Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-05-2016, 06:43 AM   #361
Pentaxian

Interestingly enough, the Ricoh CEO, Mr. Zenji Miura, occasionally presented the financial results (if not him, then some Vice President). By doing so he mentioned the camera division a few times.
In the presentations' transcripts, I don't remember even once a "what? we have a camera division? since when?" - so I guess he was quite aware of this.

However, I'm not aware of the exact relation between the published specifications on Ricoh's website and the Ricoh's CEO. Silly me, should be something obvious...

09-05-2016, 06:52 AM   #362
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Interestingly enough, the Ricoh CEO, Mr. Zenji Miura, occasionally presented the financial results (if not him, then some Vice President). By doing so he mentioned the camera division a few times.
In the presentations' transcripts, I don't remember even once a "what? we have a camera division? since when?" - so I guess he was quite aware of this.

However, I'm not aware of the exact relation between the published specifications on Ricoh's website and the Ricoh's CEO. Silly me, should be something obvious...
I Even meet Mr. Zenji Miura at Photokina in 2012. He was there with Mr Shiro Kondo who was carrying a Q and got to my attention for my yellow K-01. Had a short talk with Mr Shiro Kondo. The camera division is like 2 % of Ricoh, so while small it is still a big part to look at. Mr Shiro Kondo has a background in the Ricoh camera division from the '70 ties or so. The camera business is for it's size very visable because it is a consumer activity.
09-05-2016, 07:03 AM - 1 Like   #363
Imp
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
ephotozine pentax k-70 review is out Pentax K-70 Review
09-05-2016, 06:27 PM - 1 Like   #364
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by anu l Quote
There is a lot of truth in what you are saying.... Pentax is not at all a competition for Nikon & Canon, .
Well I have a news for you — they have to be in competition with them. Pentax unfortunately started entire SLR business ages ago, and now what, refuses to compete with other players that came in? Who are they kidding — that they will remove themselves from the market they have invented? They won't play the game anymore? What's the excuse: arthritis?

No. Such stupid excuses must end. It's now up to their owner to screw its head in the right direction and deliver on promise: they must compete. That's the whole purpose of their existence. The landscape of the photography market is changing and thanks to smartphones, many enthusiasts are now coming into the DSLR market, into more serious photography, and they will choose a player who takes its job seriously. No kidding around with utter stupidities like K-01 or K-S1, or endless cheap plastic lenses. Those days are over.

Issue serious cameras, which are seriously competitive, take all AF issues seriously, issue serious lenses. And Pentax will reinvigorate.

09-06-2016, 07:43 AM - 1 Like   #365
Site Supporter

To you complainers out there:

I don't know what the right camera is for you. Only you can determine that. What I do know is that the K-70 is a good camera for me. Unless Pentax comes out with something even better for me, I will be buying a K-70, perhaps reasonably soon. I am retired; I have the time to respond to your complaints point-by-point, but I have better uses for my time; I'm just skimming your words now - not even reading each complaint word-by-word. Today, for example, I may go out and take some pictures for "World Pentax Day".

I do have a couple of suggestions for you, however:

(1) Find the camera that is right for you, and go out and use it. Join a forum dedicated to your camera and share good ideas with those who have the same camera.

(2) Get a hobby so you can make better use of your time.
09-07-2016, 02:09 PM - 4 Likes   #366
Site Supporter

My 55-300mm PLM RE for my K70 came today. Went down to the park to try it out. I think I am going to be very satisfied with this lens. Very nice, very fast, very quiet AF both in AF.S and AF.C on a hunting sea hawk of some sort (osprey?). Nice textures on bronze. No trouble with moire with AA set to off even on closeup of duck in last pic.

Hate to get rid of it as it has given me much pleasure, but I think you will see my SMC DAL 55-300mm in the marketplace soon. This is just a MUCH superior lens.

09-07-2016, 03:49 PM - 1 Like   #367
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mecrox Quote
Rather than stoking it up all the time and raising tensions in a hot medium - there is a big element here of Who Cares?
Exactly, who care? K70 is out, the spec will not change. Fondamental hardware aspects of K70 will not change, even if we convince the whole company they need to change it, at best they'll make a better K90...

