Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
06-17-2016, 03:28 AM   #16
Inactive Account

Location: Planet Earth, Sol system, Milky Way galaxy, Universe
I really don't see the use of using a K-mount lens with its huge flange distance on a non-interchangeable lens camera. Besides, if a 31/1.8 is 1500 euros new, I don't see the camera selling for less than that. At that price, who is going to buy it? With a big lens sticking out of it. APS-C fixed-lens cameras should be small and way cheaper than that. Otherwise, people will just buy a Fujifilm X or something.

edit: don't know how this ended up in this topic. Was meant for another one.

Last edited by starbase218; 06-17-2016 at 04:18 AM.
06-17-2016, 03:55 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I think this is more about Ricoh printing business than it is about Camera's.

Last edited by D1N0; 10-31-2016 at 07:40 AM. Reason: cloud pic
06-17-2016, 04:06 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
Yep. It's document management across a broad range of interconnected office imaging systems.
06-17-2016, 04:48 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Ricoh did not buy EyeFi. They bought the cloud upload app and service. What's more, it is Ricoh Innovations Corp, not Ricoh Imaging Corp that did the purchase.

Ricoh Innovations

Steve
I know but it was part of the same company EyeFi cloud was a products of Eyefi

06-17-2016, 04:59 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Yep! Not very meaningful for hardware technology (EyeFi cards will eventually go away anyway) - but an exclusive cloud hosting service for Ricoh / Pentax that might be embedded in consumer cameras, generating ongoing subscription revenue.

A minor version of the Apple iCloud model.
Hopefully with better reliability.
06-17-2016, 05:58 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Pls tell me why I should care about this development, as an average Pentax user?
06-17-2016, 06:47 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Perhaps this is for the B2B?

06-17-2016, 07:53 AM   #23
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Yep. It's document management across a broad range of interconnected office imaging systems.
It is hard to say. Ricoh Innovations is a strange subsidiary of "big Ricoh". At best, they are corporate "cousins" to the business machine and imaging companies. Near as I can tell, they they are an R&D company operating B2B and are not directly related to any product initiatives for imaging (cameras, lenses, and sport optics). The purchase of the EyeFi Cloud product may be related to their visual search initiative.

Steve
07-03-2016, 07:05 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Pls tell me why I should care about this development, as an average Pentax user?
Rawr,

it depends if you use an Eye-Fi X2 or X2 Pro sd card.

I bought 2 some 18 months ago for use with my K3 and GR. With their sale announcement, they also announced that they will no longer support the cards and will brick their wifi function.

Absolutely poor form. They are still selling them on eBay and Amazon!

Pity any mug who pays $100 for one.

Rgds Frankoz

07-03-2016, 10:43 AM   #25
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by frankoz Quote
Rawr,

it depends if you use an Eye-Fi X2 or X2 Pro sd card.

I bought 2 some 18 months ago for use with my K3 and GR. With their sale announcement, they also announced that they will no longer support the cards and will brick their wifi function.

Absolutely poor form. They are still selling them on eBay and Amazon!

Pity any mug who pays $100 for one.

Rgds Frankoz
Are you sure you posted this comment to the right thread?

Let me see:
  • An unrelated subsidiary of Ricoh purchases the EyeFi' Cloud service product
  • A month later, EyeFi definitively orphans several of their non-current products (eol about a year or more) by discontinuing their EyeFi Center configuration service (not the same as EyeFi Cloud).
  • The first point above is pertinent to Pentax users because of the second
Makes perfect sense!

Steve
07-03-2016, 04:23 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Are you sure you posted this comment to the right thread?

Let me see:
  • An unrelated subsidiary of Ricoh purchases the EyeFi' Cloud service product
  • A month later, EyeFi definitively orphans several of their non-current products (eol about a year or more) by discontinuing their EyeFi Center configuration service (not the same as EyeFi Cloud).
  • The first point above is pertinent to Pentax users because of the second
Makes perfect sense!

Steve
Steve,

I am not sure you have your facts correct. It is EyeFi cloud that is being discontinued. In addition, they have signalled an intention to brick the app that allows file transfer to phone or pc.

I know decisions such as these are taken every day obviously, however in this case, there was no announcement until 30 June 2016, with a warning that the app will cease working on 1 October.

It's a case of whether they respect those many clients who forked out considerable fundsfor their products. The perfunctory tone of their email just adds insult to injury.

Furthermore, their website and others already mentioned are still selling the soon to be bricked products.

If they were client focused, I would have thought they could leave legacy access, unsupported perhaps, but not just brick the product.

I take it you don't own an Eye-Fi X2 card?

Rgds

07-04-2016, 04:07 AM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by frankoz Quote
It is EyeFi cloud that is being discontinued.
No it's not. The possibility to configure your card is no longer offered. Cloud is alive and kicking in combination with newer cards or Android/Iphone/windows phone devices. The older cards have security issue's apparently. I am not sure who you mean by the 'they" you are blaming all this on. Surely not Ricoh Imaging?
07-05-2016, 10:47 PM   #28

I'm frankly very annoyed with Ricoh and Eye-fi. I spent £70 on a 16gb Eye-fi X2 card in late Jan 2015 and I find it appalling that after September the card will be rendered useless. This was supposed to be their top of the line professional level card and I don't find it acceptable that they terminate my ability to use the card after only 18month or so of use. When most companies e.g. Microsoft put products into end of line it is usually 5-10 years after they were last made - certainly not within months of it being a current model.

Very very poor form indeed and I for one shall never buy another eye-fi product ever again...

Jonlg
07-06-2016, 03:11 AM   #29
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
This has NOTHING to do with Ricoh, geeeez.
07-06-2016, 06:39 PM   #30
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
This has NOTHING to do with Ricoh, geeeez.
Is there anyway we can get Adam or one of the mods to put a big red explanation at the beginning of this thread explaining that Ricoh Imaging (the camera company) has nothing to do with Eye-Fi or its products or its recently sold cloud service?

Predictably, this matter has taken on a life of its own with forum owners alternately blaming Ricoh or concerned about Ricoh's reputation as a result of Eye-fi's business decisions.

Steve