Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-22-2016, 12:38 PM   #61
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
At imaging resource you can already compare. Imaging Resource "Comparometer" ā„¢ Digital Camera Image Comparison Page

This is the K70 (top) vs the K-3 II (bottom) at iso 51.200 The K-70 has a much cleaner look without any loss of detail. (right click and view image for a larger view).
And that K3 with DxO Prime, no special optimization or tweaking, just checking the option and exporting to websize and recompressed by PentaxForum... The good thing is the K70 is a big improvement for JPEG, but this only really apply if you use JPEGs.

08-22-2016, 02:37 PM   #62
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I believe they all have the socionext m7-m Ricoh just calls them different because of firmware differences. You can tell by the video specs.
08-22-2016, 03:23 PM   #63
Pentaxian

That's an intriguing thought... but I don't think so - the PRIME MII is older, and it needs a separate, hardware "accelerator unit" (they're showing pictures of it).
08-22-2016, 04:23 PM   #64
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
That's an intriguing thought... but I don't think so - the PRIME MII is older, and it needs a separate, hardware "accelerator unit" (they're showing pictures of it).
I don't think that the K 70 needs the accelerator but future K models will use it to offload the cpu of complex tasks that the cpu can't keep up with. Things like 2-D convolution, 2-D interpolation,... A future K1 might learn how to un-shake the leaves in Pixel Shift Resolution. Who knows?
The present cpu is one of these: http://www.socionext.com/en/products/assp/milbeaut

Look at bottom diagram on this page: http://www.socionext.com/en/products/customsoc/
Just an example but see 2-D and 3-D graphics processor.

RONC

Last edited by rechmbrs; 08-22-2016 at 04:49 PM.
08-22-2016, 04:42 PM - 2 Likes   #65
Veteran Member

I believe they all have the socionext m7-m
Now there is the currently shipping Socionext M-8M to look forward to in future Pentaxes.
From a press release late last year:

QuoteQuote:
With the newest evolution of Socionext’s Milbeaut™ image processors, the M8M (MB86S27), the strategic partnership of Socionext and FotoNation is enhanced through Socionext’s utilization of FotoNation’s latest generation Advanced Hardware for Image Processing (AHIP™) system, a unique approach to computer vision and image processing. The latest generation of AHIP achieves outstanding video image stabilization, smart geometric correction for large field of view lenses, face detection and recognition, and tracking results that go beyond previous performance levels, and these features align to optimize the system requirements for cameras. Significant advances include:

- High-accuracy, high-speed face and eye detection
- Next-generation facial recognition
- Unparalleled ability to select multiple areas of interest and obtain simultaneous, high quality, undistorted images and videos
- Increased distance-to-subject performance
- Increased detection angle precision
- Wide-angle lens support
- Native motion detection
And 4K video at 30 fps, with low-power usage.

A future K-3 III and K-1 II will probably make use of this M-8M Milbeaut, I bet.
08-22-2016, 07:28 PM   #66
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Now there is the currently shipping Socionext M-8M to look forward to in future Pentaxes.
From a press release late last year:

And 4K video at 30 fps, with low-power usage.

A future K-3 III and K-1 II will probably make use of this M-8M Milbeaut, I bet.
It would not surprise me at all to learn the K-3III has been held until the M8-M is available.
08-22-2016, 10:34 PM   #67
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
It would not surprise me at all to learn the K-3III has been held until the M8-M is available.
And it would not hurt the sales that much this years... Some people might have decided for a K1 instead as no new APSC flagship appeared yet. In particular if the APSC flagship has some unique features not found of the K1, letting the K1 some time make sense.

08-23-2016, 12:58 AM   #68
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Or that it will run the same processor as the K-1.
08-23-2016, 01:58 AM   #69
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
I was already expecting it in the K-1 it has been available from fall 2015. Hence new camera's sporting 4K 30p. It will be the basis for the next generation aps-c I guess
08-23-2016, 11:30 AM   #70
Veteran Member

I was already expecting it in the K-1 it has been available from fall 2015. Hence new camera's sporting 4K 30p. It will be the basis for the next generation aps-c I guess
Make sense, K1 was kind of old project a bit late on schedule, so it didn't use the latest processor. But whatever the solution choosed by Pentax, it will tried on that K70 and next APSC flagship so that the next FF benefit of it too.

If you never try, you never get anything done .

At the moment I'd expect Pentax to try to get the most of that accelerator unit as well as on the PDAF on the sensor... They are also very likely to work on the latest m8 if they didn't decide for a different architecture (separated accelerator unit). As for 4K, this is become more and more important, maybe not to have a great implementation, but to have a 4K mode available so that the camera doesn't get bad reviews and feedback because of that... Likely most sensor with right processing unit can handle that now.

Last edited by Nicolas06; 08-23-2016 at 11:36 AM.
08-24-2016, 09:40 AM   #71
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Yep, but the sensor needs to be able to.
The K1 is not AFAIK, new chip would not a change a thing.
08-24-2016, 11:27 AM   #72
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Yep, but the sensor needs to be able to.
The K1 is not AFAIK, new chip would not a change a thing.
For K1: In term of bandwidth 4.5image/second in burst mode mean 162MP/s for readout. This mean 20FPS for 4Kp or 40FPS for 4K interlaced.
For K3: 8.3FPS with 24MP mean 200MP/s so that 25FPS in 4K progressive or 50FPS in 4K interlaced.

I don't say this would be really possible, but even if the sensor are not 4K capable it look like not much would be resquired to make them capable of at least an interlaced mode.
08-24-2016, 01:23 PM   #73
Pentaxian

or 60 fps 1080p at least. The focus is not on video so they just used the m7-m They need to cut somewhere to be able to price so competitively they value build and wr and all the other Pentax advantages more than video performance. It will come just 1,5 to 2 years later than the competition.
08-24-2016, 01:40 PM   #74
Pentaxian

Nicolas - in terms of sensor readout rates I agree, it doesn't seems that much is required. This is a bit academic though, as the sensor is not capable of 4K; so a new sensor (perhaps the existing 42MP one), capable of 4K and with pixel binning or interpolation (as opposed to skipping pixels which gives a lower quality) would be required anyway.

But, going back to bandwidth, the problem - as you noted - is not transferring the data from the sensor to RAM; but processing&compressing it on the flight. Milbeaut m8-m? Still feasible with available components (though not at K-1 prices)

Do a 4K RAW-capable camera, and you add the very nasty issue of writing data to storage really fast - this is the only situation where transfer rates would be an issue. I don't think Pentax would attempt this anytime soon.
08-24-2016, 03:06 PM - 1 Like   #75
Pentaxian

dpreview comparison: Pentax K-70 added to studio test scene: Digital Photography Review