But the potential buyer care. They care what their money is spend on, if it spending more give them more or if something is mostly marketing...

I have found and obviously that's personal opinion, based from the specs and my knowledge of Pentax camera I have used in the past plus the available review (including Pentax Forum) that from a photographic stand point that basically the K70 compared to KS2 is a bit better at high iso, more so in JPEG and that's it. On day to day life, that's a KS2, itself near to a K5-II. So this is all about price you would pay for it compared to a used K5-II (I don't think you can find one new) or more easily a new KS2.

Then on can also compare to older flagships like K3 or K3-II or the next one. Depending of the country, price quite similar (K3) and while there the obvious lack of articulated screen and PLM support in video, for typicall still use, K3 much better body. Because AF better, because exposure/metering is better, because you have more direct access control, because you can control other flash with the on board flash, because the body is made to last...

That's obviously only a point of view and everybody can agree or disagree. But looking at the many over optimistics views of K70 expressed there, the actual lack of visible improvement from tester and quite avegage sepcs, I was feeling that the biggest risk was for somebody to spend money on this body, prefer it to alternative that would either be cheaper and almost identical or better and not necessarily more expensive (depend of your local market). The key point being finally do you want a much overall camera or an articulated screen.

Potential buyer can decide what they want but I am 100% sure they care that the camera they finally buy is the right for them, that they got the most out of their money and didn't overspent neither. So yes there people that care.

Last edited by Nicolas06; 09-07-2016 at 03:55 PM.
09-07-2016, 04:09 PM   #368
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
Exactly, who care? K70 is out, the spec will not change. Fondamental hardware aspects of K70 will not change, even if we convince the whole company they need to change it, at best they'll make a better K90...

But the potential buyer care. They care what their money is spend on, if it spending more give them more or if something is mostly marketing...

I have found and obviously that's personal opinion, based from the specs and my knowledge of Pentax camera I have used in the past plus the available review (including Pentax Forum) that from a photographic stand point that basically the K70 compared to KS2 is a bit better at high iso, more so in JPEG and that's it. On day to day life, that's a KS2, itself near to a K5-II. So this is all about price you would pay for it compared to a used K5-II (I don't think you can find one new) or more easily a new KS2.

Then on can also compare to older flagships like K3 or K3-II or the next one. Depending of the country, price quite similar (K3) and while there the obvious lack of articulated screen and PLM support in video, for typicall still use, K3 much better body. Because AF better, because exposure/metering is better, because you have more direct access control, because you can control other flash with the on board flash, because the body is made to last...

That's obviously only a point of view and everybody can agree or disagree. But looking at the many over optimistics views of K70 expressed there, the actual lack of visible improvement from tester and quite avegage sepcs, I was feeling that the biggest risk was for somebody to spend money on this body, prefer it to alternative that would either be cheaper and almost identical or better and not necessarily more expensive (depend of your local market). The key point being finally do you want a much overall camera or an articulated screen.

Potential buyer can decide what they want but I am 100% sure they care that the camera they finally buy is the right for them, that they got the most out of their money and didn't overspent neither. So yes there people that care.
What I meant was that there are more important things in life than worrying about the precise specifications of a camera. Before long, people are discussing nuances that no one is going to detect in actual use or in a print. Actually I am not that fussed about which camera anyway. Just give me a camera, bro. The lens usually matters much more to me than the body. If the body can take pics we're in business. Only if the camera has some gross defect am going to bin it and that is pretty darn rare these days. And, yes, I do understand that someone spending what may for them be a great deal of money wants to get something that is right for them, although (imho) there still is an element of luck in this. One can do all the research, etc., but it might take some months for the outcome of one's choice to become really clear.

09-07-2016, 04:43 PM   #369
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jgnfld Quote
My 55-300mm PLM RE for my K70 came today. Went down to the park to try it out. I think I am going to be very satisfied with this lens. Very nice, very fast, very quiet AF both in AF.S and AF.C on a hunting sea hawk of some sort (osprey?). Nice textures on bronze. No trouble with moire with AA set to off even on closeup of duck in last pic.

