Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 98 Likes Search this Thread
06-08-2016, 03:03 PM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
New Pentax K-70

Just announced on at least both DPReview and CNET

Pentax K-70 Release Date, Price and Specs - CNET
http://www.dpreview.com/news/2746194559/ricoh-introduces-weather-resistant-p...nd-pixel-shift

Press Release:

QuoteQuote:
Ricoh Imaging unveils weather-resistant, advanced digital SLR camera designed for the great outdoors

PENTAX K-70 incorporates speedy, high-accuracy AF, ultra-sensitive imaging engine and other technologies for producing high-resolution images in a wide variety of challenging conditions
DENVER, Colo., June 8, 2016—Ricoh Imaging Americas Corporation today announced the PENTAX K-70 advanced digital single-lens reflex (SLR) camera. Compact, dustproof and weather-resistant, the new PENTAX K-70 camera incorporates features — many of which have previously only been available on top-of-the-line PENTAX models — that enable photographers to produce high-resolution still photos and HD videos in a wide variety of challenging conditions, including low light and temperatures as low as 14°F (-10°C). The camera’s weather-resistant capabilities and compact design make it an ideal photographic companion for hikers, climbers and snow sports enthusiasts, as well as for nature and landscape photographers.
With a newly developed image accelerator unit providing a top sensitivity of ISO 102,400, plus the PENTAX-developed PRIME MII image processor, the PENTAX K-70 is capable of capturing high quality images in extremely low-light conditions. A new Hybrid Autofocus (AF) system, integrating both image-plane phase-matching and contrast-detection autofocus technologies, delivers speedy and accurate autofocus while also providing continuous auto focus for HD video recording.
“PENTAX has a long history of developing cameras and lenses that can withstand the rigors of the great outdoors. The K-70 goes a step further, with new, advanced features that enable the creation of higher quality images and make the camera very easy to use, both in the backyard and in the field,” said Kaz Eguchi, president, Ricoh Imaging Americas Corporation. “Combined with any one of our many available weather-resistant lenses, this camera is in a class of its own for outdoor photography.”
The PENTAX K-70 provides a variety of advanced features found only in Ricoh’s high-grade PENTAX K-series models, such as the PENTAX Pixel Shift Resolution System, which produces high-resolution, finely detailed images. These also include an AA Filter Simulator that effectively eliminates moiré without the need for an anti-aliasing filter, a variable-tilt LCD monitor, and an in-body shake-reduction mechanism that reduces the effects of camera shake up to 4.5 shutter steps. The K-70 also incorporates built-in Wi-Fi for remote shooting and easy transfer to smart devices using Ricoh’s dedicated Image Sync app.
The PENTAX K-70’s exterior is designed with outdoor operations in mind. Features such as a newly designed grip, mode dial and control buttons on the camera’s top and back panels are designed to be easy and intuitive to operate, even with a gloved hand. It also comes equipped with an outdoor-friendly LCD monitor with an illumination control that can be instantly adjusted to the lighting level of any shooting location. The K-70 also has a red-lighted monitor display function which keeps ambient light from interfering with astrophotography.
In conjunction with the PENTAX K-70 camera, Ricoh Imaging is announcing the HD PENTAX-DA 55-300mm f/4.5-6.3ED PLM WR RE lens, a compact, weather-resistant telephoto zoom (see details in separate news release, also issued today); plus the Cable Switch CS-310, a remote shutter release designed especially for use with the K-70.
| Pricing and Availability |
Availability of the PENTAX K-70 camera, which comes in black and silky silver finishes, will be announced at the beginning of July. When available, it can be purchased at www.ricohimaging.com for $649.95, as well as at Ricoh Imaging-authorized retail outlets throughout North America.
Specifications:
PriceMSRP$649/£559 (body only), £799 (w/18-135mm lens)Body type
Body type Compact SLR
SensorMax resolution6000 x 4000Other resolutions4608 x 3072, 3072 x 2048, 1920 x 1280Image ratio w:h3:2
Effective pixels 24 megapixels
Sensor photo detectors 25 megapixels
Sensor sizeAPS-C (23.5 x 15.6 mm)
Sensor type CMOSProcessor PRIME MII
Color spacesRGB, AdobeRGBColor filter arrayPrimary color filterImage
ISO Auto, 100-102400
White balance presets8
Custom white balanceYes (3 slots)
Image stabilization Sensor-shift Image stabilization notes 4.5 stop correction
Uncompressed format RAW
JPEG quality levels Best, better, goodFile format
  • JPEG (Exif v2.3)
  • Raw (PEF or DNG)
Optics & FocusAutofocus
  • Contrast Detect (sensor)
  • Phase Detect
  • Multi-area
  • Center
  • Selective single-point
  • Tracking
  • Single
  • Continuous
  • Face Detection
  • Live View
Autofocus assist lamp Yes
Manual focus Yes
Number of focus points 11
Lens moun tPentax KAF2
Focal length multiplier1.5×
Screen / viewfinder Articulated LCD Fully articulated
Screen size3″Screen dots921,000
Touch screen No
Screen type TFT
LCD Live viewYes
Viewfinder type Optical (pentaprism)
Viewfinder coverage100%
Viewfinder magnification0.95×
Photography features
Minimum shutter speed 30 sec
Maximum shutter speed1/6000 sec

