Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 98 Likes Search this Thread
08-03-2016, 12:44 PM - 1 Like   #226
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Dipsoid Quote
Honestly, I don't get "this". If a user is disappointed in Pentax not having a feature, people say "get another camera for that" yeah and everyone wants to spend thousands of dollars on camera equipment, especially when an entry level canon blows Pentax video quality out of the water. If Pentax wants to remain relevant, they must compete with the market and make their cameras more competent for video. In this day and age the market demands cameras to be stills AND video focused. There's less and less room in the market for a stills focused cameras, just like there's little room for a "call focused" cell phone. Look at Fuji, the other "stills focused" camera manufacturer, they know what's going on and have decided to up the ante in their video features. Requesting Pentax do the same is not "complaining" it's a legitimate criticism. I love my Pentax camera, I would like to stick with them for many rewards, it would be a shame to see them head towards the sunset because they can't adapt to the changing times. I'm not saying Pentax is doomed, I think they'll be around for a very long time. I think they'll just continue to become more and more niche.
Your reality may vary, but I don't think still photography with a consumer grade video option is a "niche". How many Pentaxians have ever felt the need to take a serious video with their camera? I haven't. If I did, I'd get a serious video camera not a hybrid with somewhat better video than a Pentax.

There is a reason, I suspect, why Pentax is able to deliver very good value at each price point in their cameras. It is through focusing on what they do best as opposed to spreading out across everything half-assed. Cameras that do everything well are available, just at much higher price points.

08-03-2016, 12:59 PM - 1 Like   #227
Veteran Member

Honestly, I don't get "this". If a user is disappointed in Pentax not having a feature, people say "get another camera for that" yeah and everyone wants to spend thousands of dollars on camera equipment, especially when an entry level canon blows Pentax video quality out of the water. If Pentax wants to remain relevant, they must compete with the market and make their cameras more competent for video. In this day and age the market demands cameras to be stills AND video focused. There's less and less room in the market for a stills focused cameras, just like there's little room for a "call focused" cell phone. Look at Fuji, the other "stills focused" camera manufacturer, they know what's going on and have decided to up the ante in their video features. Requesting Pentax do the same is not "complaining" it's a legitimate criticism. I love my Pentax camera, I would like to stick with them for many rewards, it would be a shame to see them head towards the sunset because they can't adapt to the changing times. I'm not saying Pentax is doomed, I think they'll be around for a very long time. I think they'll just continue to become more and more niche.
Then again if a camera has to do both and Pentax can't do that and you want one that does both that every other manufacter provide... Then buy from them. Go for Canon or whoever else that fit the bill. That's has simple as that.

This is just a brand. Nobody will kill you if you take a Canon instead of Pentax. Nobody care I think not even Pentax otherwise they would have made something that match this holy graal of still and video camera you speak off.

Actually the thing is Pentax can't even keep up producing enough K1 that are far from being the ideal sitll and video hybrid many would like. So you see they no much incentive to change... Why would they?
08-03-2016, 01:08 PM   #228
Pentaxian

In terms of video capabilities, i so much understand why people do stick with their i-phone 6s......
I do not see much interest for Pentax to stick with their basic video functions either, andf i'm confident K-70 is a good starting point : let's wait for real tests.
08-03-2016, 01:13 PM - 2 Likes   #229
Veteran Member

Yep Pentax camera can't do any video obviously...

08-03-2016, 02:29 PM   #230
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
Yep Pentax camera can't do any video obviously...

Marie-Ange Casta by Benjamin Kanarek for Grazia - YouTube
Are you suggesting that Benjamin used a Pentax for this vid? I know he used to use a K-01 for some video back when he was using Pentax gear professionally...
08-03-2016, 03:18 PM   #231
mee
Veteran Member

I'm more interested in the senor and electronics in the K-70... what is the DR compared to a K-3 II at ISO 100?
08-03-2016, 03:44 PM - 1 Like   #232

QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
Then again if a camera has to do both and Pentax can't do that and you want one that does both that every other manufacter provide... Then buy from them. Go for Canon or whoever else that fit the bill. That's has simple as that.

This is just a brand. Nobody will kill you if you take a Canon instead of Pentax. Nobody care I think not even Pentax otherwise they would have made something that match this holy graal of still and video camera you speak off.

Actually the thing is Pentax can't even keep up producing enough K1 that are far from being the ideal sitll and video hybrid many would like. So you see they no much incentive to change... Why would they?
I wasn't talking about some holy grail camera, I was talking about a camera that is competent at video. I don't want to buy into Canon, their body designs are awful, their lenses are cheaply built, and they're way more expensive. I like Pentax, for the most part they focus on features I like. Again, deflecting legitimate criticism with "buy another brand" isn't helpful. There's room to wish for improvement in critical areas while still loving the cameras that they make.

QuoteOriginally posted by jgnfld Quote
Your reality may vary, but I don't think still photography with a consumer grade video option is a "niche". How many Pentaxians have ever felt the need to take a serious video with their camera? I haven't. If I did, I'd get a serious video camera not a hybrid with somewhat better video than a Pentax.