Hate to get rid of it as it has given me much pleasure, but I think you will see my SMC DAL 55-300mm in the marketplace soon. This is just a MUCH superior lens.
Thank you so much for the pictures.

My tentative decision already was to buy a K-70 + the PLM lens, probably by year end, and these reinforce my conclusion that it will be a good deal for me.
09-08-2016, 12:10 AM   #370
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jgnfld Quote

Thanks for sharing. Your tests look good. If it's as good as you say it is, it will be another success for Pentax. Without any bias in tests, it will put up a strong challenge to any brand on its level.
09-08-2016, 01:11 AM   #371

I had the K-70 in my hands in a shop yesterday, and I'm really impressed by the quality and all those features that the competitors don't have. I tested it with
18-135 kit lens and the HD PENTAX-DA 18-50mm F4-5.6 DC WR RE.

The AF wasn't super-fast, but not worse than Nikon D-5500. Good enough for still photography, surely not the best for sports.

But I really think about selling my Sony NEX and changing to Pentax. Sony is way too expensive these days, and there aren't many third-party-lenses, at least no zooms with AF.
The K-70 with the new 55-300 and the Sigma 17-70 would be perfect for me, as an affordable starter set. But it concerns me, that many higher quality lenses aren't available. Sure, there is the Sigma 1.8/18-35 ART, but no 1.8/50-100...
09-08-2016, 10:03 AM   #372
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Thank you so much for the pictures.

My tentative decision already was to buy a K-70 + the PLM lens, probably by year end, and these reinforce my conclusion that it will be a good deal for me.
I'm hoping I have one before you get yours, but who knows.

I'm really curious as to whether the PLM on the 55-300 and a K-70 would be faster focusing than the SDM on my K-3 +DA*200 and DA*60-250, which are admittedly , quite pedestrian.

Of course, if Pentax comes out with an APS-c K-4 with the K-1 33 point AF module, KAF4, built in GPS, Pixels shift and floppy screen and maintains 8-10 FPS... all bets are off.
09-08-2016, 10:32 AM   #373
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Of course, if Pentax comes out with an APS-c K-4 with the K-1 33 point AF module, KAF4, built in GPS, Pixels shift and floppy screen and maintains 8-10 FPS... all bets are off.
That's the downside of Pentax's tradition of secrecy and last-minute announcements.
If they were willing to say "we won't be announcing ... around Photokina" then they would loosen up the market for those interested in ... but they don't, so anyone who might buy a Pentax camera the rest of this year will just sit for the next twelve days. This must be a bad time to be a camera sales-person.
09-08-2016, 02:27 PM   #374
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
That's the downside of Pentax's tradition of secrecy and last-minute announcements.
If they were willing to say "we won't be announcing ... around Photokina" then they would loosen up the market for those interested in ... but they don't, so anyone who might buy a Pentax camera the rest of this year will just sit for the next twelve days. This must be a bad time to be a camera sales-person.
But on the contrary if they say, we will release a killer flagship APSC camera in Q1 2017, an entry level FF Q4 2017 and a mirrorless K-mount somewhere in 2018 and the K70 was only a prototype to enable that last one and get our finger on some on sensor PDAF, that would mean many people not buying K3-II, KS2, K70 and K1 today and waiting ! And if they are late by 3 month, many will complain.
09-08-2016, 02:44 PM   #375
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
But on the contrary if they say, we will release a killer flagship APSC camera in Q1 2017, an entry level FF Q4 2017 and a mirrorless K-mount somewhere in 2018 and the K70 was only a prototype to enable that last one and get our finger on some on sensor PDAF, that would mean many people not buying K3-II, KS2, K70 and K1 today and waiting ! And if they are late by 3 month, many will complain.
And if they had a track record of teasers or leaks two weeks before a big show, then people would know by now what they will know in twelve days. I would know no K-02 this year, so I would go ahead and buy the K-70, because what they release a year from now is essentially meaningless. Normhead would guess that a K-4 using technology prototyped with the K-70 and K-1 will most likely come at CP+ time, and he would make his buy/wait decision based on that.

Oh, and "people will complain" will be true regardless of which decisions they announced when.