Exposure modes
  • Program
  • Shutter priority
  • Aperture priority
  • Shutter and aperture priority
  • Manual
Scene modes
  • Portrait
  • Landscape
  • Macro
  • Moving Object
  • Night Scene Portrait
  • Sunset
  • Blue Sky
  • Forest
  • Night Scene
  • Night Scene HDR
  • Night Snap
  • Food
  • Pet
  • Kids
  • Surf & Snow
  • Backlight Silhouette
  • Candlelight
  • Stage Lighting
  • Museum
Built-in flashYesFlash range12.00 m (at ISO 100)External flashYesFlash modes Auto, auto w/redeye reduction, flash on, flash + redeye reduction, slow sync, trailing curtain sync, manualFlash X sync speed1/180 secDrive modes
  • Single
  • Continuous
  • Self-timer
  • Remote control
  • Bracketing
  • Mirror-up
  • Multi-exposure
  • Interval shooting
  • Interval composite
  • Interval movie
  • Star stream
Continuous drive6.0 fpsSelf-timerYes (2 or 12 secs, continuous)Metering modes
  • Multi
  • Center-weighted
  • Spot
Exposure compensation±5 (at 1/3 EV, 1/2 EV steps)
AE Bracketing±5 (2, 3, 5 frames )

Videography features
Resolutions1920 x 1080 (60i, 50i, 30p, 25p, 24p), 1280 x 720 (60p, 50p)
FormatMPEG-4, H.264
Microphone Stereo
Speaker Mono
Storage
Storage typesSD/SDHC/SDXC (UHS-I compatible)

Connectivity
USB USB 2.0 (480 Mbit/sec)
HDMI Yes (mini-HDMI)
Microphone port Yes
Headphone port No
Wireless Built-InWireless 802.11b/g/n
Remote control Yes (wired or wireless)

Physical
Environmentally sealed Yes
Battery Battery PackBattery descriptionD-LI109 lithium-ion battery & chargerBattery Life (CIPA)410
Weight (inc. batteries)688 g (1.52 lb / 24.27 oz)
Dimensions126 x 93 x 74 mm (4.94 x 3.66 x 2.91″)

Other features
Orientation sensor Yes
Timelapse recording Yes
GPSOptionl GPS O-GPS1

Last edited by Imp; 06-08-2016 at 05:53 PM.
06-08-2016, 03:28 PM   #2
Veteran Member

No wireless flash control ? Well, it's a no go for me... Unless Pentax gives us a way to wirelessly control their flash without having to buy a 360 just to be used as a controler...
06-08-2016, 03:40 PM   #3
Pentaxian

No composition adjustment (like K-S2, but unlike K-50) another small bummer. Also looks like it'll be only black or "silky silver", at least at first...

