Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
06-16-2016, 06:00 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Ricoh buys Eye Fi

Just got the email. Bold move on Ricoh's part. Hopefully this means more forward looking moves on their part in future. Great news and longevity prospects for Pentax.

06-16-2016, 06:12 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Source?
06-16-2016, 06:26 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Email from EyeFi. HereAnnouncement Regarding Eyefi Cloud

We are pleased to announce that Ricoh Innovations Corporation (RIC) and Eye-Fi Inc have reached an agreement for the acquisition of Eyefi Cloud, and associated apps, by Ricoh. RIC is a member of the Ricoh Group which is a $19B dollar market leader in digital imaging. Ricoh is dedicated to providing imaginative products and services that improve people's lives through products such as its Pentax DSLR, Theta 360 cameras and many others. This unique blending of technology and expertise creates new opportunities to enhance value for our customers.

The Eyefi Cloud team will immediately join Ricoh and is excited about bringing even more innovation to our customers around the world. We are dedicated to maintaining and increasing the quality, support and service that you have come to know from our team. One thing will remain the same, our passion for photography and protecting your valuable memories.

Thank you for your continued support. Please see the below FAQ’s for additional information.

Best Regards,

The Eyefi Cloud Team

Frequently Asked Questions:

How does this affect my current Eyefi Cloud membership/trial?

Current and new Eyefi Cloud customers will continue to enjoy the full benefits of the service. There will be no immediate effects on your account.

All Eyefi Mobi apps will continue to function as they do today.

Can I still purchase Eyefi Cloud subscriptions?

Yes, you can still purchase Eyefi Cloud memberships. There will be no change to recurring payments.

What happens to my content currently stored on Eyefi Cloud?

There are no changes planned at this time. Current members can continue to access all your content in the same way you did before.

Will my Eyefi Mobi Card still work with Eyefi Cloud?

Through the ongoing partnership between Ricoh and Eyefi, all Eyefi Mobi cards will still work with Eyefi Cloud. All Mobi Pro customers can still enjoy the full value of the Eyefi WiFi SD card and a year of Eyefi Cloud service.

What should I expect from Eyefi Cloud going forward?

We have a very exciting development roadmap and you can expect to hear more from us in weeks and months ahead.

Who do I contact if I have issues with Eyefi Cloud?

For now, please visit https://mobihelp.eyefi.com/ to review FAQs and submit a request if needed.

Where can I learn more about Ricoh Innovations?

Please visit Consumer Products | Global | Ricoh to learn more about Ricoh’s consumer product offerings.
06-16-2016, 06:32 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by realitarian Quote
Email from EyeFi. HereAnnouncement Regarding Eyefi Cloud

We are pleased to announce that Ricoh Innovations Corporation (RIC) and Eye-Fi Inc have reached an agreement for the acquisition of Eyefi Cloud, and associated apps, by Ricoh. RIC is a member of the Ricoh Group which is a $19B dollar market leader in digital imaging. Ricoh is dedicated to providing imaginative products and services that improve people's lives through products such as its Pentax DSLR, Theta 360 cameras and many others. This unique blending of technology and expertise creates new opportunities to enhance value for our customers.

The Eyefi Cloud team will immediately join Ricoh and is excited about bringing even more innovation to our customers around the world. We are dedicated to maintaining and increasing the quality, support and service that you have come to know from our team. One thing will remain the same, our passion for photography and protecting your valuable memories.

Thank you for your continued support. Please see the below FAQ’s for additional information.

Best Regards,

The Eyefi Cloud Team

Frequently Asked Questions:

How does this affect my current Eyefi Cloud membership/trial?

Current and new Eyefi Cloud customers will continue to enjoy the full benefits of the service. There will be no immediate effects on your account.

All Eyefi Mobi apps will continue to function as they do today.

Can I still purchase Eyefi Cloud subscriptions?

Yes, you can still purchase Eyefi Cloud memberships. There will be no change to recurring payments.

What happens to my content currently stored on Eyefi Cloud?

There are no changes planned at this time. Current members can continue to access all your content in the same way you did before.

Will my Eyefi Mobi Card still work with Eyefi Cloud?

Through the ongoing partnership between Ricoh and Eyefi, all Eyefi Mobi cards will still work with Eyefi Cloud. All Mobi Pro customers can still enjoy the full value of the Eyefi WiFi SD card and a year of Eyefi Cloud service.

What should I expect from Eyefi Cloud going forward?

We have a very exciting development roadmap and you can expect to hear more from us in weeks and months ahead.

Who do I contact if I have issues with Eyefi Cloud?

For now, please visit https://mobihelp.eyefi.com/ to review FAQs and submit a request if needed.

Where can I learn more about Ricoh Innovations?

Please visit Consumer Products | Global | Ricoh to learn more about Ricoh’s consumer product offerings.
you beat me to it
I h that this will bring better tethering for Pentax DSLRs

Randy

06-16-2016, 06:44 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Ummmmm...EyeFi Cloud is not EyeFi the card maker. It is a cloud data service for file upload.

Steve
06-16-2016, 06:52 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

And here I was coming to post about it
06-16-2016, 07:09 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Ummmmm...EyeFi Cloud is not EyeFi the card maker. It is a cloud data service for file upload.

Steve
Yep! Not very meaningful for hardware technology (EyeFi cards will eventually go away anyway) - but an exclusive cloud hosting service for Ricoh / Pentax that might be embedded in consumer cameras, generating ongoing subscription revenue.

A minor version of the Apple iCloud model.

06-16-2016, 07:23 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote

Steve
Yes same company
Eyefi Products: Compare WiFi Cards: Mobi and Mobi Pro | Eyefi
06-16-2016, 07:30 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Yep! Not very meaningful for hardware technology (EyeFi cards will eventually go away anyway) - but an exclusive cloud hosting service for Ricoh / Pentax that might be embedded in consumer cameras, generating ongoing subscription revenue.

A minor version of the Apple iCloud model.
I guess I don't understand their business model.

Why would I want to put my photos on their cloud for $5 / month when others will store them at no cost to me?
06-16-2016, 07:31 PM   #10
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Acquisition of the cloud service makes a lot of sense going forward, compared to acquisition of the retail business. Not sure how much of a future wireless SD cards have, now that most new devices have native connectivity.

I foresee this technology being leveraged for Theta users

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-16-2016, 07:32 PM - 1 Like   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bobmaxja Quote
Ricoh did not buy EyeFi. They bought the cloud upload app and service. What's more, it is Ricoh Innovations Corp, not Ricoh Imaging Corp that did the purchase.

http://rii.ricoh.com/

Steve
06-16-2016, 07:42 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote

Why would I want to put my photos on their cloud for $5 / month when others will store them at no cost to me?
Well I don't pay for iCloud - but billions of dollars worth of people do.

Tieing this to Theta makes a lot of sense. Ricoh seems to be building a complete spherical ecosystem and they have first-mover advantage.
06-16-2016, 09:28 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Eyefi Cloud??????????????? - ???? Watch
06-16-2016, 10:07 PM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by OoKU Quote
Ricoh Innovations Corporation?????Click
06-17-2016, 01:46 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote

Maybe it is guaranteed storage? (Google drive and dropbox reserved the right to pull the plug permanently at any time without notice). Maybe its served in a privacy friendly country? Maybe the user are not the product (datamined)? I would never use services like Google drive or dropbox for reasons like this, but I would pay for a reliable and ethical service.