Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 21 Likes Search this Thread
06-13-2016, 09:14 PM   #31
Veteran Member

The K-70 'accelerator' chip could just be a RAM bank, for all we know. Although only a 'dumb' chip, it could still 'accelerate' things quite usefully.

In looking at some of the images of the iFixit tear-down of the Olympus Pen EPL-7 that Dpreview recently featured, the big secondary chip on the main board from Elpida is just a DDR RAM chip (according to the part numbering convention used by Elpida). Scratch off the 'Pentax' logo masking the top of the K-70 'accelerator' chip, and it could easily turn out to be the same sort of chip.

06-14-2016, 07:55 AM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by AggieDad Quote
Is all this new computing power going to result in a perfect capture every time? I mean exquisite (golden hour style) lighting, elegant framing, and perfectly timed wildlife shots.

If so, I'm all in. If not, maybe I'll just stay with my K-5IIs.
The claim is that it helps in reducing noise.
I believe that it is there to make the higher ISO settings useable.
The proof will be in results from early adopters.

There would be no reason for you to get a "lesser" camera.
You didn't upgrade to K-3 or K-3ii, so there is no reason to expect you to "upgrade" to K-70, or even to whatever follows K-3ii, probably later this year.
If you are satisfied with what you have, you are allowed to continue to use it until a motor dies.

Others of us are allowed to feel differently.
06-14-2016, 12:06 PM   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
If you are satisfied with what you have, you are allowed to continue to use it until a motor dies.
That is quite likely very soon if you are lucky enough to have a K-30...
06-14-2016, 12:38 PM - 1 Like   #34
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
When you hang around forums problems with certain models are extremely magnified. Not nearly every K-30 develops this problem.

06-14-2016, 01:17 PM - 1 Like   #35
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
When you hang around forums problems with certain models are extremely magnified. Not nearly every K-30 develops this problem.
Mine did.

More chance of it happening if you have a K-30 than if not.
06-14-2016, 01:26 PM   #36
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by richandfleur Quote
That is quite likely very soon if you are lucky enough to have a K-30...
QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
The originally-reported problem with K-30 / 50 cameras was with the aperture control mechanism; having read lots of posts on the subject, I believe they had a quality-control problem. Later, we started hearing problems with motors - I believe some of the reports came from people who tried to use the camera, despite the control issue, and their "kluges" put an extra strain on the aperture motor. Other reported problems seem to come from people who expect the same endurance from a consumer-grade camera that you routinely get from a professional-grade camera. For example, surveying my saved files, I find that I take maybe 500 pictures a year, virtually never using burst mode; at my rate of photography, it would take me over ten years to reach a shutter count of 7K, but those who have their K-50 die at 7K list this as a unexpected failure.

The truth is that we have no reliable statistics, no way of knowing what the probability is of a K-50 or K-S2 failing at any particular point. My approach is to keep an M42-mount kit with me and hope I don't need it.
06-14-2016, 02:56 PM   #37
Forum Member

Original Poster
The K-30 is more durable than that. I have already shot more than 24.000 Pictures in about 2,5 Years. Mostly high continous shooting.

07-02-2016, 02:03 AM   #38
Veteran Member

All in all, the only thing this kind of thing provide is more processing power, maybe dedicated to specific tasks, but it just make things faster. You computer at home likely it is much more capable and honestly if the export with NR applied take 10 seconds of a 4 core 3Ghz CPU, who care?

We can think it go further to what Dxo, Lightroom and other are able to extract from a RAW, we can even think it is kind of thing that participate to the raw creation itself improving things in a way that couldn't be done after. Both would really increase image quality. Or quite valuable in its own right it could just pre process raws or JPEG to make them more pleasant while not doing anything really that different than you could do with your own post processing software, meaning it save time or reduce need for advanced post processing tool, but doesn't really alter the actual quality of picture we are accustomed to see.
08-06-2016, 01:04 AM - 1 Like   #39

Just got my K-70 yesterday so when I get bored I'll take it to pieces and see what's inside. Watch this space
08-06-2016, 01:48 AM   #40
Pentaxian

Now this feature excites me. I hope this will make new APSC cameras capable of taking noise free images at ISO 3200. Just dreaming out loud again.
08-06-2016, 03:21 AM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
I hope this will make new APSC cameras capable of taking noise free images at ISO 3200.
You can do that today with any APS-C.

Pretty much all you have to do is light up the scene very brightly. Mainly in poor light do you see IQ significantly and visibly start to fall apart at higher ISO's.

In particular, if you shoot flash, and accidentally leave the auto-ISO on (like I have a few times ), as long as the highlights aren't totally blown away, ISO 3200 and above can look perfectly OK on K-3/K-5.
08-06-2016, 05:23 AM   #42
Pentaxian

Yes rawr, it will be okay at high light. However, it's high ISO low light that I want Pentax to improve on.
08-06-2016, 08:11 AM   #43
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
All in all, the only thing this kind of thing provide is more processing power, maybe dedicated to specific tasks, but it just make things faster. You computer at home likely it is much more capable and honestly if the export with NR applied take 10 seconds of a 4 core 3Ghz CPU, who care?

We can think it go further to what Dxo, Lightroom and other are able to extract from a RAW, we can even think it is kind of thing that participate to the raw creation itself improving things in a way that couldn't be done after. Both would really increase image quality. Or quite valuable in its own right it could just pre process raws or JPEG to make them more pleasant while not doing anything really that different than you could do with your own post processing software, meaning it save time or reduce need for advanced post processing tool, but doesn't really alter the actual quality of picture we are accustomed to see.
You keep focusing on those of you who can use PP at home; what I hear about are those who take pictures at sports venues and want good images immediately, SOOC.
08-06-2016, 09:02 AM   #44
Veteran Member

You keep focusing on those of you who can use PP at home; what I hear about are those who take pictures at sports venues and want good images immediately, SOOC.
Even with post processing at home and f/2.8 on APSC, this is FAR from easy and that 2EV more you can keep iso 400 when you be at iso 1600 iso with a slow lens or at iso 1600 when you'd be iso 6400 with a slow lens. And already it far from easy working at high shutter speed action/sport require and low light.

You'll get much better improvement on SOOC JPEG with an f/2.8 lens and a bit older gear than with latest APSC body and a variable apperture zoom. In term of prices that may be actually cheaper too.
08-06-2016, 09:05 AM   #45
Veteran Member

Even with post processing at home and f/2.8 on APSC, this is FAR from easy and that 2EV more you can keep iso 400 when you be at iso 1600 iso with a slow lens or at iso 1600 when you'd be iso 6400 with a slow lens. And already it far from easy working at high shutter speed action/sport require and low light.

You'll get much better improvement on SOOC JPEG with an f/2.8 lens and a bit older gear than with latest APSC body and a variable apperture zoom. In term of prices that may be actually cheaper too.

Noticably the K70 AF isn't any better from Pentax Forum review than KS2, so time worse than a K3. And so with that K70 + 55-300 in low light you would get not only lot of noise but also lot of miss focussed shot when shooting action. That's not for a good experience and that promise a disaster for the SOOC jpegs.