06-15-2016, 08:27 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Now let's see if they also have an adapter for 110 film

06-15-2016, 08:48 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Except for the price, of course, I *totally* love this !!!
06-15-2016, 10:52 AM   #18
Banned

Did anyone ever buy the previous one? That was so expensive.
06-15-2016, 11:25 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Didn't they release that around the time the 646z was released? ]
This is a new, upgraded version that holds larger film:

QuoteQuote:
Retaining all the convenient features of the PENTAX FILM DUPLICATOR (launched in May 2014), this accessory increases the maximum size of the images to be digitalized to the professional-standard 4x5 format (100mm by 125mm), from the previous 6x9 format (60mm by 90mm).

06-15-2016, 10:33 PM   #20

Has anyone used a Bowens Illumitran Slide Copier for digital copy of slides and negatives? These units were made for 35mm film cameras and can be picked up on ebay. Just attach a digital body and use the original Schneider copy lenses and the built in flash tube. See for info: Slide Copying FAQs
06-15-2016, 11:07 PM   #21
Pentaxian

I can see this being useful for some people but the price is absolutely ridiculous.
06-16-2016, 12:20 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
What camera is this designed for?
That's going to depend on your lens. To get 100% frame coverage when duplicating a 35mm negative onto APS-C, you need to multiply the normal focal length by 50%, so let's call it 75mm. That gives you a 100% reproduction without cropping. I use an 85mm enlarging lens to duplicate 35mm negatives with my K-3. That allows me a bit more focusing play but almost maxes out my bellows extension (Pentax Auto Bellows 2.)

Assuming that relationship holds up when going to larger formats, you'd need to know the crop factor from 4X5 to APS-C. So let's say that a 180mm lens on 4X5 is roughly equivalent to a 50mm on 35mm. Given that a normal lens on APS-C is 30mm, for easy math, that means your crop factor from 4X5 to APS-C is 6. So you'd need to use a 1,080mm lens for your macro duplication to obtain full image coverage in one frame.

Since that seems highly unrealistic, the question becomes as what distance is a 4X5 frame the entire field of view for a 50mm lens. That distance is a round 27 inches when using the 50mm lens on an APS-C. Going wider, say a close-focusing 28mm lens shortens that distance but would introduce color drop-off and field distortion.

So I have no idea how that duplicator is going to work. When I duplicate 4X5 negatives I pull my K-3 to the top of my 36" macro copying riser and photograph the negative in a tensioned 4X5 easel (I use a 50mm macro lens, with a 35mm macro lens that distance may be reducable by up to 9 inches [27/3] or 18 inches from the negative.)

Technique diversion: To get the best light I put two sources in a white Tupperware, put a sheet of white acrylic on top of it, put four two-inch spacers on that (each corner) and then put a second sheet of white acrylic on the spacers. This delivers a nice,diffuse light that eliminates hot spots from the CFL spiral. The easel rests onto top of the second acrylic sheet so that the negative doesn't touch the sheet, avoiding interference lines in the image. (I use a similar process for medium format negatives but with less camera lift.)

I suppose that unit could extend to 18 inches, but it's really stumping me how this will work with how compact it is.

06-16-2016, 12:20 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

prices always have been ridiculous, but it's great seeing Ricoh/Pentax getting back to full SLR system back-up, like in the old film (Pentax) days
06-16-2016, 08:28 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There are two different models on the Ricoh Store website. I copied and pasted their descriptions into Google Translate and this is what came back (I bolded the product names to make it easier to differentiate them):

PENTAX FILM DUPLICATOR 4x5 (Pentax film duplicator 4x5)
Suggested retail price: Open price JAN code 4549212 298127 (MTO)

A positive film or negative film shot with silver-halide film camera, a digital SLR camera and macro lens, external accessories of the film for a copy that can be easily digital data in combination with a flash.

Examples used in PENTAX 645Z
※ camera, lens, flash, cables are not included in the product.

<Main Features>
· 35 mm format up to 4x5-size, for a wide range of film formats.
• Even warped film narrowing seen 狹 in the film holder accessory, can be photographed in the flat.
- Compared with reading by a scanner, greatly reducing the time required.
- Because it uses you have a digital camera, easy operation of the shooting and image editing.
- Image part not only can be recorded until the shooting information of the film outside the frame, convenient for data management.

<Notes>
· 70mm copy of the film can not be.
Lens outside diameter is more than 110mm lens can not be used.
And distance from the bottom of the camera to the optical axis (the center of the lens) camera, which is more than 105mm can not be used.
- To perform and appropriate color correction to a captured image, you need a separate image processing software.

<Specifications>
Supported Cameras: interchangeable lens type digital camera (recommended a high-pixel camera)
Recommended camera PENTAX 645Z, PENTAX K-1, PENTAX K-3 / K-3Ⅱ etc.
Lens: lens suitable for resolution to the excellent close-up shots (recommended macro lens)
Recommended lens
K-1, K-3 / K-3Ⅱ when using HD PENTAX-DA 35mmF2.8 Macro Limited
smc PENTAX-D FA MACRO 50mmF2.8
smc PENTAX-D FA MACRO 100mmF2.8 WR, etc.
645Z, when 645D use HD PENTAX-D FA645 MACRO 90mmF2.8ED AW SR
Such as smc PENTAX FA645 MACRO 120mmF4
Recommended light source: auto flash (on the camera side dimmable ones)
Recommended lens
Auto flash PENTAX AF540FGZⅡ
Such as auto flash PENTAX AF360FGZⅡ
Body:
The minimum size of the external dimensions of about 650mm (length) × 248mm (width) × 325mm (height) ※ stowed
When using the maximum length of about 1210mm
Bellows a maximum length of about 570mm
Mass (weight) about 5,200g (not including the film holder)
Film holder:
Dimensions approximately 307mm (length) × 140mm (width) × 15mm (thickness)
Mass (weight) about 925g (including one film adapter)
accessories:

Film holder 4x5
The film adapter and sets scissors the original film.
Interference fringe is using the hard anti-glare glass out.

4x5 film adapter
Use the 4x5-size original plate to set the film holder.

120/220 film adapter
Use the 120/220-size original plate to set the film holder.

35 mm film adapter
Use the 35 mm format original plate to set the film holder.

PENTAX FILM DUPLICATOR (Pentax film duplicator)
Suggested retail price: Open price JAN code 4549212 276545

PENTAX FILM DUPLICATOR (Pentax film duplicator)
A positive film or negative film shot with silver-halide film camera, digital single-lens camera and macro lens, external flash in combination with easily digital data can be accessories for the film copy.

Example of the use of in the PENTAX K-3
※ camera, flash, cables are not included in the product.

<Main Features>
· Compared to the reading by the scanner, you can significantly reduce the time required.
- Because it uses you have a digital camera, no hesitation in shooting and image editing operations.
- From 35 mm to 69-size, it supports a wide range of film formats.
- Image part not only can be recorded until the shooting information of the film outside the frame, it is useful for data management.

<Notes>
· 70mm copy of the film can not be.
- The upper limit of the outer diameter of the lens is 90mm. You can not use the size of the lens more than this.
- The bottom of the camera - the optical axis camera distance of up to (the center of the lens) is more than 95mm can not be used.
- To perform and appropriate color correction to a captured image, you need a separate image processing software.