EDIT: sounds like there'll be a cable release, for those wanting that.
06-08-2016, 03:45 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery
Interestingly it promotes better full HD video. "Flawless full HD movie clips" in 60i (meh) and 30p frames per second in the H.264 format (standard). This says very little in itself, through.

Together with the announced HD PENTAX-DA 55-300mm F4.5-6.3ED PLM WR RE or smc PENTAX-DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6ED AL[IF] DC WR lenses however, the K70 will have improved continous autofocus together with these lenses. Also extended aperture control in the former lens, which could be very nice.

If they implement Focus assist (zebra patterns) in live view for video and perhaps better compression through the codec, this could be an interesting option for those interested in video. Bring back mechanical IS and it will be their strongest competitor thus far. But none of these are mentioned so I will have to wait.

06-08-2016, 03:46 PM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by CarlJF Quote
No wireless flash control ? Well, it's a no go for me... Unless Pentax gives us a way to wirelessly control their flash without having to buy a 360 just to be used as a controler...
QuoteOriginally posted by Doundounba Quote
No composition adjustment (like K-S2, but unlike K-50) another small bummer. Also looks like it'll be only black or "silky silver", at least at first...

EDIT: sounds like there'll be a cable release, for those wanting that.
In the first half hour, two complaints. Punct.

I'm going to break the string.

I like the silver-and-black - it definitely harkens back to the pre-T-90 days.
I like the articulated screen.
I like the new sensor.
I like the Wifi {a year ago I wouldn't have said that, but increasingly I find myself using my K-30 to take pictures which I then send directly to my family via cell phone text message}

I bought my K-30 just a year ago, and because I'm a low volume shooter, I'm not expecting its aperture control to break anytime soon {if it did, I have several M42 lenses available}, but if I were in the market for a new camera, this one would definitely be attractive to me.

Last edited by reh321; 06-08-2016 at 03:50 PM. Reason: added comment about WiFi
06-08-2016, 03:53 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Was 5-shot bracketing with up to ±5 eV already in the K-S2 or is that new?
06-08-2016, 03:56 PM   #7
Pentaxian

So sensor AF will only work wel with selected lenses? Meh.

06-08-2016, 04:10 PM - 2 Likes   #8
Veteran Member

Ouch! 0.5mm away from a scratch.

Pentax really do need to stop making body designs with bits that closely overhang the lens mount.
06-08-2016, 04:14 PM   #9
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Just got an e-mail with pre-order for the K70 and the new 55-300 lens, from Adorama.
06-08-2016, 04:53 PM   #10
Imp
Pentaxian

Original Poster
no-one has said it yet: DOOMED!

I think now days we're feeling a lot happier and lot less inclined to say it. Although we must not stop the tradition!
06-08-2016, 04:54 PM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
Just got an e-mail with pre-order for the K70 and the new 55-300 lens, from Adorama.
At amazon, order price is $614.63 (it does not say pre-order but temporarily out of stock):

http://www.amazon.com/Pentax-K-70-body-silver-Weather/dp/B01GHVIUNE%3FSubscr...N%3DB01GHVIUNE

(that's the dpreview link)

The savings are compensated by the taxes though ...
06-08-2016, 04:59 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
If they had put a top LCD display on this thing, I'd probably be looking at my K-5II replacement, 2 years in advance. But they didn't. This camera seems like an awesome way to modernize the K-S2 and K-50 at once. Curious what Ricoh does with Pentax next; not very excited about that 55-300 RE, but maybe there's still some gas in the tank for a killer prime or two before the year is up.
06-08-2016, 05:01 PM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
So sensor AF will only work wel with selected lenses? Meh.
I am sorry, where did it say that?

Steve
06-08-2016, 05:03 PM   #14
Site Supporter

I'm usually not a silver camera type o dude, but I the look on this one.

Eric
06-08-2016, 05:05 PM   #15
Pentaxian

I'm still hoping for more powerful lens than the 55-300. Maybe an 80-400. Just dreaming out loud again.