Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
So kind of like a graphics card

06-13-2016, 07:34 AM - 1 Like   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
So kind of like a graphics card
Yes, in electronics-talk, "accelerator" normally has nothing to do with physical movement;
it is a chip that does some action {usually calculations} faster in dedicated hardware than could be done using software on existing general-purpose hardware.
06-13-2016, 07:41 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by richandfleur Quote
Presently the movie SR doesn't use the movement data available to the mechanical SR system, so it only detects motion based on what's moved on the visual image.
That would be an Electronic Floating of the image - moving about the crop window, with the accelerometer input, that 'could' be a digital facsimile of the SensorShift,... But that should be how it's done now.

But why go to all that effort when they could just switch the sensor shift back on and get superior results?
06-13-2016, 07:50 AM - 1 Like   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by PiDicus Rex Quote
That would be an Electronic Floating of the image - moving about the crop window, with the accelerometer input, that 'could' be a digital facsimile of the SensorShift,... But that should be how it's done now.

But why go to all that effort when they could just switch the sensor shift back on and get superior results?
Are we confusing the new "accelerator" with an "accelerometer"?
{as I noted in the post just before yours, "accelerator" usually refers to hardware specialized to do a task faster than it could be done by software running on a general-purpose processor}

06-13-2016, 09:31 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Where are kenspo and a-man when we need them?!?

---------- Post added 06-13-16 at 08:32 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Are we confusing the new "accelerator" with an "accelerometer"?
{as I noted in the post just before yours, "accelerator" usually refers to hardware specialized to do a task faster than it could be done by software running on a general-purpose processor}
It says something about NR in the sentence, that's what is causing all the speculation.
06-13-2016, 10:54 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Second that.. where is Mr. Kenspo?
06-13-2016, 11:05 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Kenspo has to work you know

https://www.facebook.com/kenspo?fref=ts

06-13-2016, 11:05 AM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Would be cool if this sped up distortion correction!
If there is no real explanation in the forums here in the next time, I suggest you take this question for the next Photokina interview, as it is completely non-polictical or future product related and just a technical explanation thing - they should be able and willing to explain it.

There are just too many - in essence good and nice - things they have made but poorly document and explain their use to us. My favorite example is all the program lines. Try find someone who can explain the difference between "auto" and "normal".
06-13-2016, 11:10 AM - 1 Like   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jimr-pdx Quote
It says something about NR in the sentence, that's what is causing all the speculation.
Bringing this discussion back to earth: We won't know anything for certain until some of us actually have these units in our hands, so anything is speculation at this point, but I believe the following points are a reasonable way of thinking about Noise Reduction on the K-70:

(1) The K-70 is providing "insanely high" ISO values.

(2) Most of us will expect ISO values above some point to create very "noisy" images

(3) Someone who is expecting "noisy" images will include NR is his/her Lightroom / Raw Therapee workflow

(4) Anything you can do in Lightroom / Raw Therapee can be done in camera if sufficient processing power is available
{in fact, prodigious processing power is the primary reason cell phone cameras are making so much progress}

(5) One way to give the camera greater utility would be to give it the capability to clean up some of its own noise

(6) combining (4) and (5), the "accelerator" most likely is a special processor to augment the primary in-camera processor by cleaning up images because the primary in-camera processor {aka PRIME MII imaging engine} just isn't up to that task.

Because of words in the post which started this thread:
QuoteQuote:
thanks to the combination of the PRIME MII imaging engine and a newly developed accelerator unit that effectively suppresses noise, the PENTAX K-70 assures true-to-life rendition of gradation and texture at all sensitivity levels
this logic path is presumably what led to the very second post in this thread
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Oh wow, looks like a new NR system. I guess NR was done by the main chip previously, and will now be done by a dedicated chip. This could speed things up and improve how photos look. I wonder how much this affects raw photos, or if its just for jpegs and video.
{and we've been wandering all over since then}

Added thought: and if this works even half as well as I expect it to, I hope it is included on every Pentax camera from now on!!

Last edited by reh321; 06-13-2016 at 11:16 AM. Reason: added thought
06-13-2016, 12:55 PM   #25
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Agree, it's all ambiguous and speculation. Agree accelerator and accelerometer are two different things. Pentax has had a few lost in translation moments in the past, so it's anyone's guess.

I agree about doing it in camera, but also stop to mention that any processing undertaken post taking of the shot that can be done in camera, can be done with more control in post production software, such as controlling exactly which areas of the image receive differing degrees of noise reduction etc.

Pentax has a boat load of post shot development options, but I don't use any of them personally. I'm never using in camera HDR, or any of the filter effects etc. And I won't use the intervalometer as it has just stopped on my for no reason one too many times.

In essence I would support Pentax directing more development effort into pre and actual shot taking technologies (Real stabilisation like the k-x, k-7, k-5 HAD for example), rather than after effects, which I accept may not suit others.
06-13-2016, 01:08 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Man, it would be great to know some more details about what this will actually allow. Will it merely speed up photo encoding, will it improve the effectiveness of NR and other functions, will it add completely new functions? It could be really exciting, or it could be just another marketing buzzword that has little real life value to serious hobbyists and pros
06-13-2016, 01:42 PM   #27
Banned

You expect way to much.
06-13-2016, 02:50 PM - 1 Like   #28
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
If there is no real explanation in the forums here in the next time, I suggest you take this question for the next Photokina interview, as it is completely non-polictical or future product related and just a technical explanation thing - they should be able and willing to explain it.

There are just too many - in essence good and nice - things they have made but poorly document and explain their use to us. My favorite example is all the program lines. Try find someone who can explain the difference between "auto" and "normal".
It would definitely be worth asking, but I'm willing to bet all they'll say is that it improves image processing. The in-depth review is what will reveal the difference, if any.

There probably isn't much more to it than that- marketing speak for yet another chip improvement. Similar to what Apple does with their constantly-evolving chips

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-13-2016, 05:21 PM - 1 Like   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Is all this new computing power going to result in a perfect capture every time? I mean exquisite (golden hour style) lighting, elegant framing, and perfectly timed wildlife shots.

If so, I'm all in. If not, maybe I'll just stay with my K-5IIs.
06-13-2016, 06:25 PM   #30
mee
Veteran Member

Didn't they show a new NR algo and processing along with this chip?