There is a reason, I suspect, why Pentax is able to deliver very good value at each price point in their cameras. It is through focusing on what they do best as opposed to spreading out across everything half-assed. Cameras that do everything well are available, just at much higher price points.
I have felt the need to use my camera for serious video through work. More and more wedding photographers are also focusing on videography. Not many Pentaxians have done anything serious video-wise with their cameras because they simply can't make serious videos, as the video quality is terrible. What I'm saying is that Pentax video is barely consumer-grade, and is falling to the wayside. I agree with you on what Pentax does well. I like their features, I appreciate their ergonomics, I like their lenses, and I like the culture. The problem, is Pentax's video implementation is currently half-assed. A Sony or Canon at the same price bracket as Pentax has much, much, much better video quality. There's nothing wrong with wishing for our favorite brand to improve where they're lacking.

08-03-2016, 03:54 PM   #233
Loyal Site Supporter

I have felt the need to use my camera for serious video through work. More and more wedding photographers are also focusing on videography. Not many Pentaxians have done anything serious video-wise with their cameras because they simply can't make serious videos, as the video quality is terrible. What I'm saying is that Pentax video is barely consumer-grade, and is falling to the wayside. I agree with you on what Pentax does well. I like their features, I appreciate their ergonomics, I like their lenses, and I like the culture. The problem, is Pentax's video implementation is currently half-assed. A Sony or Canon at the same price bracket as Pentax has much, much, much better video quality. There's nothing wrong with wishing for our favorite brand to improve where they're lacking.
But, I submit, those cameras have much poorer still quality at equivalent price points in terms of the whole package including WR..
08-03-2016, 04:03 PM   #234

QuoteOriginally posted by jgnfld Quote
But, I submit, those cameras have much poorer still quality at equivalent price points in terms of the whole package including WR..
I would say the say quality is comparable for canon depending on the lens, Sony you're forced to either adapt our use incredibly expensive full frame lenses. I'm not trying to argue the benefits of each brand and compare specs. All I'm saying is its fair to say Pentax video features and quality are particularly bad and wish for improvement, and deflecting the criticism with "buy another brand" is unhelpful.
08-03-2016, 07:32 PM   #235
Imp
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Not this argument again! Thank you dispsoid for making sense. No way I am getting any other brand dslr. I will be waiting for Pentax to have a decent video dslr, and I'll hang on to my k30 until then. Maybe adapt lenses to m43 if not? But I would really rather not.
08-03-2016, 09:11 PM   #236
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Imp Quote
Not this argument again! Thank you dispsoid for making sense. No way I am getting any other brand dslr. I will be waiting for Pentax to have a decent video dslr, and I'll hang on to my k30 until then. Maybe adapt lenses to m43 if not? But I would really rather not.
What if they continue to go down the path they continue to state they want to continue down on (video is secondary to stills) ?

If I was serious about video, I'd find a brand that is serious about video..
08-03-2016, 09:22 PM   #237
Pentaxian

I would say the say quality is comparable for canon depending on the lens, Sony you're forced to either adapt our use incredibly expensive full frame lenses. I'm not trying to argue the benefits of each brand and compare specs. All I'm saying is its fair to say Pentax video features and quality are particularly bad and wish for improvement, and deflecting the criticism with "buy another brand" is unhelpful.
For some time now, I've been arguing against the "perfect camera for all tasks" myth. Pentax may have figured out that including class-leading video will interfere with other goals they have. It is entirely likely that the best video camera has other weaknesses. and ultimately you have to decide what is most important to you;
08-03-2016, 10:28 PM   #238
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by shiner Quote
Are you suggesting that Benjamin used a Pentax for this vid? I know he used to use a K-01 for some video back when he was using Pentax gear professionally...
He did use a K3. He also explained that all his video were done with K3, K5, Kx or K01. He used a Nikon for shooting the still. He must know not his stuff at all. And the guys that given him price for the best fashion video must be a buit limited too to give to somebody that used Pentax gear for video.
08-03-2016, 10:31 PM   #239
Veteran Member

I wasn't talking about some holy grail camera, I was talking about a camera that is competent at video. I don't want to buy into Canon, their body designs are awful, their lenses are cheaply built, and they're way more expensive. I like Pentax, for the most part they focus on features I like. Again, deflecting legitimate criticism with "buy another brand" isn't helpful. There's room to wish for improvement in critical areas while still loving the cameras that they make.
Man don't play on words. You understood the point. Pentax doesn't make what you ask. Again they are free to do what they like/want. Like you.

If you still use Pentax knowing the limitations this is YOUR problem. Not Pentax problem.

You explain that there other cameras that do a goood job at it, Get one of them and stop complaining or don't get one of them and stop explaining they are so much better.
08-03-2016, 11:24 PM   #240
Pentaxian

I agree Nicolas, there's a difference btw somehow "chronical geekerie", and best use of available though "limited" technology.
The main limitation with Pentax video beeing heavy rolling shutter, imho