "this". If a user is disappointed in Pentax not having a feature, people say "get another camera for that" yeah and everyone wants to spend thousands of dollars on camera equipment, especially when an entry level canon blows Pentax video quality out of the water. If Pentax wants to remain relevant, they must compete with the market and make their cameras more competent for video. In this day and age the market demands cameras to be stills AND video focused. There's less and less room in the market for a stills focused cameras, just like there's little room for a "call focused" cell phone. Look at Fuji, the other "stills focused" camera manufacturer, they know what's going on and have decided to up the ante in their video features. Requesting Pentax do the same is not "complaining" it's a legitimate criticism. I love my Pentax camera, I would like to stick with them for many rewards, it would be a shame to see them head towards the sunset because they can't adapt to the changing times. I'm not saying Pentax is doomed, I think they'll be around for a very long time. I think they'll just continue to become more and more niche.
You are absolutely right. This is the reason why Pentax isn't competing the Canon & Nikon. It's just not competing with them on features which most user need, so the sales of Pentax aren't competing with Canon/Nikon head on.

People who say to other users that "just find a different camera" don't realize that with every consumer lost, Pentax is losing it's space. & it should matter to Pentax if more & more people start giving up on Pentax - people who once had real high hopes from the manufacturer, because it's user base is small.

As far as video is concerned, it doesnt affect me personally so much, what I'm concerned is the live view AF, & from latest quick overview from pentaxforums, I'm disappointed.

hope things change with firmware update.
08-04-2016, 02:53 PM   #244
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by anu l Quote
You are absolutely right. This is the reason why Pentax isn't competing the Canon & Nikon. It's just not competing with them on features which most user need, so the sales of Pentax aren't competing with Canon/Nikon head on.
The Olympics is not a plce to find many Pentax's, but there are things to learn.

https://www.dpreview.com/news/3821209564/behind-the-scenes-with-canon-at-the...ympics?slide=5

08-04-2016, 03:03 PM - 1 Like   #245
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums

People who say to other users that "just find a different camera" don't realize that with every consumer lost, Pentax is losing it's space. & it should matter to Pentax if more & more people start giving up on Pentax - people who once had real high hopes from the manufacturer, because it's user base is small.

As far as video is concerned, it doesn't affect me personally so much, what I'm concerned is the live view AF, & from latest quick overview from pentaxforums, I'm disappointed.

hope things change with firmware update.
I am absolutely in shock - usually Nicholas06 and I end up volleying comments, but I believe he and I are in agreement here.

When I bought my first Pentax, back in 1979, I got it because they were a highly respected brand in producing SLR cameras - cameras that were used to record still images. If you wanted to record moving images, you would buy a camera made by Bell&Howell or someone similar.

Yes, I know this is not 1979 ... but some principles are still true. I am willing to believe that the average Canon Rebel 6Ti owner uses it to record moving images, but I seriously doubt if the average owner of a Canon 5Diii, 5DS, or 1DXii bought it because of how it records video. I am not a camera designer, but I am willing to believe that designing a camera which excels in recording still images still requires different things than does designing a camera which excels in recording moving images. That is one reason I continue to reject the "one camera for all" myth. Pentax has clearly indicated that their primary focus right now is on that latter group, on those who would otherwise purchase a Canon 5Diii, 5DS, or 1DXii. They simply do not have the resources to compete with Canon, or Nikon, across the board in all segments of the camera market. As recently as a year ago, some members here were disappointed {oh so disappointed!!} that Pentax didn't produce a full-frame camera, and so they were reluctantly moving their membership over the the "sister" Nikon Forums; if that were still true, some disappointed members here would be saying it is so sad that Pentax is losing customers to Canon and Nikon because of FF, that Pentax should be able to compete with Canon and Nikon in FF. Well, guess what, they are doing exactly that right now! That is good! Those of us whose budgets are more K-n0 sized are benefiting because some of that technology is finding its way into the K-70 line, and Pentax does seem to be taking steps that will eventually result in a camera which is better suited for video, but it is unreasonable to expect the K-70 to excel over the comparable Canon Rebel in absolutely every measure. Someone who switches to a Canon Rebel because the Pentax K-70 doesn't meet their needs will get exactly what they deserve {I switched from Canon Rebel to Pentax K-n0 fourteen months ago because I found the quality of Canon Rebel bodies to be lacking, and despite complaints and "disappointed" users here, no one has yet convinced me that the current Canon Rebel is a match for the K-70}. Since I bought my K-30 so recently, I am working to convince myself to buy a K-70 reasonably soon, but I can tell you that buying a Canon Rebel has never crossed my mind.
08-05-2016, 12:48 AM   #246

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I am absolutely in shock - usually Nicholas06 and I end up volleying comments, but I believe he and I are in agreement here.

