Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-06-2016, 05:01 PM   #16
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
So is the Samsung Gear 360 Samsung Gear 360 - The Official Samsung Galaxy Site So Ricoh better Hurry. The Theta wasn't originally developed for video.
The Theta is the best-selling 360-degree camera, so they just have to add 4K video support and keep the price reasonable and it'll be good to go.

So far a new model has been coming out every November, so we'll likely see a new model this year too.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

07-06-2016, 07:53 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
It's a bit sad, but I could not recommend anyone buy into the Q at the moment without seeing some signs of life.

---------- Post added 07-07-16 at 07:53 AM ----------

Why not?
Especially if they are on close out prices.

Its as relevant as any pns which gets thrown away after "useful life".
At least with the Q, you just need to buy another body for the lenses (2nd hand one or old new stock)
If I have a RX100iii for example.
If it spoils in 3-5yrs, it goes to the trashcan, can't find a body to use its lens.

Folks expect the Q system to continue, but to what end?
Its a pns type aystem with lenses and the lenses already cover what most buyers needed from uwa to tele, a fast prime, a kit zoom, a fisheye.
07-07-2016, 03:15 AM   #18
JPT
Pentaxian

Sorry. Perhaps I was a bit unclear. If you like what you see now, then it's better value than before. And that UWA can't be matched by any compact, so it's still unique in a way. But if you're waiting for that macro lens on the roadmap or want a more advanced body, I wouldn't want to bet on them ever being released at this point. That's what I wanted to say by "buy INTO the Q", as opposed to just "buy a Q".
08-17-2016, 01:04 AM   #19
ebk
Loyal Site Supporter

oh my god not again a playtoy THETA.

a new Q is a better "toy"

08-17-2016, 02:18 AM   #20
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by ebk Quote
oh my god not again a playtoy THETA.

a new Q is a better "toy"
I think the Theta is selling waaaay better, though.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

08-17-2016, 02:52 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Original Poster
A new Q would only be interesting with superior (i.e not crappy) smartphone connectivity.
08-17-2016, 03:56 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Facebook support for 360 has really boosted interest in cameras like the Theta. 4K video would be great but I'd also like an increase in still image IQ so that I can take sections of a 360 for print.
08-17-2016, 05:04 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Though I'm not a fan but, if Theta is the thing that gives high profits to the imaging division, it should be supported. I wouldn't argue with that decision.