When I bought my first Pentax, back in 1979, I got it because they were a highly respected brand in producing SLR cameras - cameras that were used to record still images. If you wanted to record moving images, you would buy a camera made by Bell&Howell or someone similar.

Yes, I know this is not 1979 ... but some principles are still true. I am willing to believe that the average Canon Rebel 6Ti owner uses it to record moving images, but I seriously doubt if the average owner of a Canon 5Diii, 5DS, or 1DXii bought it because of how it records video. I am not a camera designer, but I am willing to believe that designing a camera which excels in recording still images still requires different things than does designing a camera which excels in recording moving images. That is one reason I continue to reject the "one camera for all" myth. Pentax has clearly indicated that their primary focus right now is on that latter group, on those who would otherwise purchase a Canon 5Diii, 5DS, or 1DXii. They simply do not have the resources to compete with Canon, or Nikon, across the board in all segments of the camera market. As recently as a year ago, some members here were disappointed {oh so disappointed!!} that Pentax didn't produce a full-frame camera, and so they were reluctantly moving their membership over the the "sister" Nikon Forums; if that were still true, some disappointed members here would be saying it is so sad that Pentax is losing customers to Canon and Nikon because of FF, that Pentax should be able to compete with Canon and Nikon in FF. Well, guess what, they are doing exactly that right now! That is good! Those of us whose budgets are more K-n0 sized are benefiting because some of that technology is finding its way into the K-70 line, and Pentax does seem to be taking steps that will eventually result in a camera which is better suited for video, but it is unreasonable to expect the K-70 to excel over the comparable Canon Rebel in absolutely every measure. Someone who switches to a Canon Rebel because the Pentax K-70 doesn't meet their needs will get exactly what they deserve {I switched from Canon Rebel to Pentax K-n0 fourteen months ago because I found the quality of Canon Rebel bodies to be lacking, and despite complaints and "disappointed" users here, no one has yet convinced me that the current Canon Rebel is a match for the K-70}. Since I bought my K-30 so recently, I am working to convince myself to buy a K-70 reasonably soon, but I can tell you that buying a Canon Rebel has never crossed my mind.
Actually,as I have mentioned in posts video isn't my problem, but I've seen that users do hesitate if they don't get enough video capabilities, or have to go for another video camera to satisfy their needs.
Where it affects me is in case of Live view AF (mostly AF-S) for stills, I was seriously expecting it to do better - as good as 80D (or close atleast) with hybrid focus (still do, and waiting for more reviews to confirm this). And a better video AF generally means better live view AF, even though I'd hardly be using the video feature.

You can take the example of the canon 80D or T6S/I for how a camera can be a good stills as well as good video. It has good Live view AF and good video.
08-05-2016, 06:02 AM   #247
Site Supporter

Actually,as I have mentioned in posts video isn't my problem, but I've seen that users do hesitate if they don't get enough video capabilities, or have to go for another video camera to satisfy their needs.
Where it affects me is in case of Live view AF (mostly AF-S) for stills, I was seriously expecting it to do better - as good as 80D (or close atleast) with hybrid focus (still do, and waiting for more reviews to confirm this). And a better video AF generally means better live view AF, even though I'd hardly be using the video feature.

You can take the example of the canon 80D or T6S/I for how a camera can be a good stills as well as good video. It has good Live view AF and good video.
Where are you finding you 80D at anywhere near the same price point as a K-70? The T6S is closer, but still more expensive, not weather sealed, and lacks a number of stills features that the K-70 has.

No one is saying Pentax is perfect. What many are saying is that Pentax delivers a rich feature set at a low price point.
08-05-2016, 07:02 AM   #248
Site Supporter

Well, my copy focuses great in LV- seems quicker than any of my other Pentax bodies. Aside from video, video, and more video, is anyone else impressed with this camera at all? At this price point, the K-70 delivers, and I'm very pleased with mine so far. The grip is deeper and wider than the K-S2 grip, which makes it just right. Button placement is perfect for back button focusing. The range of options in interval shooting is huge, and the Star Stream mode is very cool. It's a desirable camera to have in your bag, no doubt.

08-05-2016, 07:03 AM   #249

QuoteOriginally posted by jgnfld Quote
Where are you finding you 80D at anywhere near the same price point as a K-70? The T6S is closer, but still more expensive, not weather sealed, and lacks a number of stills features that the K-70 has.

No one is saying Pentax is perfect. What many are saying is that Pentax delivers a rich feature set at a low price point.
Yes, pentax gives a lot of features, that's why I'm interested in it & want it to do better in some segments (especially when it promises to do better)

Yeah, agreed that 80D is 400$ more, but the T6s's (priced in same segment as K-70) Live view & video is great, in fact it beat the 70D's dual pixel in some cases.

Even then, keeping these aside, overall Canon's live view has always been leading, both in terms of performance & usability (more so due to the touch feature) among DSLRs followed by Pentax, (& Nikon's LV is outright bad).
08-05-2016, 07:09 AM - 1 Like   #250
Site Supporter

If you want WR get Pentax K-70. {I'm hoping high ISO will also be a strong point, but that is yet to be seen}
If you want video get Canon T-6i
There is nothing complicated here.
08-05-2016, 07:12 AM - 1 Like   #251
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
Man don't play on words. You understood the point. Pentax doesn't make what you ask. Again they are free to do what they like/want. Like you.

If you still use Pentax knowing the limitations this is YOUR problem. Not Pentax problem.

You explain that there other cameras that do a goood job at it, Get one of them and stop complaining or don't get one of them and stop explaining they are so much better.
Again, deflecting legitimate criticism with "go buy another brand." Wishing for a company to improve it's weak areas is not "complaining" and to say so is again, unhelpful.
08-05-2016, 07:22 AM   #252
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Dipsoid Quote
Again, deflecting legitimate criticism with "go buy another brand." Wishing for a company to improve it's weak areas is not "complaining" and to say so is again, unhelpful.
People are just pointing out that you have manoeuvred yourself in a no win situation. Might as will move to the desert and demand rain everyday.
08-05-2016, 08:18 AM   #253

QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
Honestly I don't get this...

You want an all in one camera? There many availalble... Just not from Pentax.

So either your prioritize Pentax and the consequence you also have a video camera... And once that's decided, there no reason to complain.
When I chose Pentax, DSRL cameras even were not able to shoot video . So I didn┤t care about it. For the rest it was a perfect choice. I mean I chose Pentax not because it was Pentax, but because it was a really good product. Now video mode is a regular option for DSRL. So if I want just to use my lenses also for video and not to buy a new camera + lenses - it is not something unreal. One day Ricoh will get it.
08-05-2016, 09:13 AM - 1 Like   #254

QuoteOriginally posted by Kuzma Quote
When I chose Pentax, DSRL cameras even were not able to shoot video . So I didn┤t care about it. For the rest it was a perfect choice. I mean I chose Pentax not because it was Pentax, but because it was a really good product. Now video mode is a regular option for DSRL. So if I want just to use my lenses also for video and not to buy a new camera + lenses - it is not something unreal. One day Ricoh will get it.
good video is a legitimate demand from a customer to a camera company. I cannot accept "If you don't like it, change the brand" argument in this case. Even more so when the company had risen hopes of having better video/live view performance with hybrid focus.

It's not like people are demanding full frame Image quality from K-70 or something other impractical features at this price point. One naturally does expect better live view/video auto-focus performance when you have on sensor phase detect system - That's the whole reason phase detect points sit on the sensor.
And when you don't see the results, it's disappointing.
08-05-2016, 02:20 PM - 1 Like   #255
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
People are just pointing out that you have manoeuvred yourself in a no win situation. Might as will move to the desert and demand rain everyday.
Eh, sounds more like "wah wah wah I can't take someone having a different opinion from mine." If someone lived in a desert and was thirsty I certainly wouldn't tell them to stop complaining or move somewhere else if they ask for water. I certainly wouldn't tell them they were complaining if they asked their government to build a well. I'll move on though, I think Pentax makes amazing cameras, and the one place they certainly are being left in the dust is video features. I think the K-70 is a step in the right direction of at least paying a little attention to video rather than making a minimal effort and slapping a "1080p video!" sticker on the box.